Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Building a RC8E What should I use? >

Building a RC8E What should I use?

Building a RC8E What should I use?

Reply

Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
rc10t4orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Building a RC8E What should I use?

I'm Thinking real hard about converting a RTR RC8 roller I picked up to electric. I' thinking about using Novak HV 5.5. What do you guys think. Also which conversion kit is best? I'm would like to use 2 2s 5000mah bats so I can also use them in my 1:10th stuff. I would be open to any and all suggestions. Thanks to all.
rc10t4orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 AM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 926
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rc10t4orange View Post
I'm Thinking real hard about converting a RTR RC8 roller I picked up to electric. I' thinking about using Novak HV 5.5. What do you guys think. Also which conversion kit is best? I'm would like to use 2 2s 5000mah bats so I can also use them in my 1:10th stuff. I would be open to any and all suggestions. Thanks to all.

Well I just did the same thing as you. and im really happy with how it turned out. I used the AE conversion kit, 83$. The Castle MMM ESC with 2650 motor, $199. You can use 2X2s lipo with that conversion. Also you could get a Zippy Flightmax 5000 4s lipo and it cost $68 bucks! I got one and love it so far.

do it, you will NOT be disappointed!

Trout
trout74 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:37 PM
  #3  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
rc10t4orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
Well I just did the same thing as you. and im really happy with how it turned out. I used the AE conversion kit, 83$. The Castle MMM ESC with 2650 motor, $199. You can use 2X2s lipo with that conversion. Also you could get a Zippy Flightmax 5000 4s lipo and it cost $68 bucks! I got one and love it so far.

do it, you will NOT be disappointed!

Trout
Where did you get the zippy batt? What do you use for a charger and balancer? Does the MMM have cogging issues since it is sensorless? Finally ahve you raced this setup? Thanks for your help. The parts that you got sound like a great deal considering I'm on a budget too. AWESOME.
rc10t4orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:38 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
rc10t4orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Also what is your run-time? Thanks again.
rc10t4orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:12 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
Jube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,397
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
The Castle MMM ESC with 2650 motor, $199.

Trout
Where did you get the combo for $200? Everywhere Ive seen is $300.
Jube is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM
  #6  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
rc10t4orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jube View Post
Where did you get the combo for $200? Everywhere Ive seen is $300.
Yep I been looking too... can't find it anywhere for that.
rc10t4orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
  #7  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
rc10t4orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Jube you run at albion right? Are you running 1/8 buggy at rectors?
rc10t4orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:32 PM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
Jube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,397
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

I ran at the state race this year but thats the only time Ive been there. Nice place though.
Myself and a couple other local guys are makin the switch to 1/8 scale electric so we are in new territory!
Jube is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 PM
  #9  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
rc10t4orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jube View Post
I ran at the state race this year but thats the only time Ive been there. Nice place though.
Myself and a couple other local guys are makin the switch to 1/8 scale electric so we are in new territory!
Figured out what setup you are goin to run? Done any testing? Thanks.
rc10t4orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:38 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
Jube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,397
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Lol no testing yet. Dont have anything to test! I do have a RC8 with Teckno conversion on the way tho if that helps. As of now Im leaning towards MMM w/ 2200kv motor.
Jube is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
  #11  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (27)
 
pull-start's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dirty Jerzee
Posts: 712
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I have a nice Medusa Afterburner for sale if you are interested

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ess-motor.html
pull-start is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (50)
 
CRCDUDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,092
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
. You can use 2X2s lipo with that conversion. Also you could get a Zippy Flightmax 5000 4s lipo and it cost $68 bucks!

do it, you will NOT be disappointed!

Trout
Where you find that at ??
CRCDUDE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
Jube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,397
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CRCDUDE View Post
Where you find that at ??
I gotcha Randy
Jube is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service