Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
Do not buy the Durango...
Why not?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can find a hater or a FAN BOY for every ride out there... If that car fits your budget enjoy it. I have been racing one weekly on carpet for about a year. Its a great car...

Welcome to RCTECH
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kart32
Why not?
I'll stand behind him. The words "I'm new to this" and Durango usually do not go well together. Just making an honest observation. Trust me, he's not a Durango hater either.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

YES, i also agree, the Durango is not the car for someone new to the hobby, it is a full blow race kit, that requires setup knowledge and a very aggressive driving. I have the 2010 spec and a cat sx3, the sx3 is easier to drive and be consistent with, I do put down faster laps with the dingo, but that is it faster lap and get marshalled. Awesome car if you drive aggressively and consistently.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry i just dont buy that. I been at this too long to suggest to someone starting out racing to not buy a pro level car to start out with.. The R packs a good load of value in it.

IF the guy came on here looking for advise on a redcat or exceed cars we rip him a new one suggesting they are crap (which they are) and suggest get a name brand car.. I sickens me how many times people show up on my site asking about redcrap type brands.... they waste there money and disappear from the hobby fast.

The R fits budget racers wallets well.

Of course if your local shop does not carry parts and no one at your track is racing them... I would consider another brand completely. Luckily at my track we have support for AE,Durango,Shcumacher and Tamiya so i typically would recomend a new racer pick one of those based on local support in my area.
READ the manual. Take your time building it, visit the durango site and block for building tips as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Initiate

It's not the price I'm worried about I just want to get the best car. I don't want to buy this one and then learn about a better car that costs a little more. Like I said I'm new to rc cars and am looking for help on the best car to buy.
Thanks Jordan
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

How about you give us a bit more info?

Will you be racing?
What are the brands being raced at your local track?
Does your Local hobby shop carry Durango?
IF not what brands do they carry?

If your never going to race. Ill be 100% honest. Skip this class of car, you can go just as fast or faster on the parking lot for less money with other classes of offroad cars/trucks
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Sorry i just dont buy that. I been at this too long to suggest to someone starting out racing to not buy a pro level car to start out with.. The R packs a good load of value in it.

IF the guy came on here looking for advise on a redcat or exceed cars we rip him a new one suggesting they are crap (which they are) and suggest get a name brand car.. I sickens me how many times people show up on my site asking about redcrap type brands.... they waste there money and disappear from the hobby fast.

The R fits budget racers wallets well.

Of course if your local shop does not carry parts and no one at your track is racing them... I would consider another brand completely. Luckily at my track we have support for AE,Durango,Shcumacher and Tamiya so i typically would recomend a new racer pick one of those based on local support in my area.
READ the manual. Take your time building it, visit the durango site and block for building tips as well.
Thanks for the input. It helps. The track I have been going to stocks Durango parts and does have a good class going. I am going to race woth them. I just wanted to make sure it was a good car to buy.
Thanks jordan

Last edited by kart32; 12-19-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Didn't put everything in post
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DBL15
your so helpful

yes mate a 10.5 will work in them no problem at all
Thanks I appreciate it
Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kart32
It's not the price I'm worried about I just want to get the best car. I don't want to buy this one and then learn about a better car that costs a little more. Like I said I'm new to rc cars and am looking for help on the best car to buy.
Thanks Jordan
If you have a full understanding that the best is not indestructable, then we did our due diligence. Normally new guys require some time to tune their driving skills and this is probably not the best vehicle to do that unless you have a good supply of parts. And honestly, I run nothing but Durango now and I can say the parts supply is not that great right now.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

In the 4wd class breakage is a reality. Too much power along with over aggresive drivers result in many DNF's

That said i have found the 410 to be a very strong car. Having run it on carpet since i have owned it. i have much harder things to hit that will cause breakage. Honestly it only breaks when im driving like an idiot.

So you have local support. So thats great. The think that brought me to run the 410 was gear diffs. I was tired of ball diffs and keeping up with there care requirements. Get the front hing pin brace, buy a quality steering servo and get a motor that is not overkill.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I run an R and love it, its very tough for a 4wd buggy. I would say the toughest part of the whole deal is setting up the running gear. Its not bad if you buy specific small stuff. But if you are trying to make what you have fit it becomes challenging. But if you really take your time and plan it out. You can get it all in there.

I had some issues at first with diff tuning. Coming from ball diffs was a challenge. Too lite and its a handful, too thick slow to react. Once I got that down its been blazin fast!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
get a motor that is not overkill.
What would you say is the perfect motor wind for the 410 on high bite surfaces? I spend most of my time on medium size astroturf tracks with my 10th buggies. Most racers in Norway go for 6.5 turns, but I've seen a lot of suggestions all the way up to 10.5 over on your side of the pond. I too am currently on 6.5 in my B44.1, but I'm thinking of dropping to 7.5 in my coming 410. Advice please?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.