Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread >

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Brass Rear Weight

I am tossing around the idea of machining my own rear weight skid plate. I can make about 8 pieces in one batch. And that's all I would want to do. PM me if you are interested. US only. If there is enough interested I will do it.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default How much of a difference will i see with big bores?

It seems as all the rage is big bore shocks on 1/10th scale buggies regardless of the brand. I have the Losi 22 with big Bores and also a Kyosho rb5 with non big bores and to be honest I run about the same lap times. Yes they drive different but one doesn't seem to be better than the other overall.

I now have 2 dex 410's that I picked up near new. Love em so my question is - Do you really see a "noticable" improvement in lap times? Coming from motorcycle racing I know that everyone wants the latest greatest but normally they are pissin money away. My skill level is I finish top 3 in every class I run normally and i run sc 2wd stadium truck, 1/10th buggies, and 1/8 buggy

thanks in advance as I my son will want to drive one of the dex10's and I don't want to make the investment unless it's really needed- rather buy entry fees!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cota4rt
It seems as all the rage is big bore shocks on 1/10th scale buggies regardless of the brand. I have the Losi 22 with big Bores and also a Kyosho rb5 with non big bores and to be honest I run about the same lap times. Yes they drive different but one doesn't seem to be better than the other overall.

I now have 2 dex 410's that I picked up near new. Love em so my question is - Do you really see a "noticable" improvement in lap times? Coming from motorcycle racing I know that everyone wants the latest greatest but normally they are pissin money away. My skill level is I finish top 3 in every class I run normally and i run sc 2wd stadium truck, 1/10th buggies, and 1/8 buggy

thanks in advance as I my son will want to drive one of the dex10's and I don't want to make the investment unless it's really needed- rather buy entry fees!!!
I bought a set, raced with them last weekend. I did not notice a huge difference, I felt slightly more stable in the moguls and big jumps. I wonder what the weight difference is between the two, that could have a part in it. A great shock to build, very smooth.

I know a few guys in Europe still prefer the regular shocks, they say it calms the car down.

The main reason I bought them was to share springs with my DEX210.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cota4rt

I brought a set for my 410R. Didn't really like how they made the buggy feel. Felt kind of sloppy, hard to describe. I jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else (buying them) but after a couple of runs I went back to the stock shocks and have been running them ever since. Just my experience / 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is great conversation--please try to keep this one going! I am sure a lot of the guys are wondering the same thing as I certainly am myself.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have never had shocks stay as good as long as the OG rango shocks. Im glad this came up. Saved me 120$ thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the way I feel about it is this: Big bores have a lager diameter hole, and the piston is also larger giving you 6 holes. To me this will give me more of a range for tuning. As is with the 6 hole piston and your typical oil weight. the car will be smoother through low speed bumps. However the car is going to be very sloppy in high speed situation. The "Initial" force will compress quicker. Now, if you read the setups guys are plugging the holes to allow only 3-4 holes. This will calm down the car on the initial force and act more like the older shocks.

So to me the Big Bores give me more range of Tuning.

My .02
Old 10-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by TAMAK
Yeah, the way I feel about it is this: Big bores have a lager diameter hole, and the piston is also larger giving you 6 holes. To me this will give me more of a range for tuning. As is with the 6 hole piston and your typical oil weight. the car will be smoother through low speed bumps. However the car is going to be very sloppy in high speed situation. The "Initial" force will compress quicker. Now, if you read the setups guys are plugging the holes to allow only 3-4 holes. This will calm down the car on the initial force and act more like the older shocks.

My .02
exactly! i won't say they will lower your lap times, but they will give the car a different feel. alot of feed back is they provide stability and settle the car down faster.. the benefits will vary from driver to driver, track to track.

if you currently have the smaller shocks, i won't say they're a must have, however, if you have a 210 then why not share springs and pistons.

also, as the cars evolve the newer setups will be using the BB shocks. im not a big setup copier but they can be helpful.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAMAK

My .02
Another rarely considered benefit of big bores is the extra volume of oil in the shock. Believe it or not these shocks gain temp throughout a race. I have seen studies with charts comparing true viscosity of shock oils at different temps and a relatively small change in temp can change the oils flow characteristics significantly. More oil = more resistance to temp change which leads to a more consistent car throughout the whole race.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Since we're on the topic of shocks, I have a full set of original shocks for sale:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...5-shipped.html
Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The shocks are really preference. I think the big bores are a little more "forgiving" that the originals. However I have both as a tuning aid. If you watched the worlds Jorn used the smaller original's, not the big bores. He said it was due to the high bite track and the car felt better. I'm guessing on hardpack the smaller shocks will give you the feedback you want. On a loose, bumpy, blown out track the Big bores might be an advantage.

You get a wider "tuning" range with the big bores, however for the average club racer you are not going to notice a difference, or a drop in lap times.

I have a set of both and will switch them out as needed depending on conditions.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Konich
The shocks are really preference. I think the big bores are a little more "forgiving" that the originals. However I have both as a tuning aid. If you watched the worlds Jorn used the smaller original's, not the big bores. He said it was due to the high bite track and the car felt better. I'm guessing on hardpack the smaller shocks will give you the feedback you want. On a loose, bumpy, blown out track the Big bores might be an advantage.

You get a wider "tuning" range with the big bores, however for the average club racer you are not going to notice a difference, or a drop in lap times.

I have a set of both and will switch them out as needed depending on conditions.
+1. I noticed Jorn went back to his stockers too. That gave me a little bit of confidence that I liked how it felt with the stock shocks.

I am most definitely an average club racer and run my DEX primarily on small indoor high-bite clay track.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

When I switched over to the big bores I had to go down on the sway bars. I thought it really helped take the twitch/responsiveness out. I race on a tight blown out indoor track. It helped me push the car harder. Stock shocks I ran 2 hole, 25 losi ,black spring fronts, Lt. green 3 hole 30 losi rear. Now I run 1.2 6 hole F/R, 35 Losi/27.5 Losi Dark green fronts and Lt. Green rears and 1.3 bars. Everyone has a preference, and mine is the Big Bores.........
Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

thanks for all the input so far. As with most other types of racing alot of the "must haves" if they are a noticable difference only the top drivers will be able to quantify said difference. I believe most of us would be better off spending more money on tires and practice
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Team Durango,

Can you please get some TD510016 in stock somewhere! I can find the rear, but no fronts....anywhere....

Tough to run a car when you can't buy front wheels! And I don't have any of the old ones and don't want to go backwards in compatibility to get tires on the buggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.