where is this track I wanna come race!

Team Associated/ Seidel Racing/ Team Scream Racing/ Nike 6.0/ RC Madness
b4.1 novak gtb/ velociti 6.5r
b44.1 lrp sxx tc spec v2/ velociti 5.5r
TNS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Make it Slash friendly. As much a some like /dislike the class its usally the largest....= more $ for you!

Also a bar that serves alcoholic beverages would be awesome!
Cru_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

My .02$

Gettin older, I find it a challange to have to climb 12+ steps to get to the top of a drivers stand. I dont mind the excercise, but once Im up there its actually harder to see my vehicle from the far corners of the track. i would think 12-16" up should be plenty. Plus bein up so high would make it harder to see threw the Nitro fumes. Plus it takes forever to get back up/ down to make adjustments.

OF course pit space should be well lit, plenty of outlets and garbage cans.
maybe even tire wash tubs. Tables should be set to either bar height w/stools or table high w/chairs. Sturdy of course.

House transponders / AMB accepted or Even Pro Score so you can hear lap times anounced as you practice. IF the dirt is wet an goey you may want to add a shoe scraper at the track entry / exits.
Well marked marshal spots so they know where to go. Some use buckets marked with #'s

Layouts should be fun for all skill levels and track should be packed from tube - to wall / tube. It is a peve of mine to run on a 1 lined race track as its no fun to be forced single file and even less fun /sportsman like to have to bump yer way past any 1.
traction should be consistent week in / week out so adjust moisture accordingly. Avoids having a tire war and makes it more fun/fair for the financially challanged.

well stocked Hobby store or at least some of the more common parts broken on hand.

Advertise the hell out of it, dont assume people will find you or just show cuz of word of mouth.
MIP http://miponline.com/store/index.html
AKA http://www.raceaka.com
CRCDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I like having pit space personally. It's not fun when you have people's stuff all mixed in with yours.

Make sure you have plenty of Outlets.

Is there gonna be a Hobby Shop Attached or a part of the Facility? Nothing better then getting a part right then and there.

Depending on the type of dirt you will use.( Clay I assume) Make sure it receives an adquate amount of moisture daily. There was nothing worse then driving at my local indoor track and it be dry. There was no traction and it made the racers very upset about having to pay to run on a track with no traction.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

where are you planning on putting this track? Seattle... ?
Food and drinks are Nice to Have I like to have some thing to snack on while I'm watchin the other races. A on site hobby shop would be the best. I know that i wouldn't like to drive down the street 5 miles to get parts everytime I break something.

Last edited by driftkinginc; 02-02-2009 at 07:07 PM.
driftkinginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Nix the nitro. I have never heard of a nitro track that had adequate ventilation. Add to that, heating/cooling a place with a powerful pump drawing all of that heated/cooled air out of the building and you now have no climate control.

Careful not to go too high with the driver's stand. It should be low enough that a driver can self-marshall without too much trouble. If it's too hard to get down and back up people will lose inteest in practicing. Sound's trivial, I know.

Don't give in to racer's requests for a crazy, supercross, huge airtime layout. They will ask for it but it's up to you to tell them what they want, even if they don't know themselves. Go too crazy with the track and it becomes hard to actually race on it and everybody loses interest and can't tell you why. Plus, it frustrates and drives away newer/less skilled racers who are the most important to attract and retain.
Thanks for the info, advice, and tips. (and post) We were thinking of 6' for the driver stand. As for the track layout, we will be changing at least monthly.. and the track will be from drivers. We'll make a template for the track area, and take layout requests from drivers.
chameleon1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru_Jones View Post
Make it Slash friendly. As much a some like /dislike the class its usally the largest....= more $ for you!

Also a bar that serves alcoholic beverages would be awesome!
And.. may I ask what is NOT slash friendly??!! LOL It will be stock friendly, so, also slash friendly.

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon1204 View Post
Thanks for the info, advice, and tips. (and post) We were thinking of 6' for the driver stand. As for the track layout, we will be changing at least monthly.. and the track will be from drivers. We'll make a template for the track area, and take layout requests from drivers.
I would say go higher than 6 feet for that big of a track area that you where talking....so that you can see with no problems after you make elevation changes in your layouts and jumps and such....Also keep the track so people arent burning up tires and keep the same every week...so that people dont have to buy 5 different sets of tires for one track...and if your going to run 1/8 make sure you have a raised pit lane and right behind it raised benchs for starter boxes and such. and have a separate pit space in a different room so that the fumes arnt in the pits...more expensive yes...but people will love you for it....on site hobby shop is always a + if you can do that...And make sure you have good speakers all around the track so that everyone can hear over noise... and use rc scoring pro....http://www.rcscoringpro.com/ its the best scoring software out there...and if you have internet at the tack you can put your races on Live rc which is becoming very very popular...which helps people learn about your track....and yes make it slash friendly haha...slashes are bringing in many new people to the hobby....

so where are you thinking of building?

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCDUDE View Post
My .02$

Gettin older, I find it a challange to have to climb 12+ steps to get to the top of a drivers stand. I dont mind the excercise, but once Im up there its actually harder to see my vehicle from the far corners of the track. i would think 12-16" up should be plenty. Plus bein up so high would make it harder to see threw the Nitro fumes. Plus it takes forever to get back up/ down to make adjustments.

OF course pit space should be well lit, plenty of outlets and garbage cans.
maybe even tire wash tubs. Tables should be set to either bar height w/stools or table high w/chairs. Sturdy of course.

House transponders / AMB accepted or Even Pro Score so you can hear lap times anounced as you practice. IF the dirt is wet an goey you may want to add a shoe scraper at the track entry / exits.
Well marked marshal spots so they know where to go. Some use buckets marked with #'s

Layouts should be fun for all skill levels and track should be packed from tube - to wall / tube. It is a peve of mine to run on a 1 lined race track as its no fun to be forced single file and even less fun /sportsman like to have to bump yer way past any 1.
traction should be consistent week in / week out so adjust moisture accordingly. Avoids having a tire war and makes it more fun/fair for the financially challanged.

well stocked Hobby store or at least some of the more common parts broken on hand.

Advertise the hell out of it, dont assume people will find you or just show cuz of word of mouth.
I like the way you think! The driver stand will be tall, but ramped, not stairs. The fumes wont be a problem as the stand will be 6' or so, and the ceiling will be 20. that leaves about 8' for fumes. (good thought!)plans for well lit (over the isles) pits, and wash stations. I didn't even think of a scraper for shoes! Cool!

We are also going to provide pit "garages" 6' x 10' with a locking door for those who want to keep their stuff at the track (small fee), and yes, house transponders, and a track timing program will be used. Not sure which one yet.

As for track maintainence, check above! Parts for the most common will be available, along with tool boxes for rent (with deposit and ID). and yes, we'll be advertising! In fact, we are looking into possibly renting a billboard near the track for the locals!

Thank you very much for your post!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftkinginc View Post
where are you planning on putting this track? Seattle... ?
Food and drinks are Nice to Have I like to have some thing to snack on while I'm watchin the other races. A on site hobby shop would be the best. I know that i wouldn't like to drive down the street 5 miles to get parts everytime I break something.
Where? I'm not allowed to say... yet. Drinks, vending. Food, Vending. Shop, yes. Breakage? I can't help you with that unless you practice! LOL

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #26
Tech Adept

bring in good topsoil.. and when you finish the track.. Make sure you can get a bob cat into the track and spread out dirt in the wore out spots or rutted out parts.. I made sure on our track there was enough room to drive a bobcat or small tractor somehow to every part of the track..

