Wiki Posts
Search

B44 One-way diff question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default B44 One-way diff question

So I put a one-way diff in my B44 about a month ago. I've run the B44 with the one-way diff for a few practices and one race day (3 five minute qualifiers and 1 five minute main). Of course the wheels drive when the gears are being driven, but spin freely when the motor stops driving. However, I noticed at tonight's practice that the left wheel (drivers view) will stop spinning well before the right wheel. I never noticed this before, so I don't know if it was always like this/supposed to be like this, or if something is wrong now. It almost seems like the left side may be binding, although I can spin it by hand and I don't notice any binding.

There's a part of me that wonders if this is due to the fact that the diff ring gear is on the left side, thus there is resistance that makes that side stop spinning first. Otherwise, could the left side bearing be shot already?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just put a one way in the front of my B44 but haven't raced it yet. The left wheel on mine also stops spinning first but is nice and smooth. I don't think there is a problem as long as you greased the one way bearings as per the instructions. How did you like the one way in your car ? what did you notice as far as performance pro's and con's ?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

The problem you describe doesn't sound that important to be honest, as long as it's not instantly stopping then it's not going to be a factor. It usually just from overtightning that wheel, or ofcourse a shafted bearing.
Do you have anything in the outdrive to stop it creeping out? a spring or some foam? (not sure what the B44 one way comes with)

XGOD! are you Bmags mate?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by X God
I just put a one way in the front of my B44 but haven't raced it yet. The left wheel on mine also stops spinning first but is nice and smooth. I don't think there is a problem as long as you greased the one way bearings as per the instructions. How did you like the one way in your car ? what did you notice as far as performance pro's and con's ?
I think I may have figured it out. I removed the CVA's so I could watch the drive cups spin by themselves. Both drive cups spin at the same rate when there is no CVA attached. This leads me to believe that either my left cva bone is bent, or the cva cup bearings are shot. Visually, I can't see a bend in the cva but it may be there.

After further research I found that because the one way diff is "locked" unlike the normal diff; it's less forgiving and can cause other parts to break. I hope it's as simple as that.

Yup, I greased the bearings as per the instructions. The one-way makes the B44 steer soo much sharper. However, you have less brake effect when you let off the throttle so the car doesn't stop as quickly as it normally would. I bumped up my initial brake on my controller one step to help compensate.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Originally Posted by oople

HA HA HA HA HA......................

Sorry Lou,

Couldn't resist laughing at that. You coming to Albion this weekend?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

I won't be able to make it Robbie, Found out today I'm on call at work
Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by oople

Not a chance in hell, I'll leave that up to Robbie