R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #31
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKarnage View Post

As for your seperation of pits into "?" cubby's? I am not keen on that, if im reading it correctly.. a small 12''+/- riser/shelf is cool, but a full wall cuts out the interaction of others and to me, would make me feel isolated.
This idea, in terms of "lockers" is great though.. I tried to get that at the last indoor track I was attending.. never happened though

And the other thing I would really like to see.. is the availability to practice throughout the week.. my work schedule gives me multiple days off during the week.. but limited on the weekends.. going in on a monday, tuesday or wednesday is nice (much nicer for an indoor track too since weather is the biggest issue for outside tracks)
there will be room for people to walk between 2 people seated in the pits. accounted for.

let me detail my pit idea. the "walls" will be from the front edge of the desk to the front edge of the upper shelf, and slightly above the shelf. So the wall will be angled back instead of straight up from the front of the desk. the "wall" in front of you (back edge of desk) will not be all the way up to the shelf, but about a foot from the desk. enough to keep your stuff from straying, but not enclosing. (I'm a little clastrophobic (SP) too. I like open spaces)

I like this idea as it saves me cost in wood! Any savings helps!

Our schedule will be pretty much open 7 days. Hours appx. 10am to 10pm. race on wed evening @ 6pm and Sat @ 2pm. (Not in stone here).

Thanks for the post.
chameleon1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimaleide View Post
Clay/dirt mix is nice to have...and yellow pipe is great to have to...I know alot of tracks that use the yellow piping instead of black.....And i would not make the each pit a little cubby...thats just annoying...I havent really know anyone who likes that....its nice to be able to look across at the guy in front of you and talk to him because most people pit with their buddies anyways.....I think you have a great idea with letting the people who work on the track practice for free, prob get you a lot more help on track rebuilds to.
As far as the color of the pipes, we'll have to see what's available, and what contrasts best against the dirt. Do you like corrigated or solid pipe?

Our thought is leaning towards solid pipe. There is less to catch your car or wheels on, it's easier to place on the track (with elbows and "t"s and an added 1' pointing down and driven into the dirt so it doesn't move or lift easily), and it should be easier to come by.

Free workers practice: we agree with and like help! It's easier to draw flies with honey than vinegar! LOL The nice thing about this is that those who help will be able to do free practice until the track changes... at least 2 weeks, at most, a month.

Above for pits:

Thanks for the post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #33
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to DannyS

chameleon,

It seem like you guys have things down pretty well, I am trying to open a track in So. Cal as well. If I were you I wouldn't be too conserned with what people want yet. Find your building and get you C.U.P. (conditional use permitt) If you need any help please let me know via p.m. I've been working with my lawyers and the local goverment for a few months now and know the just about everything you will need. Just a little advice, DO EVERYTHING LEGAL the first time and you wont need to worry later. That is what is the hardest thing to do. I hope everything works out and please feel free to contact me whenever you have a question.
DannyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #34
Tech Initiate

If I had the means for such a venture, my first action would be to visit as many top tracks across the US as possible! Take pictures..ask questions!
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
chameleon,

It seem like you guys have things down pretty well, I am trying to open a track in So. Cal as well. If I were you I wouldn't be too conserned with what people want yet. Find your building and get you C.U.P. (conditional use permitt) If you need any help please let me know via p.m. I've been working with my lawyers and the local goverment for a few months now and know the just about everything you will need. Just a little advice, DO EVERYTHING LEGAL the first time and you wont need to worry later. That is what is the hardest thing to do. I hope everything works out and please feel free to contact me whenever you have a question.
Thank you very much Danny. i may take you up on that if the need arises!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #36
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_w View Post
If I had the means for such a venture, my first action would be to visit as many top tracks across the US as possible! Take pictures..ask questions!
And this is EXACTLY what I'm doing. I drive a truck (semi) OTR and have visited many of the most popular and a few of the "not so popular" tracks. I drive them to see what the dirt "feels" like, check the hobby shops (with and without tracks) to see inventory (Buy a few items as well), see what's popular in different areas, and see pricing.

I have visited MANY tracks including but not limited to:
Need 4 speed, Garden City, KS
Revelation, Ontario, CA
Pegasus, Ontario, CA
Trains and Lanes, Easton, PA
High Performance RC, Hutchinson, KS
MOHR, Aurora, CO
Intermountain RC Raceway, Magna, UT
A-Main Hobbies & Raceway, Portland, OR
Performance RC Raceway, OKC, OK
Blue Springs Raceway, Blue Springs, MO
Bumps and Jumps, York, PA
Mike's RC, Carrollton, TX
and a few I can't remember! (Sorry!!!!!) not that they weren't nice, just an example: Pasco, WA there's a 1/8th scale track beside a 1/4th scale "nascar" oval. Nice place! Just can't remember the name as I haven't been there for about 18 mos.

Just to name a few. I (unfortunately) have NOT visited a few I'd like to due to lack of parking... Hard to find parking for 73' with truck and trailer, Let alone 28' for just the truck if I get the chance to drop my trailer!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 AM   #37
Tech Initiate

ok all, it looks like the general area will be Phoenix, AZ. If you are still interested.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon1204 View Post
As far as the color of the pipes, we'll have to see what's available, and what contrasts best against the dirt. Do you like corrigated or solid pipe?

