Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
one way, not spool
Do they even make a one-way for offroad?

But to answer your question, no.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Ugh, still working out some annoying gremlins. Most of these minor issues are no doubt my fault, but the vagueness of the instructions is partly to blame. Yesterday was not an ideal race day with the Rango!

First qualifier the truck lost steering half way though. I get it back to the pits to find my servo saver nut backed all the way off. The single most annoying thing about this truck is removing the servo . . . it's a bear! You have to remove the top plate, front diff, unbolt the steering rack from the posts, and pull the four screws off the bottom of the chassis. I remember thinking as I built the kit that it was strange that the servo installation was near the beginning of the build and that I hope I never had servo problems The instructions don't give you any indication on the servo saver tension in terms of threads or measurement.

I added some lock tight to the servo saver nut and tightened quite a bit further this time. Next qualifier I lose steering again half way through the race. Back to my pits again to find that the screw holding the servo saver to the servo backed all the way out, arrrrgghhh! I didn't even make it two laps before this happened. So I have to remove the servo again. I managed to finish the 3rd qualifier and qualified mid-pack. During the main all of a sudden my wheels locked full right after a hard hit. Pull the truck from the race and back to the pits. I had the servo saver too tight and upon that hard hit, it stripped the servo saver on the servo spline. I didn't have a spare servo saver base, so I left the track with the Rango in pieces.

The good news is that during the race day I pulled both the front and rear diffs to see if any slack developed inside the gear boxes. Last weekend after a few battery packs of practice I re-shimmed each diff with an extra .1mm copper shim on top of the build settings. This weekend after three qualifiers the diffs didn't seem to develop any more slack, so I'm hoping I won't need to be shimming them any further.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Man...

So far I can't find a company that doesn't offer a one way, besides Durango obviously. Losi, AE, Team Xtreme, Schumacher, Tamiya, Hot Bodies, and Kyosho all have one ways for their 4wds. I'd imagine every company that makes a 4wd offers a one way for it.

One ways are most useful offroad where front tires lock up under braking, that's the entire point of a one way, to allow the front tires to continue rotating, and thus continue steering the car, while the rear tires are used for braking. This isn't an issue onroad where there is massive amounts of traction and the front tires don't lock up under braking, so a one way onroad is relatively useless. 20-30 people at my local onroad track, no one running a one way, lots of spools though.

When the DEX410R was first announced, one of the first things that Gerd said was that the 410R would come with regular ball diffs and that a one-way diff would be available. Oh well.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
Ugh, still working out some annoying gremlins. Most of these minor issues are no doubt my fault, but the vagueness of the instructions is partly to blame. Yesterday was not an ideal race day with the Rango!

First qualifier the truck lost steering half way though. I get it back to the pits to find my servo saver nut backed all the way off. The single most annoying thing about this truck is removing the servo . . . it's a bear! You have to remove the top plate, front diff, unbolt the steering rack from the posts, and pull the four screws off the bottom of the chassis. I remember thinking as I built the kit that it was strange that the servo installation was near the beginning of the build and that I hope I never had servo problems The instructions don't give you any indication on the servo saver tension in terms of threads or measurement.

I added some lock tight to the servo saver nut and tightened quite a bit further this time. Next qualifier I lose steering again half way through the race. Back to my pits again to find that the screw holding the servo saver to the servo backed all the way out, arrrrgghhh! I didn't even make it two laps before this happened. So I have to remove the servo again. I managed to finish the 3rd qualifier and qualified mid-pack. During the main all of a sudden my wheels locked full right after a hard hit. Pull the truck from the race and back to the pits. I had the servo saver too tight and upon that hard hit, it stripped the servo saver on the servo spline. I didn't have a spare servo saver base, so I left the track with the Rango in pieces.

The good news is that during the race day I pulled both the front and rear diffs to see if any slack developed inside the gear boxes. Last weekend after a few battery packs of practice I re-shimmed each diff with an extra .1mm copper shim on top of the build settings. This weekend after three qualifiers the diffs didn't seem to develop any more slack, so I'm hoping I won't need to be shimming them any further.
save yourself another servo removal and put an aluminum horn and either a teserey servo saver or a racers edge servo saver. I started destroying those untill the aluminum ones were available.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Man...

So far I can't find a company that doesn't offer a one way, besides Durango obviously. Losi, AE, Team Xtreme, Schumacher, Tamiya, Hot Bodies, and Kyosho all have one ways for their 4wds. I'd imagine every company that makes a 4wd offers a one way for it.

One ways are most useful offroad where front tires lock up under braking, that's the entire point of a one way, to allow the front tires to continue rotating, and thus continue steering the car, while the rear tires are used for braking. This isn't an issue onroad where there is massive amounts of traction and the front tires don't lock up under braking, so a one way onroad is relatively useless. 20-30 people at my local onroad track, no one running a one way, lots of spools though.

When the DEX410R was first announced, one of the first things that Gerd said was that the 410R would come with regular ball diffs and that a one-way diff would be available. Oh well.
In the Losi and AE buggies I never ran a one-way unless the track was really bumpy . 4wd buggies actually like to drive into and out a corner . With the right setup and tires you can throttle right through the turns .

I do remember before the DEX410 was released they said they would either come with bother gear and ball diffs or at least the ball diffs would be an option part . I think the buggy is great and better than any other 4wd I have driven so far .
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Thank you Team Durango. Awesome customer service!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

BIG BORES are out! http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=3074
Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Now we just need a setup for them........
Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT
Now we just need a setup for them........
Check Hupo's set-up from cactus this year, he was running them.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone notice how the cvd pins will not center once tight? Everyone of mine are offset.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grapejuice
Check Hupo's set-up from cactus this year, he was running them.
The only one I found was Billy Fischers. Can you please post a link? Thanks........
Old 04-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT
The only one I found was Billy Fischers. Can you please post a link? Thanks........
Here you go.

http://www.team-durango.com/pdf/setu...S_21_03_10.pdf
Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xrider
Thanks, but how do you know there big bores? It has the stock configuration pistons.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1day
Anyone notice how the cvd pins will not center once tight? Everyone of mine are offset.
Sure you have the flat spot facing the set screw ? All mine have been center since day one .
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
To the guys that posted about the slipper wobble issue - thanks. My new built DEX has this problem too. Thought it was just slightly warped spur at first, but you can see the center rear out drive and shaft wobbling now.

I am not alone. Wondered why my DESC410R with 550 and mod 1 gears was quieter... I emailed Team Durango and we will see.
It's because team durango has poor quality control and poor materials. My car had driveshafts that were bow shaped an the ring gears lasted a couple packs. I dumped that POS and never looked back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.