Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread >

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R-E-A-P-E-R-
If there was no nonsince on this forum it wouldn't be here. We are just having fun. If you have acquisition it will get answered. Who would actually search through 300 pages to find something anyways. The search option on this site sucks.

If you have a question ask it. The only guys I know who race and do not have a sence of humor race onroad.
+1, i've been following this thread since page 100 or so and have yet to see a question that has been asked not get answered, i got my kit last week and plan on building it tomarrow, i'm sure i'll have some stupid newb question to ask and i know it will be answered, maybe with some sarcasm, but who gives a $h!t, life is too short, thanks for the help guys, keep it up
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rangerjkb
Maxxingout, great thinking on the servo saver and servo horn issues being linked to stripping out stock horn. If you ever consider making another one or go production, I'd purchase one.

Miket3, There are several of us in the MidWest running the lighter fluids (7k/3k) with great success on a hard packed smooth track, but sometimes diffs out under hard acceleration through turns. Similarly, cars with (10k/5k) weights handle very well also. Plan to try these next race, to possibly gain more positive on power handling. Look forward to reading the Petit RC explination on rear anti-squat settings, thanks for posting up!
I have tried 7/3 but for me this works best when the track is a little bumpy with really tight infield sections. You have to be smooth on power or inside wheels will balloon. 10/5 and pretty much really easy to drive, somewhat athletic and all around good setup. recently changed to 15/5 and I like it alot. If I need more steering i will adjust other geometry in order ot achieve rather than going down in front diff. Plus with the 15k in front it pulls out of the turns really well. There is nothing I've tried in the diffs that was bad, just different. With that said, I like the heavier diff fluds in most situations.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Ya I tend to run a heavier diff oil setup too. Its just more predictable.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Diff's

I've heard the tearm "diff out"

what is the car actually doing when this occours ?

One thing I have noticed from the posted video's (other than hogsman's) and the few tracks we've raced on is that indoor clay tracks are usually very very smooth, almost carpet like and high bite. Unfortunatly the place were racing these days isn't like that at all..very bumpy, not blown out holes, but not compacted either just rolled smooth. The smoothest car I've seen on the track is my buddy's CAt SX2. I have a couple thoughts as to why. 1-big bore shocks with what appears to be progressive springs. 2- a chassis that probably flexes more than the rango (just a guess here).

How many guys run the plastic U brace as opposed to the carbon fiber?

We have also found the sway bars to smooth out the bumpy track, not to mention the manual says to put the 1.5 mm on the front and rear. Anyone curious..try them, their simple to put on, just be sure and adjust them per the TD website tip.

Thanks for the tip on the manual. I now have one.

Mike
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3

One thing I have noticed from the posted video's (other than hogsman's) and the few tracks we've raced on is that indoor clay tracks are usually very very smooth, almost carpet like and high bite. Unfortunatly the place were racing these days isn't like that at all..very bumpy, not blown out holes, but not compacted either just rolled smooth. The smoothest car I've seen on the track is my buddy's CAt SX2. I have a couple thoughts as to why. 1-big bore shocks with what appears to be progressive springs. 2- a chassis that probably flexes more than the rango (just a guess here).

We have also found the sway bars to smooth out the bumpy track, not to mention the manual says to put the 1.5 mm on the front and rear. Anyone curious..try them, their simple to put on, just be sure and adjust them per the TD website tip.

Mike
diff. out... when in a corner the outside tire has all the weight and the diff is too loose and the inside tire spins at a high rate of speed. this causes the car to loose forward momentum. this can be fixed by running a thicker oil in the rango or by tightening the set screw in a ball diff. hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Mike
as for your buddy, if you havent driven his car to feel if its that much smoother it might just be his driving skills. ive seen great drivers make the biggest pile of a car look good. mine works good on big blown out tracks w/ my same clay setup. just my .02
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah just look at Cav and Mayfield. They seem to win just about everything they enter and they run AE's

Hahahahaha
Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default pinion shimming???

