R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default benefits of front one way vs diff

In layman's terms, what is the advantage of a oneway vs a front diff? When would you choose to run one or the other?

Thx
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Tech Adept

In a nut shell it makes the car handel like a 2wd on the breaks and works as a spool under power.
RC nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Why would you want this? Why not 4wd all the time?
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Why would you want this? Why not 4wd all the time?
On a 4wd when you apply the brakes to hard the front wheels will lock up. This will cause the car to push if you are trying to go into a corner. With the one-way the front wheels will free wheel so that only the rear wheels are doing the braking when you apply the brakes. So you still have to be carefull with the brakes because with a one-way installed the rear end can come around on you if you are not careful and smooth on the brakes.

Under acceleration both front wheels pull equally because there is no differential. This can cause the car to push out when coming out of very tight corners and acccelerating really hard.

Most people I have seen use one-ways are using them on fast flowing tracks where there aren't any tight corners so they don't have to be hard on the brakes. They definitely produce less drag on the car and come through sweeper corners like banshees.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thanks...Asked and answered....
augustusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieS View Post
On a 4wd when you apply the brakes to hard the front wheels will lock up. This will cause the car to push if you are trying to go into a corner. With the one-way the front wheels will free wheel so that only the rear wheels are doing the braking when you apply the brakes. So you still have to be carefull with the brakes because with a one-way installed the rear end can come around on you if you are not careful and smooth on the brakes.

Under acceleration both front wheels pull equally because there is no differential. This can cause the car to push out when coming out of very tight corners and acccelerating really hard.

Most people I have seen use one-ways are using them on fast flowing tracks where there aren't any tight corners so they don't have to be hard on the brakes. They definitely produce less drag on the car and come through sweeper corners like banshees.
...agreed!

To add: a one-way is also great on tight tracks in slower classes (again, less braking). My friend and I both started in "silver can" sedan class with the same chassis. After a few races he installed a one-way and I kept the diff. His car smoked me in the corners! The benefit of a diff off throttle thru the corner with the snap of a spool out of it. Really frustrated me!
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote