R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tekin RS 13.5 vs. Novak Havoc 13.5

I'm getting into SS/spec 13.5 racing with a RC10B4, and I'm stumped on this question. I've researched as much as my brain will take, but there really isn't alot on the Novak Havoc stuff.
Is it worth the $80-$100 to go up to the Tekin over the Havoc setup?
Is either going to be a mistake?
dickeypjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am running the Havoc 13.5 Spec System and love it. I am just as fast as anything else on the track with my B4, plus I saved about 150.00.

In my T4 I run a XBR and Novak SS 13.5 and it keeps up no problem with the GTB's and RS Pro's. The XBR is nearly if not identical to the Havoc Spec.

Racing is mostly skill to a certain extent, all of the top manufacturers have quality equipment and even some of the not so mainstream equipment is pretty good.
demon510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've owned Novak systems for over four years, (GTbs and SS escs) and a variety of other brushless systems as well, and IMO the Havoc isn't in the same league with the RS. With the new 189 software upgrade the Tekin will take any 13.5 and make it run faster than a GTB can, much less a havoc. The Question you need to answer for your self is do you need the extra speed provided or not. If your a novice level driver then the havoc should do fine for the time being. But if your a more advanced driver looking for an edge then there's no question the rs-13.5 will give you all of that.
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Kid View Post
I've owned Novak systems for over four years, (GTbs and SS escs) and a variety of other brushless systems as well, and IMO the Havoc isn't in the same league with the RS. With the new 189 software upgrade the Tekin will take any 13.5 and make it run faster than a GTB can, much less a havoc. The Question you need to answer for your self is do you need the extra speed provided or not. If your a novice level driver then the havoc should do fine for the time being. But if your a more advanced driver looking for an edge then there's no question the rs-13.5 will give you all of that.
Very well said...I have been running the 189 software about three weeks now with both of my Tekin RS's and the Redline series of motors. With either the 13.5 or the 17.5, these speed controls are faster, easier to set-up, and just fast. In my Sprint car when I did the switch back to back with the same gearing and motor it was absolutley night and day. You can gear down, and still go faster. It just depends if the speed is worth the money to you. I like the upgradability myself. If you buy one of these, you won't go back.
Dragula426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies!

It sounds like both are solid ESCs, but the RS really does have the edge.

I'm going the RS/13.5 route even though the havoc would probably be fine- any edge I can get
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Suspended

Talking AE.......................IS THE KILLER OF ALL!

Do you have to use the little capacitor on the Tekin ESC?? will the Rs run the 5.5 redline.....
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
Do you have to use the little capacitor on the Tekin ESC?? will the Rs run the 5.5 redline.....
The RS does use the cap, and yes, the RS will run the 5.5 Redline. I think that's the limit though.

see http://www.teamtekin.com/rs.html

Last edited by dickeypjeep; 02-05-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: copy-paste error heh.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I also run a GTB in touring, XBR in offroad, and RS in my slash....to be honest the only thing the Novak lacks is the ability to adjust the motor timing. Most who use the RS will tell you on 13.5's and 10.5's is to turn the timing all the way up. This makes it faster, and I think the latest craze is to run it in sensored only mode. I really enjoy all my systems though, and if your like me traffic, and those darn pipes even out the field speed wise.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickeypjeep View Post
Thanks for the replies!

It sounds like both are solid ESCs, but the RS really does have the edge.

I'm going the RS/13.5 route even though the havoc would probably be fine- any edge I can get
If you get the Tekin, I would also pop for the Hotwire $35.00. It is Tekin's pc interface and its pretty cool. You can do a bunch of fine tuning and updatin on ur pc or laptop. Just my 2 cents--
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
If you get the Tekin, I would also pop for the Hotwire $35.00. It is Tekin's pc interface and its pretty cool. You can do a bunch of fine tuning and updatin on ur pc or laptop. Just my 2 cents--
If you know of a Team driver in your area that could help you out too.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Yes you must run the cap on the RS. This little cap keeps the esc running at it's best.

Yes the RS can run the 5.5. Make sure you're geared properly,etc.

I personally recomend the Rs Pro if you're going to run the 5.5 in a 4wd car. Most wheelers have little to no air flow and this can cause a lot of heat.

Team drivers are ALWAYS more than happy to help you with your setup.

And if you have any other quesitons you can check out our forum :

http://forum.teamtekin.com/phpbb3/

or email me here:

[email protected]

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Team drivers are ALWAYS more than happy to help you with your setup.

And if you have any other quesitons you can check out our forum :

http://forum.teamtekin.com/phpbb3/

or email me here:

[email protected]

Wow, thanks! That's great.