R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Cool Brush or not to brush???

What if any are the advantages of the brushless stuff compared to brushed??? Im trying to get back into the racing scene and dont know much about the brushless components. From what i gather, u have to buy motor, speed controller and new batteries.... is it that much better????
brickshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From what I have heard and seen, yes, it is that much better, even if you don't change over to LiPo's.
howtowakeakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickshouse View Post
What if any are the advantages of the brushless stuff compared to brushed??? Im trying to get back into the racing scene and dont know much about the brushless components. From what i gather, u have to buy motor, speed controller and new batteries.... is it that much better????
In my opinion, brushless is a night a day difference from brushed. Almost no maintenance, consistent performance, more power and more efficiency. Even on NiMH brushless is better.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

YES, after the initial sticker shock for the esc and motor wares off you won't go back to brushed!!!

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The brushless cost $$, the brushed motor is less expensive. Brushless lasts longer, some say forever. Brushed motors a year if your lucky. Brushless is the way to go these days. They are way faster than brushed motors. To answer you question, Yes you need to buy a speed control that can run a brushless motor. You dont need any new batteries. You can run 6 cell batteries with the brushless setup. If you wont major power you can get lipo batteries. There is no comparison between a brushed and a brushless motor. There is a huge increase in power, efficency etc. They have an extremely high power to weight ratio
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

snowboard094,

That is to with brushed setups being cheaper, however they are more maintaince especially when u get into mod motors. Gotta worry about brushess hangin up, performance diminishig and also they use more batt power. Now bruhsless run cooler, a lot less maintaince and and run longer, systems are a lot more efficient.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

Brushless are definitely less maintenance and more efficient. If you don't have ready access to a comm lathe and experience rebuidling motors you'll probably be much happier going brushless right away.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Talking

Thanks everone, with that said, what brushless motor would be comparable to a 12 turn mod motor? Also, i have a couple 2400nimh and some 3300nimh batteries, i can use them with the brushless esc? How do i convert them if so?
brickshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #9

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

it is true in offroad, however what i'm observing in onroad perhaps not so much considerin how folks are goin thru motors at the rate some are. when 1 of those goes pop, its a 80$ pill not a 30$ pill (stock for stock)

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you plan on racing or even just bashing, brushless is the way to go. I have been racing for nearly 2 decades and can tell you from experience, that brushless = more driving time!

If you are planning on racing stock (ROAR 27t brushed vs. 17.5 brushless), there is no real speed difference. A well maintained and tuned brushed is just as fast as a brushless. There is a lot of difference in the way you gear and drive them. They are not the same by anymeans, just in overall power for the race class. Brushless however is almost ZERO maintainence!

Brushless has come way down in price over the past few months. You can get a Novak Havoc with a motor (your choice of 8.5, 10.5, 13.5 & 17.5) for $149 just about everywhere. It is "sensored" making it preform more efficiently. Most top of the line ESC for brushed run that much alone.

As for batteries, you don't need a LiPo to run brushless. They run fine on NiMh batteries. LiPo though is also a lot less maintainence. Run it.. charge it.. run it again.. over and over as much as you want. No discharging or memory for these batteries, though they cost anywhere from twice to 5 times a 6 cell NiMh pack. If they are not damaged, they are supposed to have 10x the life of a NiMh. You do need special chargers that have the proper LiPo profile and maybe a "balancer" if it is not built in to your charger. Just make sure you do not run them too low. Most new ESC for brushless have a LiPo cutoff. If you run them down to low they are ruined. I actual race 2 classes a night on 2 batteries. Just put them on the charger after your race and it's ready before the next heat.

Biggest thing you'll notice from days past is how much drive time you get. Brushless motors take less juice, so you can run a long time... and you have lots of spare time in the pits... much less to do with a brushless/lipo setup.

Have fun!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickshouse View Post
Thanks everone, with that said, what brushless motor would be comparable to a 12 turn mod motor? Also, i have a couple 2400nimh and some 3300nimh batteries, i can use them with the brushless esc? How do i convert them if so?
You will find that a 10.5 or 8.5 is probably equal to a brushed 12t. Your batteries if they are old will probably not work to well if you buy a sensorless setup like a Mamba Sidewinder... if you go sensored, you will probably be ok.. but you will want new batts. A lot of the speed has to do with gearing... forget what you knew about brushed.. its different.

Most off-road mod guys are running 6.5 and 7.5 around here.. so much faster than the old days.

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I kept running my brushed stuff....and still do. I think if you are tight on a budget going LiPo is better to do first. You do have to get a charger and the batts, but I think the payoff is better doing it that way.

You just need to monitor your run times and lipo voltage someway as to not pull them down to far.

I just bought my first brushless setup saturday, It will be nice to see the difference.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am new to all this stuff also. I am supporting 3 of us running rc's.
thefirst thing i did was buy a charger that does both lipo and nimh's.
I bought a bunch of nimh's. didnt mind it at first but it quickly became a pain when we started to race.
said forget it and bought 4 lipo's and a balancer. i should have just went that route the first time. best move so far i have made.
my next move is a brushless system for mine. then i will work on getting one for each of my boys.
i dont want to buy all the lathes and mess with rebuilding the motors.
in the long run brushless will be alot cheaper. esp if you get the novak havoc system. or if you are just bashing i think the traxxas vxl system would be ok also.

just get the brushless and lipos and dont look back.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote