R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #136
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What is it about 5-6s packs that people refuse to understand or have an aversion too?The reason to run these packs are to achieve the same run time and performance as a typical 4s setup,but with greater efficiency and lower temps.The people running these setups are running lower KV motors to get into an acceptable RPM range to boot to make the car raceable.If you cant understand this SIMPLE concept,please find another hobby because you are the types that we need to be afraid of.There should be a level of responsibility/accountability here individually.This class is not for beginners.Get over it!
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #137
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
What is it about 5-6s packs that people refuse to understand or have an aversion too?The reason to run these packs are to achieve the same run time and performance as a typical 4s setup,but with greater efficiency and lower temps.The people running these setups are running lower KV motors to get into an acceptable RPM range to boot to make the car raceable.If you cant understand this SIMPLE concept,please find another hobby because you are the types that we need to be afraid of.There should be a level of responsibility/accountability here individually.This class is not for beginners.Get over it!
Dude you are classic! Go tell Losi to stop making the 4s 5000mah pack for the same reason. You are right, but your logic does not exist on the local hobby shops shelf yet!
thuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #138
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuren View Post
Dude you are classic! Go tell Losi to stop making the 4s 5000mah pack for the same reason. You are right, but your logic does not exist on the local hobby shops shelf yet!
what local hobby store FULLY support 1/8th electric? none that i know of. 95% of my purchases are online. Don't worry about losi, worry about Tekin. They know what's up with higher voltage, lower KV setups.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #139
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
im running at ARC this weekend... what's the SB crew?

what time do rev start racing on Saturday?
Yikes ARC is way down there.

Sorry SB crew= Santa Barbara crew.

I think racing starts at 10am on Saturday. Probably a light race day with the Nitro Pit packed..
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #140
Tech Regular

Quote:
what local hobby store FULLY support 1/8th electric? none that i know of. 95% of my purchases are online. Don't worry about losi, worry about Tekin. They know what's up with higher voltage, lower KV setups.
My tiny local shop has a 8ight E pack on the shelf.

Again, we all know higher voltage is the way to go, but as long as companies like Losi are catering to the 4s crowd, thats is what we should all worry about. I would rather the class grow, and have more people to race with, instead of be this cool niche.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #141
Tech Champion

Quote:
My tiny local shop has a 8ight E pack on the shelf.

Again, we all know higher voltage is the way to go, but as long as companies like Losi are catering to the 4s crowd, thats is what we should all worry about. I would rather the class grow, and have more people to race with, instead of be this cool niche.
BUT, losi is not the only choice. you have castle creation and will soon have Tekin. just order online.

i may ride to Rev this weekend. I just text a friend and he said he is down. so, we'll see... what time does the gates open? also, how is the truggy class there?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
I CAN run 15min, but not driving balls out to win. I'm talking WIN the race not preserve battery to see how long of a runtime I can claim I get. We should be talking about how fast you CAN dump, not how long can you make the battery last.
I wouldnt set up a nitro to drain the tank as fast as it can, why would you do that with an electric. Thats just a goofy argument in my mind.

The ideal setup has enough power to clear all obsticals on the course and just barly hits its top speed on the longest straight on the track. We all know that even the slowest 1/8 electric setup has more acceleration than the tires can keep on the ground. Using a motor with any more power than that is just wasting it cuz you arent turning faster laps because of it. A well setup buggy can run 15 minutes with no problem on 4s 5000, 5s 4000mah, or 6s 3333mah. You can argue all you want, but give me any buggy and any lipo with that much energy in it and you can put a system in it that will put down more power than you can use and make 15 minutes without fail.

Quote:
Losi also makes 5s 4000mah pack in case you weren't aware.

Another goofy argument by the way....

EDIT: I agree w/ teeforb... dont base what a good setup is on what losi did with their systems. That was a pretty poor offering from an electronics and motor standpoint IMO. Buy the roller and conversion kit and get your motor and electronics from someone that knows what they are doing.

Edit #2: I dont get the mentalaity that racing is only driving like an animal with no thought to strategy or setup. The point in my mind is the challange of geting the whole package right. Not just saying I can drain my pack in 5 minutes if I never let off the throttle so the race should only be 5 minutes.

Last edited by jhautz; 02-17-2009 at 10:40 PM.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #143
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
I wouldnt set up a nitro to drain the tank as fast as it can, why would you do that with an electric. Thats just a goofy argument in my mind.

Losi also makes 5s 4000mah pack in case you weren't aware.

Another goofy argument by the way....
Sheesh all this over 10min races.

Maybe I have one of those magical power sucker tracks. I don't know... All I'm saying is that I am not the only one who's car only runs 13 or so min tops. maybe I could lower my LVC setting to get the 15min? Hmmmmm, I think that may catch on and is sure to be safe.

- There would be so many people stressing that they can't make the 15min race if they take a warm up lap or two just to test traction.

- There would be quite a few racers, including me, with my horrible 2200kv POS NEU motor swapping batteries with one min to go in the race.

Well I guess according to you guys my setup sucks. I plan to go to 6s but damn, you guys are a funny 15min+ club or something as you are so concerned with it.

Even if you can make 16min of race time, whay push it so close? It's not like we have a pit guy ready to do a 7 second "recharge" like the nitro guys.

Goofy..

Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #144
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
We're not against 6S itself... It's more that person, their first time out, with 6S and a 3000kV motor

Which is why I suggested RPM limits instead of cell limits... If someone wants to run 10S, go hard, but do it with like a 900kV motor
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #145
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post

Edit #2: I dont get the mentalaity that racing is only driving like an animal with no thought to strategy or setup. The point in my mind the challange of geting the whole package right. Not just saying I can drain my pack in 5 minutes if I never let off the throttle so the race should only be 5 minutes.
I'm saying know your limits on different tracks, different temps, surfaces, no matter what the track requires from you to drive it and be able to compete. No different than Nitro except we can't do the magic 7 second refuel, and our run times are so spread out.

Didn't Glassdoctor above say that they they had to adjust race times down and they did not know why? Apparently you guys know why, as you are not prone to this. Care to enlighten us?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #146
Tech Champion

Quote:
Sheesh all this over 10min races.

Maybe I have one of those magical power sucker tracks. I don't know... All I'm saying is that I am not the only one who's car only runs 13 or so min tops. maybe I could lower my LVC setting to get the 15min? Hmmmmm, I think that may catch on and is sure to be safe.

- There would be so many people stressing that they can't make the 15min race if they take a warm up lap or two just to test traction.

- There would be quite a few racers, including me, with my horrible 2200kv POS NEU motor swapping batteries with one min to go in the race.

Well I guess according to you guys my setup sucks. I plan to go to 6s but damn, you guys are a funny 15min+ club or something as you are so concerned with it.

Even if you can make 16min of race time, whay push it so close? It's not like we have a pit guy ready to do a 7 second "recharge" like the nitro guys.

Goofy..

jus answer me this... why are you running a 1515 on a buggy...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #147
Tech Regular

Quote:
jus answer me this... why are you running a 1515 on a buggy...
Because it is using the chassis as a heatsink. As soon as Tekno comes out with the square can 1512 I'll be all over it.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric 1/8 Rules Debate-mbx61.jpg   Electric 1/8 Rules Debate-mbx62.jpg   Electric 1/8 Rules Debate-mbx63.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #148
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm saying know your limits on different tracks, different temps, surfaces, no matter what the track requires from you to drive it and be able to compete. No different than Nitro except we can't do the magic 7 second refuel, and our run times are so spread out.

Didn't Glassdoctor above say that they they had to adjust race times down and they did not know why? Apparently you guys know why, as you are not prone to this. Care to enlighten us?
I honestly don't know. I have been pretty consistent from a mah/minute perspective at the different tracks I have raced on. With my current setup, I think the max I have burned per minute is probably 230 mah/minute. I am normally around 200-210. After a 5 minute qualifier with about 2-3 minutes of warm up laps, I usually put 1600 back in my 5s 4000 pack.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #149
Tech Champion

Quote:
Because it is using the chassis as a heatsink. As soon as Tekno comes out with the square can 1512 I'll be all over it.
any reason why u didn't use a standard motor mount... but one reason why ur losing runtime is just because of the 1515 motor.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #150
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I will say 15 minutes is a challenge for me in a hard driven truggy with what is considered a "normal" size pack. I just got a 5s 6000 pack to give myself a little breathing room. I was right up against it with a 5s 5000 pack burning around 4700mah in a 15 minute main.

I personally like the 15 minute format because its long enough to feel like a main to me but still very achievable, has enough time that even if you have a rough first lap with the heavy traffic. (usually seems like some idiot takes me out in the first lap and I spend the rest of the race playing catch up) with the longer main there is still enough time to reel the leadersback in. 10 minutes just doesnt have that extra cushion allow you to make up for any early mishaps.

The 3x10 minute thing might be great, but I personallay havent ever raced that format before. But I guess I will this summer. I plan to run the RCPro series races this year.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote