Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!! >

C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
the only thing that keeps me from buying SMC batts is the wire config. I like to use bullet plugs on the batt so if a wire gets nicked or somthing I can change the harness, and batts with the wire exiting the side requires chassis mods

+1

Danny, if you see this- Are there any plans to go to non-internal wiring and the more common method of balancing (like TP, Orion, Intellect, etc)?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Company Representative

Here is my take on inboard connectors versus outboard wires and connectors.

To use inboard connectors we must use a circuit board to solder the female tubes. This means extra resistance as there will be more solder points. Connectors can get dirty and worn out so using inboard tubes means you can't replace them from time to time to keep the resistance as low as possible. The possibilty of reverse polarity is possible. So these are the negative things about inboard connectors. The positive thing is that wires can be changed and there is no external balance connector. It also looks cleaner/nicer but I don't think this is an advantage.

Outboard wires and connectors offers the racer to change his connectors to keep resistance at a minimum when needed. Reverse polarity is not possible when using a Deans or Traxxas style connector. If a racer wants the lowest possible resistance he can hardwire to the packs wires.

Our goal at SMC is to offer the best possible packs as far as performance so it really makes no sense for use to use the best possible cells and connect them in a way that will increase the IR.

We do plan on releasing EFRA/BRCA packs that will have inboard tubes as the Europeans have been using Bullet style connectors for years so Deans or Traxxas connectors will not go to well in the part of thr world.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Here is my take on inboard connectors versus outboard wires and connectors.

To use inboard connectors we must use a circuit board to solder the female tubes. This means extra resistance as there will be more solder points. Connectors can get dirty and worn out so using inboard tubes means you can't replace them from time to time to keep the resistance as low as possible. The possibilty of reverse polarity is possible. So these are the negative things about inboard connectors. The positive thing is that wires can be changed and there is no external balance connector. It also looks cleaner/nicer but I don't think this is an advantage.

Outboard wires and connectors offers the racer to change his connectors to keep resistance at a minimum when needed. Reverse polarity is not possible when using a Deans or Traxxas style connector. If a racer wants the lowest possible resistance he can hardwire to the packs wires.

Our goal at SMC is to offer the best possible packs as far as performance so it really makes no sense for use to use the best possible cells and connect them in a way that will increase the IR.

We do plan on releasing EFRA/BRCA packs that will have inboard tubes as the Europeans have been using Bullet style connectors for years so Deans or Traxxas connectors will not go to well in the part of thr world.
I personally prefer bullet connectors, IR is important but when using a deans/traxxas/tamiya plug you are adding many more connections that may not be needed and that will add resistance.

Have you tested Trakpower power against your cells? If so, how do they compare?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Company Representative

There is more resistance when using inboard connectors as the circuit board adds solder points. I will try to get the difference in resistance soon as we do have circuit boards for our EFRA packs so I can try and measure the difference.

I really don't like to compare our packs to our competitors packs. The best thing to do is to try one of our packs and come to your own conclusions.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

There is more resistance when using inboard connectors as the circuit board adds solder points. I will try to get the difference in resistance soon as we do have circuit boards for our EFRA packs so I can try and measure the difference.

I really don't like to compare our packs to our competitors packs. The best thing to do is to try one of our packs and come to your own conclusions.
are you scared??? if the packs are as good as you say they are you should have nothing to worry about...

I for one run cheap 5000s from truerc.com its hard to beat $75 for a good lipo...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Company Representative

are you scared??? if the packs are as good as you say they are you should have nothing to worry about...

I for one run cheap 5000s from truerc.com its hard to beat $75 for a good lipo...

No I'm not scared but it does me or my company no good to start talking about our competitors products.

Our 5200/24C has a street price of 85.00 which is not bad for a pack that goes through distribution.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Isn't the SMC 4900mah saddle pack really popular for the AE B44? I read a few posts back that you didn't have any packs that fir the AE cars??....maybe i read that wrong? If those 4900 saddles fit a B44....i'll be looking into getting a couple packs.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

No I'm not scared but it does me or my company no good to start talking about our competitors products.

Our 5200/24C has a street price of 85.00 which is not bad for a pack that goes through distribution.
you can find them for less too, but I still can't stand not having bullet plugs...

mabey solder posts will be the next big thing in lipo...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I hear you. All that would do is start a pissing contest (and maybe even legal action) and no one needs that.

Still, I bet when you test someone else's pack and it falls far short it takes a herculean effort to keep from screaming it to the world.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get me the size of the AE battery tray and what is the maximum height and I will see what I can come up with but it will have to be a softcase pack.

Danny,
thanks for considering!

The dimensions with the pads in place are as follows:

143X48X33 mm. I could remove the pads and it would add about 2 mm but its minimal. Take your time and see what you could make, and if its even economically feasable for you to make a custome pack, you have to make money too. But I bet you would sell a bunch to the AE guys.

thanks again,

Trout
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
Isn't the SMC 4900mah saddle pack really popular for the AE B44? I read a few posts back that you didn't have any packs that fir the AE cars??....maybe i read that wrong? If those 4900 saddles fit a B44....i'll be looking into getting a couple packs.
We don't have a 4S pack that fits the 1/8th AE conversion.

Our saddle does fit the B44 and I will try and get a picture to show how a friend of mine mounts it.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Company Representative

you can find them for less too, but I still can't stand not having bullet plugs...

mabey solder posts will be the next big thing in lipo...
Solder posts is a good idea but would still require the use of a circuit board plus some rules now state that connectors must be used.

You can put bullet connectors on the 12 gauge wires intead of Deans .
Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
My SMC inventory is as follows:

2 x 2S 28C 7.4v 5000mAh
2 x 2S 24C 7.4v 5200mAh

My understanding is that the 28C uses higher quality cells. Danny, my 28C's have handwritten output results on the packaging, is that something you're doing?

I use the 28C's for Slash racing, yes, overkill, but the only electric racing I do is Slash and 2WD truck (Team AE T4). The weight of the 28C makes it perfect for the Slash and it allows that 12t to draw all the power it could ever dream of.

The 24C for the T4 is awesome, perfect weight, and when mated a Mamba Max and 5700kV there is more power than anyone could ever handle.

I would probably buy the 24C 5200's from now on, they're almost half the price of the 28c and for my applications they're still more than enough battery.

Keep up the good work SMC, you batteries really do deliver.
Our new softcase 9000/28C E-Revo pack will fit the Slash with the optional Traxxas battery mounting kit. Our sample pack has great IR and voltage. 4.8 IR and 7.51 voltage at the wires where the female Deans is soldered.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We don't have a 4S pack that fits the 1/8th AE conversion.

Our saddle does fit the B44 and I will try and get a picture to show how a friend of mine mounts it.
I posted the dimensions of the AE pack, I know its physically possible to make one, as I have one from Zippy, its just wether it will work into your business plan. And that is entirely up to you and your company. I respect your right to produce what you want. But.....if you make it, I will buy it and I bet others will too.

Trout
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have compared my 5200/24c to the orion 3800/35c and i found they are equal to each other in punch but the 5200/24c just holds the punch forever. Ultra long runtime compared to the 3800/35c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.