R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default First 1/10 buggy - AE B4 vs. AE B44

So while not entirely new to RC (been in it for 2 years), I am new to racing. I have mostly done bashing, crawling, and other activities not requiring a track. My Vendetta TC got me out to a hobby shop with a track (R/C Excitement in Fitchburg, MA), and now I'm interested in driving offroad as well as on their carpet track. They have an indoor dirt track suitable for 1/10 scale buggies and trucks. I have run my Rustler (MM/Medusa) on the track, but it understeers like a '78 Buick, and I'm looking for something that will handle a little better. I was thinking of getting a buggy - a B4 FT or a B44 FT - but can't decide which. Whichever I get will get a MM ESC w/ either a Castle or Medusa motor.

Advantages of the B4
- cheaper
- uses my existing lipo packs
- 2WD is harder to drive than 4WD, so it might be a better vehicle on which to learn

Advantages of the B44
- Newer technology - the B4 has been around forever
- No need to upgrade when/if I want a more competent vehicle

I guess what I'm looking for is the following:

1. I assume the B4 is tougher than the B44, simply because there are fewer parts to break, but then maybe the B44's parts are tougher. Any feedback here? I don't mind wrenching, but all else equal, I'd prefer a vehicle that breaks less to a vehicle that breaks more.
2. My plan is to eventually go to an 8th scale electric buggy - been following the 8th scale electric conversion thread for a while now, and have read all 14,000+/- posts - but I wanted something that would work on the smaller track for now while I learn. The 8th scale would be 4WD, so maybe that argues for getting the 2WD buggy now, to give me experience with both. Thoughts?
3. Any other thoughts? I've pretty much ruled out Losi. I like the parts availability of the AE vehicles, but I guess I would consider another 1/10 buggy (i.e., non-AE) if one were compelling enough.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
John
JohnPrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Well john, I would suggest the B4. And no, you will not need to upgrade anything! It is ready to race! It's much strudier than a 4wd vehicle. 4wd is more maintenance and breaks more often (because they are much faster!). For beginning racing, the 2wd is definetly the cheaper sturdier choice...

But obviously, 4wd has it's advantages... The B44 is sweet with a MM and 6900kv motor in it!!! But get ready to wrench on it! I prefer 4wd, but I've been racing a while and can handle it.

Other than that, if you think you'll have more fun with one over the other, go for that one!

Just my 0.02$!

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Smile

Thanks Codman.

I think I have my answer then ...

A B44 will go significantly faster than a B4, so probably a little harder to learn on from that perspective. In addition, the B4 is inherently more stout, so it seems the B4 will be perfect for me.

Thanks for helping me think through this.

I also like that I will not have to buy new lipos!

John
Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPrz View Post
Thanks Codman.

I think I have my answer then ...

A B44 will go significantly faster than a B4, so probably a little harder to learn on from that perspective. In addition, the B4 is inherently more stout, so it seems the B4 will be perfect for me.

Thanks for helping me think through this.

I also like that I will not have to buy new lipos!

John
The B4 is a great buggy. You should enjoy it greatly. Good luck with the new car.
LIVipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Ive seen a b44 take punishment that would break a b4 in half. If a b4 would go as fast as a b44 you would never keep it together. The b44 is tougher than you would think.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Go with the B4. Nothing will teach you throttle control like a 2wd mod buggy, so your driving skills will be better for it in the long run.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
Go with the B4. Nothing will teach you throttle control like a 2wd mod buggy, so your driving skills will be better for it in the long run.
Agreed, once you learn to wheel a 2wd buggy, you will be able to wheel anything imho.
azgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Jube - good to know; thanks. To 2wdMod and azgreg's points, and as I think this through, I should probably focus on honing my driving skills now and it seems all are in agreement that the way to do that is with 2wd.

I also haven't heard anyone here say that the B4 is fragile ... if that were the consensus, then I probably wouldn't deal with it and would just go with the B44. But it seems it is tough enough given its (lower) limits of adhesion.

I have a plan!

John
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

I say stick with what is/will be raced in your area...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Good point! I wouldn't race until getting a good amount of practice in, but ultimately that would be the goal.

They have one class called limited 2wd buggy and another class called mod 4wd buggy. Now I just have to figure out what limited 2wd buggy means ... brushless or no? if I want to run brushless, does that push me to 4wd mod? Then again, I guess running a brushed (gasp!) motor could be possible...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Tech Adept

OK, limited 2wd buggy at RC Excitement allows a 19 turn brushed motor or 10.5 brushless. So if I wanted to stick with Castle, I think I could run a 4600, but not a 5700 or higher, right? Is there a formula is to convert a KV rating to turns?

Or - am I limited to getting a motor that has a turn rating?

Last edited by JohnPrz; 02-05-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just get them BOTH!

You won't regret it!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #13
Tech Adept

My wife would kill me, and she's been pretty understanding...

Besides, I've got to save room in the budget for the 8th scale electric conversion buggy, which is next.

Last edited by JohnPrz; 02-05-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jube View Post
Ive seen a b44 take punishment that would break a b4 in half. If a b4 would go as fast as a b44 you would never keep it together. The b44 is tougher than you would think.
You're right, it is a very tough 4wd! But it has it's weak spots. I've broken shock shafts and arms with barely a Tap. Not a problem and cheap to fix... But the 2wd will not break as easily...

Just my 0.02$

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPrz View Post
OK, limited 2wd buggy at RC Excitement allows a 19 turn brushed motor or 10.5 brushless. So if I wanted to stick with Castle, I think I could run a 4600, but not a 5700 or higher, right? Is there a formula is to convert a KV rating to turns?

Or - am I limited to getting a motor that has a turn rating?
I think you may be stuck here, you may want to check with your race director, but I bet it has to be either a 10.5 or 19t.