R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #226
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post
If that's not going to happen, I'd at least like as much technical information as possible including tolerances, life cycles, and C rating. In the end, sticking with a well known and trusted brand that's been around for a while is probably the best option for all of us.
Good news as it seems like Danny is doing some tests to provide you with this.....are there any other companies doing this besides just the C rating on the box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Yes, and when you buy Brembo calipers you're not asking who they may or may not subcontract out the pistons to -- you're trusting Brembo to have assembled a top-quality product based on their reputation and your past experience with them.
very much agree!!

Deuce Drop Racing | Team Carbon | Chad Due Circle of Trust |
S & N Trackside | www.rcscoringpro.com | www.liverc.com |
Bodies by Buck or Sarah
McDonough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #227
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post
Jack, I see your point but I don't think the eating out comparison is relevant. I know when I shop for performance parts for my full size car, I won't by anything from an unknown manufacturer. Names like Brembo, Carbotech, Nismo, etc carry a lot of weight. Racing, full size or RC, is all about maximizing performance and I want to get what I pay for. Unknown commodities are generally a bad idea and most of the time when I've tried to save some money on no name parts, I ended up buying the quality product the second time around and paying more in the end. In RC, knowing the manufacturer of the cells may not be as important, but it's not unreasonable information for the consumer to have. If that's not going to happen, I'd at least like as much technical information as possible including tolerances, life cycles, and C rating. In the end, sticking with a well known and trusted brand that's been around for a while is probably the best option for all of us.
A lot of places will not give out the info due to competition. They don't want you to go after their source and find out how much the packs really are. Most of the high C cells are made in Korea and China. There are a few places in Taiwan as well.
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #228
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

SMC is brand name that has been around for awhile and we support the RC racing industry. We have always provided the RC racer with the highest performing sub-c cells/packs. We had to switch to Lipo or get out of the industry and we decided to switch to Lipo. We did our homework and we found what we feel is the best possible source for our high performance Lipos.

I have all the date to back up what I say and have shown out on various thread. I realy don't see what good it would do to reveal the name of our manufacturer as no one has really heard of them and they don't even have a website.

Our competitors who do list who they buy from don't even show the info we show about our Lipos C rate and cycle life. As a consumer would you rather we show you the actual info or give you a name of the manufacturer we buy from and not show info ?
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #229
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Danny I have a question. How much more would it cost to have the cells manufactured in the US? I mean would your batteries cost 10,20,30 percent more?

Just curious and I know it is a bit off topic.
huskerdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #230
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflgator View Post
Why is it that only companies like orion, polyquest, flightpower, and i think thunderpower release info on their cells but others like maxamps....etc...etc don't say who manufactures their cells. interesting!
In my opinion, they do this because the name of the cell manufacturer carries more weight than their own.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #231
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Due to the difference in labor costs alone it would have to be atleast 50% more but then there are other costs that should be even more in the US.

Take A123 they are a US company who makes there cells in Korea and China. There is no way to compete in North America.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #232
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's amazing how cheap people forced into labor will work for.

I imagine the environmental regulations would also increase costs.

Last edited by huskerdually; 02-26-2009 at 11:58 AM.
huskerdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #233
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So, how did the zippy stack up the the SMC?????
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #234
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

curious as well. I would also like to know what you would consider them as if you were rating them. So basically, if they state 30C, but when you tested, you would be comfortable rating them as a 20C pack.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #235
Tech Regular

One quirk with the Chinese manufacturing world is on any given day a specific plant is making blenders and the next day automotive after market parts. Many of the plants are gov't owned and will switch production around as needed. There is a bit of capitalism with communism being the primary gov't. With this mentality the quality is erratic but as we all know improving daily.

The above is an exaggeration but does contain an element of truth. The polyquest cells seem to have more consistency then the Chinese cells. (Polyquest made in Korea). With that being said I have had very good results with the zippy packs and the Polyquest. I have no experience with Thunderpower or SMC packs. Until I have solid proof/reason that there is an advantage to by these packs I will stick with the zippy's etc.because of cost.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #236
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
The above is an exaggeration but does contain an element of truth. The polyquest cells seem to have more consistency then the Chinese cells. (Polyquest made in Korea). With that being said I have had very good results with the zippy packs and the Polyquest. I have no experience with Thunderpower or SMC packs. Until I have solid proof/reason that there is an advantage to by these packs I will stick with the zippy's etc.because of cost.
How do you get the polyquests?
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #237
Tech Regular

Hobby City in Hong Kong. I have made numerous transactions with them and so has many rc buds without a hitch. Just pick EMS shipping if you are in a hurry. Just google hobby City. I just purchased/delivered a 5s 6000mah pack (polyquest) that they had on sale for 166.00! Usually 206.00 The zippys are much cheaper but they do not(yet) have 6000mah pack made by zippy.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote