R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I know this is the wrong place for this question but on the SMC saddle packs they have the deans connector. Is it just plugged into the pack or is that wire hard wired to the pack. Got a pack on the way now and need to plan. Thanks for any info!
joelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bet I could get my local hobby shop to carry SMC packs as well, the Castor guys are based here is Des Moines, Ia. and the local hobby shops is very progressive and open to trying new things. Great guys there.
trout
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #78
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
I would like to personally thank danny/smc for making some great packs I've purchased my first hardcase lipo a 4100mah 24c a month ago I was so happy with the performance and price i went out and bought 2 more.. I plan on getting 3 C-maxx packs when I get my tax return this weekend. A+ products!
Thanks. Glad to hear our packs are doing well for you.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #79
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwhite View Post
I know this is the wrong place for this question but on the SMC saddle packs they have the deans connector. Is it just plugged into the pack or is that wire hard wired to the pack. Got a pack on the way now and need to plan. Thanks for any info!
Yes the 10 gauge wires are soldered to the tabs of the cells inside the case.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #80
Company Representative

If you guys can confirm the maximum height that the packs can be that will allow the AE body to still fit well I will go ahead and have a pack made.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

AWESOME.. i am waiting on mine in the mail or I would be measuring right now.
bigbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #82
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I only buy AE as well, been that way for 20+ years when I got my first RC10 back in 88 when I gave up my Grasshopper and Hornet.
demon510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #83
Company Representative

Cool I use to own a Hornet.

I hope someone will read this can get us the max height we can go to and still fit in the body.

If we can go an extra 3.2mm in height we can do an extra 400mAh.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #84
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Cool I use to own a Hornet.

I hope someone will read this can get us the max height we can go to and still fit in the body.

If we can go an extra 3.2mm in height we can do an extra 400mAh.
Dont you miss the super hot ballast resistors and mechanical speed controllers? I dont think I could count the number of times I burned my fingers on them.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #85
Company Representative

I must of bought 15 of the Tamiya mechinacal speed controls. They really didn't work for a long time. Loved my first Aristo Craft electronic speed control that weighed close to a poound. LOL
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
There is more resistance when using inboard connectors as the circuit board adds solder points. I will try to get the difference in resistance soon as we do have circuit boards for our EFRA packs so I can try and measure the difference.

I really don't like to compare our packs to our competitors packs. The best thing to do is to try one of our packs and come to your own conclusions.
ETA on your bullet packs?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #87
ssg
Tech Rookie

As someone who comes to cars about 6 months ago from electric airplanes for about a year before that it seems like the surface guys are kinda behind the times. I’ve asked some of the old timers around here why only 2 cells when you can get more power and efficiancy from 3 or more. Some guys seem to think that ROAR limits us to two for liability reasons? Also the requirment for the hard pack seems like a way for ROAR to artificially impede new entrants into the field which serves to keep prices high. With ROAR’s new requirment for 13.5 max in SS with no explanation that I can tell it seems like they aren’t really a governing body with the users best interests at heart (I was forced to buy 2 new motors to stay in SS class very shortly after buying them). We fly airplanes with soft packs and yes occasionally one goes in in such a fashion that the pack goes up; but, if a car were to hit so hard that it destroyed the battery in my AE T4 for example whose tray already completely surrounds the battery with much thicker plastic than that which these crappy little hard packs are made out of would be nearly beyond the realm of reason that the plastic would provide any additional real protection. Note to end users: If you are marshalling and a car crashes and breaks in half in front of you don’t be in a huge hurry to run over and see if the pack is still intact! The small fire will be your first cue.

Danny it is always nice to see a manufacture interacting with their customers on these forums. I have a question regarding the current that one of these cars is capable of pulling? No one I’ve asked so far seems able to answer this. As a former electronics tech in the US Navy I find it hard to believe some of the manufactures claims that their speed controls can handle 4 or 5 hundred amps? My question leads a little into some of the comments you have made recently regarding C ratings. At some point we must reach a point of diminishing returns when we put a High C (heavy/expensive) battery in a car that doesn’t draw the current to justify its use. So if we knew typical current draws I think that would help those of us who like the technical aspects of the hobby. Of course I can see the incentive for a manufacture (not that you would ) to claim the highest C that can be made with current technology is what we need for our speed dreams to come true and a couple of the local guys swear by their high C batteries delivering more punch but I wonder if some of these claims aren’t an attempt to justify their purchase?

As far as bullets are concerned I have started switching my cars over to Deans primarily because I have already burned up one battery because I got in a hurry and reversed polarity. I know I’m getting an effectively higher IR since I now have two connectors between my battery and my speed control but this will change as I wear out my older batteries and replace them with internal tab welded wires going straight to Deans. At my current skill level I don’t think any marginal loss in power hurts me anyway. The other problem I have noticed with bullets is that eventually they lose their spring and then the connection gets really prone to breaking down. Has anyone found a bullet manufacture that doesn’t have this problem? Deans may be a pain to learn to solder and occasionally I still ruin one during assembly but once put together right they are a solid and long lasting connector.
Also like to throw in a request for batteries for AE products. Around here MOHR in Denver AE and LOSI are just about all anyone runs. Oh and of course the Slash.

Thanks, Steve
ssg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

"Quality Control from manufacturers in China" is like saying "Intelligent life on the planet Mercury"

It just does not exist...
Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #89
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
"Quality Control from manufacturers in China" is like saying "Intelligent life on the planet Mercury"

It just does not exist...
It exists, but you have to pay heavily for it and your product costs go up.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #90
Tech Addict

Quote:
Our new softcase 9000/28C E-Revo pack will fit the Slash with the optional Traxxas battery mounting kit. Our sample pack has great IR and voltage. 4.8 IR and 7.51 voltage at the wires where the female Deans is soldered.
Danny, these are 9000 mah right? They are not on your site yet, When will they be there?
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote