Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Borik
DBL
I'm running the tekin rs not the pro version. I'm running stock spur w/20 tooth pinion.
Look on the Tekin website at randy pikes Tekin set up for the dex410. There is a setting in there that most people over look. Took me a cooked motor to find it. I can run 10 minutes now and not over heat. Btw it's not the dual mode or sensor mode either.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jamison R
Look on the Tekin website at randy pikes Tekin set up for the dex410. There is a setting in there that most people over look. Took me a cooked motor to find it. I can run 10 minutes now and not over heat. Btw it's not the dual mode or sensor mode either.
Thx, Jamison. I will definately check that out. I'll most likely pick up the rs pro today. I also need to look into what is causing the drag in this car. maybe it was having the wrong esc for this car and motor. We will see. Aside from that, this car is sik. Very easy to drive and even the slightest changes in set up make a huge difference.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've come up with a very quick and dirty fix for the front end of the 410 to help prevent the chassis from tweaking and changing the kickup. This may also help prevent the front center shaft from popping out (hasn't happened to me yet) by reducing the flex through this area.
This fix applies to those who use the aluminum front servo holder. The plastic holder has a feature similar to this mod.

Take the front upper brace, and a Durango ball end from your spares.

Stuff the ball end through the hole.

Make sure it goes all the way through and is flush with the bottom.

Cut the top off flush with a good sharp blade.

Mount the upper brace.

Use an M3 X 12 screw with a nice aluminum countersunk finisher to secure the brace.

Your front aluminum steering rack has now been turned into a secondary support for the upper brace. Those of you who use the aluminum side pods and aluminum steering mount know all too well what happens over time... those two little round posts that connect the upper brace to the sidepods will oval out the holes in the pods and will allow the whole front end to tweak. This will definitely prevent that.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Nice work Gump..
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxingout
The tekin rs is only rate to about a 8.5. that 7.5 is over heating your esc and thus shutting down.
Myself and sons are running three dex410 buggies with Tekin RS esc's and 7.5 motors and not over heating the esc. If he has drag in his buggy, more than likely a bearing is locking up somewhere or his gear mesh is set too tight. I have run my buggy for over a year in this configuration and not a single heat issue or thermaling of the Tekin RS. Older documentation shows that esc being rated even lower than what you mention.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
Myself and sons are running three dex410 buggies with Tekin RS esc's and 7.5 motors and not over heating the esc. If he has drag in his buggy, more than likely a bearing is locking up somewhere or his gear mesh is set too tight. I have run my buggy for over a year in this configuration and not a single heat issue or thermaling of the Tekin RS. Older documentation shows that esc being rated even lower than what you mention.
Yes, the older versions said it was safe to 5T I believe? A 4wd doesn't fall into the normal use category, IMO that is why the rating changed. If the stars are aligned, and your gearing is spot on, it can be done, but the wiggle room for changing temps and traction is nearly nonexistent..
Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx
Yes, the older versions said it was safe to 5T I believe? A 4wd doesn't fall into the normal use category, IMO that is why the rating changed. If the stars are aligned, and your gearing is spot on, it can be done, but the wiggle room for changing temps and traction is nearly nonexistent..
IMO, the rating changed to increase sales of the RS Pro. Unlike the RX8's, I have seen very few problems with the RS lines of speed controllers. We used the same ones in touring cars running boosted 13.5 systems and they did just as well as the guys running the RS Pro systems. Those touring cars are putting down alot more RPM's for an extended period of time compared to the 4wd mod buggies also. It's all nothing more than sales terminology. If the EPA regulated speed controls and manufacture ratings like they do fuel mileage I am willing to bet some things would be pulled off the market in favor of others.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LKGraffix
Thx, Jamison. I will definately check that out. I'll most likely pick up the rs pro today. I also need to look into what is causing the drag in this car. maybe it was having the wrong esc for this car and motor. We will see. Aside from that, this car is sik. Very easy to drive and even the slightest changes in set up make a huge difference.
Try removing your pinon and rolling the buggy...if it's not free then you know it's in the drive train.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
I run on a fairly large indoor track and my rs would thermal after about 5 or 6 minutes of running with an 8.5 in my Dex410. It absolutely couldn't handle it. Put the rs in my dex210 wiht a 10.5 and zero problems. I put an RS Pro in the DEX410 with a 7.5 now and it runs ice cold.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
Has anyone here ran 210 rear arms, hubs, and driveshafts on the 410? I'm a little annoyed with the rear outer hinge pin size and breaking them or the hubs.

I've looked at the arms, and they seem to be about the same length. Just need to space the inner hinge pin more to compensate.

I'm going to setup the car with 210 rear arms and see what I can come up with.
So I have one side of the car setup with the 210 rear suspension. Waiting on an order for more rear hub inserts to finish the other side. Once I finish the whole car I'll post some pictures.

I'm hoping this makes the rear-end a little more durable. I haven't had the best of luck with rear hinge pins; really like the idea of running 3mm pins vs. the smaller outers that come in the kit. Also allows easier toe changes.

One thing that you can't do with this setup however is adjust rear droop via a screw. Since the inner part of the arm is skinner, the droop hole doesn't reach the stock location unless the arm is spaced very far forward. I don't think this is going to be a big issue though.

Lastly, I'm sure the rear track width has changed, but I don't think it pushed it beyond the front width, which is something you don't want typically.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

i am getting closer to picking one of these babys up. question for you guys..

what motor and esc combos are you guys running?
i have seen a few pictures of pro4 motors in these, isnt that overkill for this buggy?
I have an rx8 but its so big i want to sell it and get something else..
also have a trinity 10.5 is that enough, my track is indoor tight with a big jump usually, the rest are smaller. (trcr)

thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryanpatrickgore

i have seen a few pictures of pro4 motors in these, isnt that overkill for this buggy?
also have a trinity 10.5 is that enough, my track is indoor tight with a big jump usually, the rest are smaller. (trcr)

thanks
I've had mine for a few weeks...its an absolute blast to drive and race. i just installed the Tekin RS pro esc with a new 7.5 motor. I had the tekin rs and 7.5 motor and for some reason it went thermal and cooked. I've read on here and the Tekin web site and Randy Pike runs the rs pro with a 6.5. I like the driveability of the 7.5. Some do run an rx8 but space is very tight on this car and yes it is overkill.
This buggy is very easy to drive and handles flawlessly (with the right set up). It took me a full practice day to get my set up right...but its dialed now.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

thanks
You'll get alot of opinions on this one. My personal experience of 2 years of driving this car.
I've always run an Tekin RSPro. A 10.5 is a great starting motor to learn how to drive/tune the car esp on a small/tight track. Move up to 8.5 as you get the need for more speed. I run an Orion 7.5 (which is way too fast for my local track) but will likely switch out to a Tekin Gen2 8.5 in the next couple of weeks (not because I need to, just gonna give it a try).
Pro4 is not really mean't for 4wd buggy. A regular 540 can is fine.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks
The RX8 does fit my mate put one in his, all you have to do is cut the casing off and grind a bit of the heatsink,he has posted up a pick of it in this forum, look for JPM1
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile

thanks
I use the Orion r10 with 6.5 epic motor, I have used it at TRCR and on smaller tracks both carpet and offroad. The 10.5 will work well and will be really smooth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.