Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 1/8 setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Electric 1/8 setup?

I have a Losi 8ight that I am converting to electric and was wondering how different, if at all, a setup would be compared to nitro. Any ideas on a good starting point with my setup? Anything else you might think would be helpful is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

This thread has all the info you need. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sion-kits.html
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I ran the same setup on my nitro and electric 8ights.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I asked Todd Hodge what he changed from his nitro to electric 1/8 setups and he said nothing. I ran my 8ight-E for the first time last weekend with my nitro setup on it and it was fine.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Tech Adept

That's what I was looking for , Thanks. First time running the 8ight could you offer help with a good starting point or is the factory recommended one good enough?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Addict

I think the biggest thing that you'll have to change is your throttle finger.

You need to forget about pumping the throttle and depending on what motor/esc combo you use you won't be pulling full throttle much at all.

Loose the nitro finger and you'll be fine.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macr0w
I think the biggest thing that you'll have to change is your throttle finger.

You need to forget about pumping the throttle and depending on what motor/esc combo you use you won't be pulling full throttle much at all.

Loose the nitro finger and you'll be fine.
DITTO! The first thing most nitro guys do when they drive my two brushless beasts for the first time is, they squeeze the trigger all the way on the first jump they hit... which typically leads to the car LEAVING THE TRACK! Just go easy on it at first, get used to the extra power, and adjust the car to suit your needs.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks, but what about a good setup for this buggy in general? This is my first time running the 8ight.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like Adam Drake's 08 Neobuggy set up on the Losi site. It has more on power steering than the stock race roller set up.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

I use thicker shock oil and a little thicker center diff fluid..thats it. The mugen mbx6 original kit came with med. springs. the nitro guys have gone to soft but the med work well with the heavier e version.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

With the added weight of a Mamba Monster and 2200, I just had to add preload to the shocks to get the ride height back to the stock Race Roller setup. It seems to handle just as well as the nitro with just a little more traction in most situations. Now the power is another story. I still can't get the smile off my face.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You let people drive them?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

I bought the buggy used and have taken it all apart. Now I am ready to rebuild it and put in the Losi brushless conversion kit. Not sure what motor/speedo combo I am going to use yet. I have ran nitro 1/8 a couple of years and just want to get back into the hobby running electric. I have not heard one negative comment about the 1/8 electrics at all, unless you consider too much power a negative. Can't wait until it is ready to race.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
You let people drive them?
Well, I'm trying to promote the hobby. We have several friends that have been in and out of racing. I was trying to get him back into it, and he actually broke my Jammin! I drive the dang WHEELS off it, make boo boos and such, but I've never actually BROKEN anything before. He broke two zip ties holding my ESC in place, the four zip ties I had on the battery, broke the upper front bulkhead carbon fiber piece and ripped the body off the rear mount. All because he "Missed" the catch ramp, and used about "50%" of the throttle to get it there. It slammed top/body first into a board that was set up as a "Shield" to protect the spotters in that back corner.

So from now on, if anyone asks to drive it, I'll ask for a $100 deposit, a credit card number, and I'm limiting the throttle to 10% so a nitro guy can have a few laps to "adapt"
Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by R40Victim
limiting the throttle to 10%
Haha. Thats what I do when my wife drives mine.

richclo, I've got the MMM/2200kV combo in my 8ight and it's absolutely awesome. I can't speak for it's longevity since I've only had it for a few weeks and have only done about 12 runs on it. But the performance is mindboggling. Very high quality and very powerful. The price is competitive but still, you'll fork out >$250 for any good ESC/motor setup.