Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Dirt Hardening Additives >

Dirt Hardening Additives

Dirt Hardening Additives

Old 01-29-2002, 06:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Dirt Hardening Additives

I was wondering what all the big tracks in the down there in the states use to harden the dirt so the track will last longer and not crumble. Currently I am thinking calcium chloride, but what do you guys use?
Old 01-29-2002, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

well the track i go to isnt one of the big tracks around but i know they do use calcium chloride to keep it fresh. i am in NW indiana
Old 01-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Tech Rookie

does it last good? Like do the jumps last a far bit, right now we are stuck with the track rutting up and the jumps getting torn down to the point where the quad is now a single section instead of a double double. How is traction?
Old 01-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

from week to week it dosent really change. they re do the track every 4 to 6 weeks, but the jumps dont really change between that time at all. the tabletop jump has been there for at least 3 months and looks the same as it did then. traction is good i think. gets kinda dusty by the 3rd qualifier but still has good traction.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Tech Rookie

cool man...thanks for da info
Old 01-31-2002, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

bmxxxry - Try the calcium chloride and saw dust. We had an outdoor track that we added that too and it seemed to help. I can't really say how much we added but it did hold water better and stayed together better. Just play around with a section of the track until you feel like you've found a good formula.

I do know they added to much saw dust to one section that part would flake up. So don't add to much. I think the saw dust was to help hold the water and the calcium chloride helped hold the dirt together. But the part that was right stayed really spongy.

They used calcium cloride at the '97 worlds in cal to help that track hold up best I can remember.

Good Luck.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default tracks

the track should be constructed from a mixture of 70% clay 30% sand. smoothed and rolled it should last a long time. the top inch can be loosened up and watered for the ultimate in traction.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Tech Rookie

cool...thanks guys. I think I will go with the Calcium Chloride and try some saw dust to hold the water.
When we do get a load of dirt for this year, i will order that mix of 70% clay 30% sand. Thanks again for the tips guys.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Our track uses 70% topsoil and 30% clay and our track stays really hard packed, only a little dirt stays looseon top. Holds water really well. BUT this is an indoor track.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

How would a mixture of black dirt and sand hold up outside? It's hard to find clay is some parts of the US.

Team Green
Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

soiltac will hold the track together better than calcium chloride, and it won't corrode your cars either. There's a whole slew of soil additives along the same lines as soiltac. Use google

Calcium does best at just bringing and holding moisture in the surface of the track, it's not really a soil binder.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My local track uses lime. Water, roll, drench with water, roll once, add lime with a spreader, and roll until its dry. Makes the track super super hard packed.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How's this for traction?

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...7.flv&newest=1

We use soil stabilizer diluted with water and it looks just like elmers glue. On a fresh track there is more traction than concrete.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

We have a local "home grown" track down the street on a vacant lot. It doesn't have access to water (though it's in Seattle so it gets plenty of rain). The locals have put a lot of time into carving out a pretty decent track, considering. However, without water we end up with a LOT of dust and big traction problems.

Any tips on things we can do to get more traction, other then sweeping the heck out of it every time we use it? I think plenty of us would throw in some money for chemicals or whatever...
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My friends and I have a local track that we made, where's a good place to get clay for the track?