I know just about everyone has at one time chipped one of the ring gears. They practically stay on back order at Amain. When I look at it, it appears as though the mesh isn't that great. I am going to add a shim between the pinion and the 5mm x 10mm bearing to force the pinion further into the ring gear. Here's a pic. Anyone else tried this?
Attached Thumbnails Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-pinion-shimming.jpg  

Last edited by rfleck; 01-07-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Diff

thanks for the explanation of diff out. Now that I understand what your talking about I will say I've never seen it nor experienced it. I've run 1/8 Elec stuff before with 5K in a diff running 6S and 2050 motor in a buggy and never had that issue. Maybe the tracks here in the Midwest( Indiana/ IL./MI.) are very low on traction compared to other places ? Just a guess.

I agree anyone can win with any car. The 3 of us are all pretty much the same level drivers with similar drivers, the CAT guy is just doing it with alot les effort at the wheel. My buddy is going to run both cars back to back this Sunday..we'll see what his responce is.

Does anyone run the HIGH rear roll center for more grip ?

Which chassis U brace you guys running..Plastic or Carbon fiber ??

I appreciate the tuneing/set up conversation.

Mike
Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Default rango

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...410_Manual.pdf

Page 26 explains the rear hinge pin holders and roll centers avail
Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

thanks for the explanation of diff out. Now that I understand what your talking about I will say I've never seen it nor experienced it. I've run 1/8 Elec stuff before with 5K in a diff running 6S and 2050 motor in a buggy and never had that issue. Maybe the tracks here in the Midwest( Indiana/ IL./MI.) are very low on traction compared to other places ? Just a guess.

I agree anyone can win with any car. The 3 of us are all pretty much the same level drivers with similar drivers, the CAT guy is just doing it with alot les effort at the wheel. My buddy is going to run both cars back to back this Sunday..we'll see what his responce is.

Does anyone run the HIGH rear roll center for more grip ?

Which chassis U brace you guys running..Plastic or Carbon fiber ??

I appreciate the tuneing/set up conversation.

Mike
Go drive a SC10 with a gear diff, they just keep turning but yeah...never really felt my durango diff out

I run the plastic U-brace and plastic sides, IMO the car drives better with a little more flex.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grapejuice
Go drive a SC10 with a gear diff, they just keep turning but yeah...never really felt my durango diff out

I run the plastic U-brace and plastic sides, IMO the car drives better with a little more flex.

So far I feel this is the case with the rango setups we have been running as well. Seems the more flex the more predictable it becomes. Guy's I have about the easiest sence of humor a guy could have just got a little aggitated when trying a search and all that came up was a bunch of bs. I know everyone has been pretty helpful with the Q & A's just don't want to wade through the pages of crap to find an answer or ask the same question that has been answered a hundred times already. So basicly I need to know what hop ups I really need?!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you have the DEX410 like it says in your sig. Them you basically need nothing. You can play around with plastic side guards but the car is solid.

I would recommend to anyone to get an aluminum servo are and saver. It's the weakest link on the car.

Ball cups, you'll either love them or hate them

If you have the R car

You should look into getting the ABC and D aluminum suspension plates

Maybe some carbon towers if you bent the stockers
Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

as far as asking questions ask away the thread is like 340 pages long. i doubt anyone on here expects a new owner to read through the whole thread. just read back 5 or ten pages and a lot stuff is brought up within ten pages. people get pi$$ed when someone asks something that was covered on the previous page, or two posts above theirs. we all know the search function is useless.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

hogmansp: sent you a pm.

rfleck: I haven't had to shim this area and so far have been very fortunate with the gears not chipping or stripping out. I recently broke the car in several places for the first time, but it was all due to dirver error, lol! Hope TX is treating you well and will be coming through there (Ft. Worth)this summer(Jun-Jul)to get in some racing, either 8th or 10th scale racing.

+1 on REAPERs post for minimally needed upgrades for the R car.

I still have a heavy trigger finger sometimes and with a car that handles this good, I tend to give it too much throttle through sweepers and exiting corners sometimes and can diff out the lighter oil diffs. After several posts and pm's from guys with more experience with this car, I believe the higher diff weights will much better suit my driving style and produce better overall lap times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.