R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysScrews View Post
With 1/8th electric qualifiers being 5 or 7 minutes and mains at 10 minutes I don't understand the desire for larger capacities? It's just un-necessary weight that puts these cars out of balance. We have already seen enough data from folks running this class that with an efficient setup 200mah per minute or less is very achievable. Using a higher 250mah per minute, 12 minutes of run time and only a 80% discharge you would only need a 3,750mah pack to get the job done.

The Mfg that offers a 35C or higher pack in this range will get a LOT of business. They'll certainly get mine!
If 10 minutes becomes the standard main time, I will probably drop to a 5s 3000 pack which should be all I need. The class does need a standard main time as that will make it easier to determine what is a proper setup.

Right now, we have two camps of racers. Some run with electric only and others run (the majority, I suspect) run with nitros. Those that run with electric only seem to favor the higher kv setups which are much less efficient, but efficiency isn't needed because they aren't running as long. Those of us who run with nitros have to set our cars up for 15-20 minute run times, so we need to run much more efficient.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #182
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Lipo market is evolving rapidly and were very fortunate to have a partnership with a manufacturer that is at the cutting edge and is able to make Lipos with very good cycle life.

I'm confident that our 28C packs will have as high if not higher cycle life than the majority of the 30 and 35C packs. As I said before we use 90% capacity retention to come up with our C rate which is the highest standard used. I will have cycle life test results done on one of oue new 28C/Sport MAX cells shortly. I have already posted the cycle life results of our 40C cells.

I will have pricing later his week.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #183
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
If 10 minutes becomes the standard main time, I will probably drop to a 5s 3000 pack which should be all I need. The class does need a standard main time as that will make it easier to determine what is a proper setup.

Right now, we have two camps of racers. Some run with electric only and others run (the majority, I suspect) run with nitros. Those that run with electric only seem to favor the higher kv setups which are much less efficient, but efficiency isn't needed because they aren't running as long. Those of us who run with nitros have to set our cars up for 15-20 minute run times, so we need to run much more efficient.
For this class to grow there needs to be some kind of rules package that everyone wants to follow. It's need be easy for someone to want to convert to this type of racing and racers should know what packs and motors to buy. At the moment there is way to many different power options which makes it tough to figure out. As a manufacturer who believes this class has a huge potential we want to release products for this class but it's tough as there is no clear direction for this class.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
For this class to grow there needs to be some kind of rules package that everyone wants to follow. It's need be easy for someone to want to convert to this type of racing and racers should know what packs and motors to buy. At the moment there is way to many different power options which makes it tough to figure out. As a manufacturer who believes this class has a huge potential we want to release products for this class but it's tough as there is no clear direction for this class.
10 minutes seems to be what is being pushed. I agree we need standards, but the problem is that the class is still in its infancy and most of racers don't have the luxury of having their own class yet which means there are going to be varying setups until the class is big enough to be seperated. I have to race with nitros so my reality is I need 15 minute minimum run time at the club level which is what I race every weekend.

I guess it is chicken or the egg. Personally, I think we need to push for people to use more efficient setups for the reason above. It is very easy for me to get a smaller battery to run shorter mains when you are already efficient vs having to get an entirely new system or some huge 6000+mah brick of a battery to run longer.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #185
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
danny i agree that some rules need to be in place so companies have a starting point. but here is my problem with what roar has put out.
first they say that a 1/8 buggy cant weigh more than 8.0 lbs. i have weighed at least a dozen no frills race ready cars and only one of them was under 8.0 lbs. and that car had a regular mamaba max esc and a medusa 36 60 1800 motor. if that car ran the more common mamba monster and a nue based motor it also would have been over 8.0 lbs.
second the min weight is set at 7.09 lbs, this rule will push companies into making fragile and or expensive cars and also make guys feel they need to have lighter and more marginal batteries to get it close to min weight.
third they set a max of 4s lipo for power. i myself run 4s but i still believe that this rule should remain open so guys will pursue using 5 and even 6s packs with the proper kv motor. using more voltage with a low kv motor has so far proven to run cooler while delivering the same ammount of power. limiting it to 4s in an effort to keep them from being overpowered wont work since you can easilly overpower them already with the current motors avalable. i wont get into the softcase vs hardcase thing but i myself am against requiring hardcase in 1/8 and most offroad classes since the packs are well protected.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #186
Company Representative

It's very important to make rules that allows cars to make minimum weight easily as it's allot easier for a guy with a light car to add weight than it is for a guy with a heavy car to remove weight.

With the Internet being a great tool for communications some of you that race this class and want it to grow and be fair and easy for everyone to join this class should come up with a race rules/package.

This rules package could be sent to all tracks that race 1/8th scale and let the tracks decide if these rules will be the rules for there track. As far as ROAR goes if there rules package aren't what the racers want to race then ROAR events will have a low turnout and they will have to change there rules.

It's important to make the rules so it's fair and easy for everyone to get into this new class. I'm sure that the guys who have been racing these cars for awhile know what the rules need to be for this class to become popular and easy to get into.

I personally would like to race in this class but I don't want to buy a motor only to find out that the hot setup is something else. I also don't want to be buying Titanium screws and all kinds of crazy hop ups just to keep my car close to a low minimum weight.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #187
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

go ahead and setup your favorite car and use the motor and esc systems that are already out there. you can get a castle, losi or some of the other new esc and motor combos and i guarentee you that any of them will produce way more power that you can imagine. your car with a 4s 5000 pack will weigh a little over 8lbs but it will still handle great and out accellerate any nitro you have ever seen.
associated has put themselves in a box with their conversion using 2 small 1/10 scale type packs. they have the right to do so and if their sales suffer from it so be it. but just because a large company like them does this shouldnt mean that this is what everyone sould do.
the class is still too young and not seperated enough from the nitro 1/8 to have all the rules in place already. by this time next year going in to the summer of 2010 i think it will be ready for some firmer rules because by then many electric tracks that would allow them to run will most likely have enough for a class.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #188
Tech Addict

Quote:
Does RC Pro rules allow for softcase ?

The 9000 pack will be 29mm x 45mm x 159mm.
There is no hard case rule at this point, thanks for the measurements. Most of the rules were done with the advisement of the South Carolina racers (I think), Most of them do not run hardcases
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #189
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

I'm confident that our 28C packs will have as high if not higher cycle life than the majority of the 30 and 35C packs. As I said before we use 90% capacity retention to come up with our C rate which is the highest standard used.
I believe this. The capacity #'s i have been seeing led me to believe my smc lipo's are underrated compared to my orion packs.

Not to mention the $$$, awesome. I am running smc's c-max packs in my e-1/8th when i build one.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #190
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't even get me going on ROAR involvement!

They really need to stay out of the 1/8 electric arena until the MARKET decides what the standards are going to be. The 8 pound rule is an absolute joke and just shows how little they understand about the class.

550 Mafia.
Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #191
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
The 8 pound rule is an absolute joke and just shows how little they understand about the class.

+1
Old 02-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #192
Company Representative

Soemone should start a thread about the rules and with all the input a good rules package could be done.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #193
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Soemone should start a thread about the rules and with all the input a good rules package could be done.
Done!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...es-debate.html
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #194
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what about the the test you did with the Zippy lipo? How did that go Danny??

thanks,

Trout
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #195
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
what about the the test you did with the Zippy lipo? How did that go Danny??

thanks,

Trout
lLess talking more facts. I'm looking for real test data too . Preferably test done in USA not in china.
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote