R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #31
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Unless it becomes somethig that beginners can do it will continue to be a fringe class.

This is an emerging class - quite different than fringe.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
At least you use something, most people don't! Will the blinky stop the charger from charging if there is something wrong with the pack?
no you have to be smart enough to know what it says on the readout when you are looking at it..
ShtLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
This is an emerging class - quite different than fringe.
It can't be an emerging class unless it appeals and is geared so that beginners can become invlolved.

If it remains a class only for experienced it will be like 1/8 on-road which in my opinion is a fringe class is in the U.S.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtLuck View Post
no you have to be smart enough to know what it says on the readout when you are looking at it..
So it doesn't do much good if you are on the drivers stand and your battery decides to crap out. This is what caused one of the fires that I have seen. The charger was set to the wrong mode and the driver was on the stand driving a heat. Without being able to see the individual cells the charger can not make good decisions about what it is supposed to do!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
It can't be an emerging class unless it appeals and is geared so that beginners can become invlolved.

If it remains a class only for experienced it will be like 1/8 on-road which in my opinion is a fringe class is in the U.S.
Maybe we need another spec class for 1/8th
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default hard or soft cases

i have a 4s zippy pack and 1 losi hard case the tap wires on the hard case broke off inside already junk 200 bucks pack zippy pack about 100 bucks works great.... just my 2 cents screw the hard cases at my track ive seen more swolen hard cases and blown up hard cases than the soft cases cmon lets get the 1/8 classes going first before they have the great debate of crybabies
oneblackram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The main players (OEM) have made their cars to accept the current ROAR approved batteries. I don't even own one. I personally do not like hard case, or the size of two 2s packs, however I will gladly run what they are purposing and help the class grow.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

I believe 1/8th scale electric is way too early to start setting limits. ROAR really needs to pay attention to the racers, the people with the real voices. We the racers are the main ones who are experimenting on the best setup for our local tracks. The racers are the ones who's knows what works and what doesn't. For my home track, we are all using 4s, 5s, and 6s setup. In terms of battery casing, why not develop a lipo case that is made with the kit of the car and ROAR stamp that. that way, true racers can choose their own batteries and yet still be ROAR approved. i know lipo comes in many different sizes, but leave that issue with the car manufactures. ROAR needs to support decisions to help this class bring cost down instead of up. Unless they are purposely setting us up for failure.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

No one racing 1/8 electric that I've talked to cares what ROAR stipulates because they aren't racing in ROAR events with them. They shot themselves in the foot by making bad rulings without taking a look at what was currently in use. They wanted to mold the future of the class but they were too late to the game to do that.

Why limit to 4s or (even worse) 2x2s? Electric 1/8 is similar to modified - no need to limit how much power a racer can put into their RC. Durability and drivability will be it's own limit. As said already, higher voltage is more more efficient also.

No need for hardcased lipos. I'd like to see numbers on what percentage of LiPo failures at the track could have been prevented by a hardcase. From what I've seen it's always a charge/discharge mistake, not a physical damage issue. In fact the last two lipos that I've seen puff were hardcased (one caught fire). Wrap that cell up in a hard shell and now you can't see when the battery is puffing or smoking until too late.

No need for a weight limit. Obvious enough.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
It can't be an emerging class unless it appeals and is geared so that beginners can become involved.

IMO, this class has grown exponentially and is indeed an emerging class and will continue to do so.

Regulated it to death before the best set can be determined doesn't make sense.

550 Mafia.
Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #41
Tech Addict

You know, this HARD CASE thing is so contradicting. If anything, it should be a SOFT PADDED CASING to absorb impact!!! DUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
BINGO!

True. The best answer to the already tested for a few years problem.
Schmutz ist für den Rennsport, asphalt ist für die Anreise
lxmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:

On that - we can disagree. On both counts. But in a nice way

A true beginner class is the Slash - I love my Slash. $200 of pure fun.

Nothing more I need to say - ta ta, for now. Oh ya, we're building an electric 1/8th On-Road, too.... Super Fringy!!!
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
IMO, this class has grown exponentially and is indeed an emerging class and will continue to do so.

Regulated it to death before the best set can be determined doesn't make sense.
This is what I meant by the brushles/LiPo analogy. With these technologies ROAR was blasted for waiting too late and not being proactive. Now they are blasted for the opposite.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The main players (OEM) have made their cars to accept the current ROAR approved batteries. I don't even own one. I personally do not like hard case, or the size of two 2s packs, however I will gladly run what they are purposing and help the class grow.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
This is what I meant by the brushles/LiPo analogy. With these technologies ROAR was blasted for waiting too late and not being proactive. Now they are blasted for the opposite.
They were blasted for making rulings based on what they felt the class should be, and ignoring what was currently available. A ROAR rep posted in the Electric 8th Scale Conversions thread when this topic originally came up, and said that was their reasoning. They ignored the fact that nearly every current electric 8th buggy would be outlawed by their rulings. That's not healthy for the class or ROAR's image and following.

Rules are needed yes, but they need to be realistic to what is available.