Our thought is leaning towards solid pipe. There is less to catch your car or wheels on, it's easier to place on the track (with elbows and "t"s and an added 1' pointing down and driven into the dirt so it doesn't move or lift easily), and it should be easier to come by.

Free workers practice: we agree with and like help! It's easier to draw flies with honey than vinegar! LOL The nice thing about this is that those who help will be able to do free practice until the track changes... at least 2 weeks, at most, a month.

Above for pits:

Thanks for the post

I believe what we use and a few other tracks around us is just like garden drain pipe...not a solid pipe....its much easier to make corners out of it...other wise with a solid pipe your corners are going to be a lot more abrupt instead of flowing and you can get solid elbows to bury into the ground for hairpins and such.....and with yellow pipe it stands out well.

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #39
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I believe what we use and a few other tracks around us is just like garden drain pipe...not a solid pipe....its much easier to make corners out of it...other wise with a solid pipe your corners are going to be a lot more abrupt instead of flowing and you can get solid elbows to bury into the ground for hairpins and such.....and with yellow pipe it stands out well.
is it a yellow corrugated or black corrugated? Is your track indoor or outdoor?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon1204 View Post
is it a yellow corrugated or black corrugated? Is your track indoor or outdoor?

well the track i race at most of the time is indoor...and the pipe is yellow....several tracks i race at actually indoor and outdoor ones use yellow drain pipe...

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #41
Tech Initiate

Quote:
well the track i race at most of the time is indoor...and the pipe is yellow....several tracks i race at actually indoor and outdoor ones use yellow drain pipe...
And you don't have problems with catching axle stubs on corrugations??
Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

What do you guys think of a "shortcut" for e- racing? 225' is a long way for an e-vehicle, and if you only have to run 150' of it, saving battery, easier gear ratio...? What do you all think?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadyoda View Post
where will this be located at lol....
I found people asking this question over and over. I fail to find an answer or a reply to this. Am I missing something here?

Chameleon, is there a reason why you're not revealing the location? Is it because this topic is just a "feeler" for building a track like a few that I've seen here?

A while ago, there was some guy on here claiming to want to start a track here and was never to be seen again, probably after he found out how much capital you need to put up front to start an operation like this. This was in southern california.

There's also another guy out there trying to start a track here in southern california, hot box rc, but this guy is dragging his feet it seems since the phone number seems like it's someone's personal cell phone, and they only have rock crawling (or so they claim) since they're waiting for a city permit?

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you're gonna go do it, go do it. You either know how to do it or not. Talking about it all day really gets old...

There's only one guy that came in and announced that he will be building a new track (after SoCal closed down) and actually DID build a track and run it successfully now. For you all you in the Orange/Los Angeles/Riverside county, you know who I'm talking about.

So to go back to the subject on the top:

WHERE IS THIS SUPPOSED TRACK GOING TO BE LOCATED? A GENERAL LOCATION SUCH AS COUNTY NAME, STATE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Sorry for yelling
Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #44
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
I found people asking this question over and over. I fail to find an answer or a reply to this. Am I missing something here?

WHERE IS THIS SUPPOSED TRACK GOING TO BE LOCATED? A GENERAL LOCATION SUCH AS COUNTY NAME, STATE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Sorry for yelling
Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting. No, This is not a feeder; I really do intend to build a track. I am looking into most of the variables in order to try and achieve success as (I'm sure you are aware) this is not a CHEAP endevour.

I am actually waiting for the lawyers to settle an inheritance of appx $600k. Of this, appx 240k will be spent on a premier facility. This is no small amount, and I am not (as of yet) found anyone willing to join me in this venture.

I have found an area with a higher need than most. the area I speak of has troubles with heat in summer, and cold in winter, not to mension a few cloud bursts which usually give no warning. I am speaking of north east Phoenix, AZ. These nitro guys race in 110 degree heat and have absolutely no indoor facilities anywhere in the area. (that's for electric or nitro)

What I am trying to do with all these questions is look for pitfalls to avoid. those things that nobody likes, and seem "necessary at the time", than become an oversight that ultimately destroys the enjoyment of the clientel. And afterall, if you're not having fun; you won't be back.

I don't know if you've read above, but I presently drive a semi for a living. I also visit any and all tracks that I can. I ask questions, drive the tracks, talk with the owners, etc.. in order to do the best possible job i can on my track.

IE: the ventalation exchange rate will be no less than 4000 cubic yards per hour. Any idea how many Kilowatts it takes to make that possible? I'll tell you... that's 575 Kwh. and my electric bill goes up $75.00 per week just for that.

See how much "homework" I'm having to deal with? It's not just throwing up a building and sign and saying, "come on out!", I have to weigh everything I can provide and prioritize what people want versus what I can afford vs how much income i can expect in order to keep things going.

I enjoy this hobby, and have for over 15 years. My first car was a taimya hornet! my second was a taimya frog (better suspension). than i got the rc10 gold pan (split white tranny). Remember those? I do; and the nightmare they were to tune! LOL

Anyways, I'm off topic. I think I stated at the begining of the thread that I'd be starting the track between 12 - 18 mos. (litigation stinks!!!!) I hope this eases your mind, and lets you know I'm not just blowing smoke... This has been a dream of mine for many years. Now, i finally have the chance to fufill it.

chameleon
JR RC Racing technologies
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #45
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post

Sorry for yelling
BTW.. I understand your yelling. Back at ya...
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF A SHORTCUT FOR E-RACING????

Tag, You're it. LOL