makes life easier than a wheelbarrow.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/347804-nib-5700-mamba-max-esc-2-xxx-t-rollers-3-lipos-charger-radio.html#post6658403
bigbadyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

ok guys, here's the scoop. The pits will be at least 4' wide each, by 3' deep. Each pit will be separated by a "wall" so there won't be any parts mingling. Each pit will have an above shelf for extra storage. and each pit will have at least 4 outlets each. the pits will be well lit. I think the pits are taken care of. Oh, and we're planning on having trash cans at the end of every other isle. the others will have a tire station, and a 5 gal bucket of kitty litter for shock oil, motor spray, etc. Did I get all the big ones>? Now... seating. Folding chairs do?

What kind of lane separation do you all like? Black corrigated? White solid pvc? Other?

What kind of surface on the track? Dirt? Clay? Carpet(not my choice)? Other?

fot Pit Road, we are planning for 2 outlets on each pit, a drop style narrow work table, and a tool shelf. Each pit will be numbered to the above corresponding driver space (3.5') and the actual lane will be elevated to 34" and have SPEED BUMPS (2x4 on edge) to keep people from getting hurt!

Those are pretty much guarenteed. Oh, and good ventalation. I'm a stickler for this one as Nitro gives me headaches after a while! And yes, I race nitro too! (Foolish boy here!)

I hope this gives all of you a little food for thought. I'm interested in more than 1 or 2 common factors; I'm in the unusual (IE: Tool box rental) that helps and Makes our house more friendly!

By the way, There is one rule that my partners agree on. NO kids on the track, and we will be featuring a YOUTH race as well as novice, and stock intermediate alongside stock pro class. This way, If you just made 3 wins in novice, and want to go stock, you aren't thrown to the wolves! We all get a chance to win. In the lower classes, Youth 5 wins and bump up, novice and above: 3 wins and bump up. Nobody will be dominating any one class unless they are that good!

Peace, Not pieces!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadyoda View Post
bring in good topsoil.. and when you finish the track.. Make sure you can get a bob cat into the track and spread out dirt in the wore out spots or rutted out parts.. I made sure on our track there was enough room to drive a bobcat or small tractor somehow to every part of the track..

makes life easier than a wheelbarrow.
Thanks for the tip! We will (eventually) be purchasing a tractor with tiller attachment for the track. Thanks for the tip.

We will also be implementing a new idea (maybe new): If you help build the track, you get to practice for FREE until the track changes again! You built it, Why shouldn't you run it?!! The cost of practice will be $2.50 per hour up to $12 for the day.

You can also purchase in advance a month's races for a discount! (to be determined).
Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

On of the dislikes I find at tracks in general.. in the pits, I hate trying to get out of my pit spot, down the isle to the track.. I find the amount of "table space" not as bad as the person sitting right behind me.. sitting on the edge of their chair while my fat butt is scrunched up into my table.. then having to get up and bowl people over trying to get my gear to the track.
In shorter terms, more space between rows?

As for your seperation of pits into "?" cubby's? I am not keen on that, if im reading it correctly.. a small 12''+/- riser/shelf is cool, but a full wall cuts out the interaction of others and to me, would make me feel isolated.
This idea, in terms of "lockers" is great though.. I tried to get that at the last indoor track I was attending.. never happened though

And the other thing I would really like to see.. is the availability to practice throughout the week.. my work schedule gives me multiple days off during the week.. but limited on the weekends.. going in on a monday, tuesday or wednesday is nice (much nicer for an indoor track too since weather is the biggest issue for outside tracks)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Clay/dirt mix is nice to have...and yellow pipe is great to have to...I know alot of tracks that use the yellow piping instead of black.....And i would not make the each pit a little cubby...thats just annoying...I havent really know anyone who likes that....its nice to be able to look across at the guy in front of you and talk to him because most people pit with their buddies anyways.....I think you have a great idea with letting the people who work on the track practice for free, prob get you a lot more help on track rebuilds to.

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote