R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The B4 is not stronger than a B44, it is just slower since the B44 would be running Mod. Of course the B4's parts will last longer since the stress isnt as great.

4WD is fast, I wouldnt recommend it for rookies untill you can be competitive in Stock Buggy.
demon510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
I think you may be stuck here, you may want to check with your race director, but I bet it has to be either a 10.5 or 19t.

Novak's new Havoc system is $149 with your choice of anything from an 8.5 to a 21.5. It's a better racing choice than the Castle stuff. Also check with the race director about the future plans for their classes. 10.5 was the 19t equivalent to 19t brushed but from now on ROAR rules is calling the 13.5 the 19t equivalent. Check with your track to see if they intend to follow suit.

FWIW, I run mod 2wd and only use a 10.5. Between the lipo power and the light weight, it's all the power I need and I use it on a very high traction surface.

Stay clear of 4wd for now. #1, a B44 is tough but expect that you will crash it alot and hard. There's more to break on a 4wd. #2 4wd may or may not be very popular in your area but ou can always bet on a 2wd class.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Davidka;5391035]Novak's new Havoc system is $149 with your choice of anything from an 8.5 to a 21.5. It's a better racing choice than the Castle stuff. Also check with the race director about the future plans for their classes. 10.5 was the 19t equivalent to 19t brushed but from now on ROAR rules is calling the 13.5 the 19t equivalent. Check with your track to see if they intend to follow suit.

I've had mixed experiences with Novak - no problems with their crawling systems which I like, but I had major overheating issues with their HV motors, as many others seem to have had. What's the initial feedback on the new Havoc system? Is it reliable, or does it also have overheating or other problems? I know it's a little pricier, but does LRP make a better motor / controller?

This has all been excellent feedback, by the way. You all have convinced me that 2WD is the way to go and helped me think about issues I would have never thought of on my own ... at least without making a few unnecessary purchases first! (can't even count how many times I've done that...)
JohnPrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Tech Addict

The 2wd is a great platform to learn, I wish many others had learned on them instead of 1/8 buggies. The 4600 mamba max will be better, you can gear it conservative to learn and gear up as you get better and faster. If you plan to race, check with your track and see what classes they have. If they follow Roar rules, you might be stuck with legal systems, such as a 13.5/17.5 or even 21.5's
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
I think you may be stuck here, you may want to check with your race director, but I bet it has to be either a 10.5 or 19t.
I have raced this class there it's 10.5 or 19t brushed.

anyways don't start with a B44 start out with a 2wd buggy and a 10.5 motor. There is the most competition for the beginner. It will also teach you to drive.

4wd is cool but it would be ridiculous to try and run that as a primary car. The maintenance alone would be overwhelming. I would prolly buy a new car every 6 months
Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
Tech Adept

B4 ordered w/ Tekin RSPro 10.5 brushless system.

Thanks for all of the help!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The Novak Havoc system is a newer version of the XBR. It is much lower cost than the GTB but has an 8.5 turn motor limit. I've raced with a couple of guys that had the XBR and none of them reported problems. I have only run the GTB, I've had mine since they first came out and other than the huge power capacitor I have no complaints about them. I just got a Havoc/13.5 setup for my tc, haven't gotten to run it yet.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What class will you be racing in? Because if it is like my track with the brushless system you plan on running you would need to be in the any mod class which here is full of 4WD buggies. I was the only one running a 2WD (rustler XL-5 w/ MambaMax 7700 system in it) and it showed. 4WD can hold a turn better and has more control in the air. I have a faster system than my buddy who drives a B44 but speed is the enemy of traction for a 2WD so I had to slow way down to turn.

I just bought a 4WD XXX-4G+ just because i need 4WD to compete at my track.

(this can be completely irrelivent to you if your track has a separate 2WD mod offroad class
Chevrolet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #24

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

kinda of tossup. unless 4wd is real strong in ur area (2heats a nite minimum). go the 2wd route with the b4 (this comin from some1 who started on a CR, went to a b4, and now back on a CR). great bug, u WILL learn and u'll be glad u did. have fun

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #25
Tech Adept

In the beginning, I'll probably be running in the novice class, which is "run what you brung." After that, I should be able to race in the Limited 2WD class:

Limited 2wd Buggy (19turn brushed motor or 10.5 brushless)

In any case, racing is secondary to me, and I'm not in any rush to do it ... I need practice time on the track more than anything else. If it later turns out I have to get a 13.5 motor instead of the 10.5 because they change specs, well that's fine too and I can do that at the time.

Meanwhile, I'm getting a brushless system that I've only heard good things about ... I've also had nothing but good experiences with Tekin (I have a Rebel II and a B1R) vs. my mixed experiences with Novak (positive with their Goat Crawler systems but less so with their HV system).
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess that it just my area then that doesn't have a separate 2WD class.
Chevrolet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote