Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread >

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry if this doesn't really belong here. I'm looking to get into this hobby and with every new category of r/c it's always overwhelming at first. The DEX410v5 has definitely caught my eye with it's 3rd diff which seems pretty unique to this model?

How is parts availability for these in the US (I'm in Orange County, CA). I'm fine with shopping online if necessary so long as parts are available, but i'm not even sure where to look online.

I really like the looks of this and the XB4, but it seems like tlr,associated and kyosho are the brands with a large selection of local parts availability. I'm probably not educated enough to make a proper decision, but on the surface the models available from the locally available brands don't seem to have the same feature set as the DEX410v5.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:19 AM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bleomycin
Sorry if this doesn't really belong here. I'm looking to get into this hobby and with every new category of r/c it's always overwhelming at first. The DEX410v5 has definitely caught my eye with it's 3rd diff which seems pretty unique to this model?

How is parts availability for these in the US (I'm in Orange County, CA). I'm fine with shopping online if necessary so long as parts are available, but i'm not even sure where to look online.

I really like the looks of this and the XB4, but it seems like tlr,associated and kyosho are the brands with a large selection of local parts availability. I'm probably not educated enough to make a proper decision, but on the surface the models available from the locally available brands don't seem to have the same feature set as the DEX410v5.
The center diff is new to the DEX410 platform, outside of aftermarket chassis builds.

Tower Hobbies
and Amain Hobbies both carry Durango parts.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

looks like mid february for the arrival at tower.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rear center driveshaft short

Thanks for all the great advice in this thread! I did find references to this issue here but couldn't source specifics so hopefully someone has measurements.

I bought a new Dex410 v3 and just put it together but the rear/center driveshaft barely sits in the dual slipper yoke's output. The driveshaft is labeled 68mm and measures that. The output yoke measures 16mm which I haven't been able to confirm is correct. V3 states 68mm is correct and that a longer yoke is used but do I have the correct one?

I would like to think I'm not stupid but maybe I did something wrong?
Attached Thumbnails Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-20160207_232154.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Philement
Thanks for all the great advice in this thread! I did find references to this issue here but couldn't source specifics so hopefully someone has measurements.

I bought a new Dex410 v3 and just put it together but the rear/center driveshaft barely sits in the dual slipper yoke's output. The driveshaft is labeled 68mm and measures that. The output yoke measures 16mm which I haven't been able to confirm is correct. V3 states 68mm is correct and that a longer yoke is used but do I have the correct one?

I would like to think I'm not stupid but maybe I did something wrong?
Looks like you have the shorter drive cup from the older pre-v3 car.
Pics here: http://www.team-durango.com/race-cars/dex410v3/

Think you need TD310230 with the 68mm shaft
Old 02-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks and that's what I suspect. I'm hoping someone can dial caliper the "long" yoke to make sure it's longer than 16mm. I have put a call into TD but they didn't have dimensions of what it should be. You guys will be faster
Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you call up Durango and ask nicely, the may send you the longer driveshaft free of charge. ;-)

I've had minor issues with a few parts like my 21 front blocks where one was only threaded half way and 2 others with micro threads that literally pulled out as I threaded the set screws in them and they were excellent in taking care of the issue. The only time they gave me a hard time was with front arms in 2013 where there was large batch of them that were inexplicably brittle and some of use were snapping them like toothpicks. Even then, given my history of issues and all the feedback I provided, I was adamant that the arms were indeed defective because I had previously only broken a single front arm in a year's worth of hard racing and the new ones were simply brittle and provided links to countless others experiencing the same thing and they sent me 4 sets of front arms as that was what my latest receipt from Amain showed I'd purchased and in 2 weeks time I'd gone through 3 sets.

Be nice but be don't shy away at the first hint they don't feel it's a defect. This was indeed a miscalculation on their part and they should send you the updated bit(s) so that you get 100% performance from the upgrade you spent your hard earned money on.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tobamiester
Looks like you have the shorter drive cup from the older pre-v3 car.
Pics here: http://www.team-durango.com/race-cars/dex410v3/

Think you need TD310230 with the 68mm shaft
Man oh man, I just clicked the link to check it out and seeing the pics makes me want to buy myself another 410. LOL

My son has inherited my 410 and it's STILL beast so I get to drive it and of course I work on it, so it's not like I'm out of touch with it, but I do miss driving it on the regular. Now the slipper is out for the SB401 so I am inclined to try it out with that instead of the center diff to see how much it's been missing in the way of tuning and performance, but if it doesn't do the trick, I may yet pull the trigger on a K2 to fulfill my childhood dream of finally owning a Schumacher Wheeler. If that doesn't match the performance of the 410, then a v5 will be the way I go.

All the same setups carry over to the V5 and since it comes with most of the parts I upgraded in the box, achieving the same setup will be a breeze and I already have the one thing it doesn't include, which are the 21 blocks, and I can buy the Exotek rear hubs (the only parts I'm disappointed Durango did not upgrade to aluminum). ;-)
Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for you guys who have DEX410s prior to the V5, in your opinion, do you feel there are enough changes in the platform to start there, or, pickup a used V4 instead? Debating this as I wouldn't mind another vehicle, and I always loved 1/10 4wd buggy, but trying to see how much worth is there price-wise to the changes for me who will probably run it sparingly. But when I do run it, its a blast lol.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
Man oh man, I just clicked the link to check it out and seeing the pics makes me want to buy myself another 410. LOL

My son has inherited my 410 and it's STILL beast so I get to drive it and of course I work on it, so it's not like I'm out of touch with it, but I do miss driving it on the regular. Now the slipper is out for the SB401 so I am inclined to try it out with that instead of the center diff to see how much it's been missing in the way of tuning and performance, but if it doesn't do the trick, I may yet pull the trigger on a K2 to fulfill my childhood dream of finally owning a Schumacher Wheeler. If that doesn't match the performance of the 410, then a v5 will be the way I go.

All the same setups carry over to the V5 and since it comes with most of the parts I upgraded in the box, achieving the same setup will be a breeze and I already have the one thing it doesn't include, which are the 21 blocks, and I can buy the Exotek rear hubs (the only parts I'm disappointed Durango did not upgrade to aluminum). ;-)
Took me a long time to think about switching away from this platform. Drove it for 4+ years. Best thing is I sold it to a guy a race with so only matter of time before I get spanked with my own (old) car lol. v4 is so good.

Originally Posted by Cain
for you guys who have DEX410s prior to the V5, in your opinion, do you feel there are enough changes in the platform to start there, or, pickup a used V4 instead? Debating this as I wouldn't mind another vehicle, and I always loved 1/10 4wd buggy, but trying to see how much worth is there price-wise to the changes for me who will probably run it sparingly. But when I do run it, its a blast lol.
Haven't seen a v5 in the person but I liked how nimble and aggressive the v4 (and previous versions) were.

My gut feeling is the v5 maybe a little lazy compared to the v4, but that may translate into stability on dirt (v4 probably would dominate on carpet/astro).
Comparing how Travis (v5) and JP (v5) ran in Ohio then seem pretty comparative pace-wise, but now JP has a v5 I wonder how he feels about it compared the v4 he drove briefly.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I have no doubt that the v5's rear end geometry has added rear traction and its easier to drive as Chris Doughty mentioned in another thread.

But JP Richards running a v4 2 months ago and dominating with it kind of shows that even though the 410 has been around since 2009 (serpent S500) the design by Gerd was really spot on and well ahead of its time.

I would really like to go to a V5 but its hard to justify the cash when the v4 works so well, I have only really had go's of other car's at our track 413 b44 22-4 etc and the 410 has so much steering sometimes I run expo even with 21deg hubs.

Also no square pack in the v5 sealed the deal for me, maybe next year I will grab a v5 when the Aus dollar is maybe better.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Although it blows that the V5 won't accept a brick pack, the reasoning behind it is quite justifiable in that it allows the drive train to sit lower, therefor lowering the COG a wee bit more. Having said that, where they got it wrong was in ditching the slipper for the Fad-tastic center gear diff because, if you've driven both types of systems, you'd know the gear diff is simply NOT tunable as so many preach. It is adjustable in how the viscosity in it will allow power to transfer from the front to the rear, but in the end, it's ALWAYS instant power application at all times and is considerably more unforgiving than a slipper. The V5 however has a slipper but not sure how it does with a gear diff.

What makes this change even more mind boggling to me is that before the car was finalized and released, all those other kits that pushed for the center gear diff due to its rumored superiority, were all in the final stages of developing and refining, of all things… Slippers!

My current wheeler has a damn Center Gear diff and I am about to buy the slipper to see how much more performance is still in this thing before I decide if I am to stick with it or try something else. Slippers are essential when conditions are as they were for me here just 2 weeks ago where it was like running on wet ice. On certain sections of track, any application of throttle would have you spin no matter how subtle. It was not fun and my son passed me for the first time. Had I been able to adjust slip as I did on his 410, I'd have been able to run much better.

Since the V5 doesn't have a stand alone slipper as of yet, I am in no rush to run out and buy one, although it is the most impressive looking ORIGINAL wheeler out at the moment, along with the K2. I will wait to hear how it compares to the V4 before making my decision.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Toby and Rob for the input. I did put a call in with TD and they had to order the parts in so they can measure them and see where the mistake is. I do suspect they'll help me out but it is a very dated kit. I also own an Arrma (same company) Senton and their tech support/warranty is top notch!

I do think a 70mm shaft will just do the trick but 2mm more still doesn't seem 100% correct. I'm dieing to get this thing on the track. LOL
Old 02-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The v5 to me has so much more potential. It might take a little while for people to get comfortable with it since we are starting from the ground up on setups. The v4 has been around as someone has mentioned since 2009, so setups for the car are plentiful.

Since I have had the opportunity to run both the v4 and v5, I can say that they are both fantastic cars. The v5 however has a much more planted feel going around the track and that is due to its redesigned rear end. As soon as we can get the car on more different tracks and get more time with it, the v5 will be just as unstoppable on the track as the v4 was. I feel as of right now the v5 is just as good if not better than the v4 and we have only had the car for a month, so we have just scratched the surface I feel with its potential.

The winning heritage of the car has already started and showing its potential this past weekend in St. Louis for the JC Winter Nats at Smac Trac.

If you guys have any questions, please hit me up on FB as I don't get on here very often.

JP
Old 02-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

JP is your setup posted anywhere? Just wondering if you run saddles or a shorty really.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.