Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread >

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My v3 was quite chattery from the moment I got it (bought it used from someone who barely ran it) so I tore it down and inspected everything three times over and then re-assembled the whole thing following the manual and using my Dow33 lube on the CVD's for ultimate assurance in the reduction of chatter and friction, but it never changed. I looked at everything in the car and it was always just loud. Then one day the sound became much more pronounced and I was finally able to diagnose the root cause… A loose enbell on my VST Pro. Swapped it out to a Reedy and instantly the car was as quiet as my fellow racers' 44.2's. I now find it to be really quiet and ultra-smooth. I had a crap NOVAK motor in my T4 (I have NEVER had any success with anything from Novak) and it was weird in that on power it was pretty quiet, but off power and under braking it was really ratchety and choppy and at really low speeds you could actually see a lurch-like motion in the truck. As with every Novak product I've ever owned, it burnt out rather promptly, so I swapped it for an LRP X12 and the truck was immediately quiet and very smooth.

I say to anyone who finds their vehicle a bit loud and chattery to check their motor to ensure it's not the root cause. It would have saved me tons of time and aggravation if I'd looked there early on.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smokem Racing
Hey guys. Just letting you know we are taking 15% off various option parts for the DEX410v4, for this weekend only. Check them out here - http://shop.smokem-racing.com/DURANGO-Parts_c_16.html

Thanks for your time!
Is that same tower for Desc and Dex?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jreeves
Maybe post some close up pics so we can see if something looks misaligned?

Seems doubtful that a bearing would be shot so soon.

Have you pulled out the diffs and checked the drives for binding?
There is no binding anywhere when we run the cars in a straight line. It is only when turning that it goes apeshit in the front end. Bearings seem perfectly fine. Have rebuilt them making double sure that the set screw is in the recess in the pin and it is. I don't know what else to try.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
There is no binding anywhere when we run the cars in a straight line. It is only when turning that it goes apeshit in the front end. Bearings seem perfectly fine. Have rebuilt them making double sure that the set screw is in the recess in the pin and it is. I don't know what else to try.
I do notice a bit of squatting of the rear diff under load. It squats and deforms the plastic brace the diff sits in. Added more shims to the slipper assembly so that it is smooth but doesn't move at all. No help. Its something in the front end that is screwing it all up. I have rebuilt the CVD's now 5 times. No change. Ordered the U-Joints and aluminum rear diff brace. Hope that helps a little. I also noticed on the one side that has the most chatter (left now), the diff is angling up under load. Maybe I need to reshim both diffs? Should it be like the Xray I had and have zero play at all? Will rebuild both again as per instructions on the Durango web site. Dont want to scrap the car just because of this.
Attached Thumbnails Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-004.jpg   Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-005.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
My v3 was quite chattery from the moment I got it (bought it used from someone who barely ran it) so I tore it down and inspected everything three times over and then re-assembled the whole thing following the manual and using my Dow33 lube on the CVD's for ultimate assurance in the reduction of chatter and friction, but it never changed. I looked at everything in the car and it was always just loud. Then one day the sound became much more pronounced and I was finally able to diagnose the root cause… A loose enbell on my VST Pro. Swapped it out to a Reedy and instantly the car was as quiet as my fellow racers' 44.2's. I now find it to be really quiet and ultra-smooth. I had a crap NOVAK motor in my T4 (I have NEVER had any success with anything from Novak) and it was weird in that on power it was pretty quiet, but off power and under braking it was really ratchety and choppy and at really low speeds you could actually see a lurch-like motion in the truck. As with every Novak product I've ever owned, it burnt out rather promptly, so I swapped it for an LRP X12 and the truck was immediately quiet and very smooth.

I say to anyone who finds their vehicle a bit loud and chattery to check their motor to ensure it's not the root cause. It would have saved me tons of time and aggravation if I'd looked there early on.
Tried changing motors from the trackpower to a Sonic 17.5 just to see if maybe there was something iffy in the trakpower. No change.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

Do they still make the aluminum shock towers? I found the part numbers but they don't exist on ebay or towerhobbies.

Is there any CF towers that are tougher than the stock ones?
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcopeland65
I do notice a bit of squatting of the rear diff under load. It squats and deforms the plastic brace the diff sits in. Added more shims to the slipper assembly so that it is smooth but doesn't move at all. No help. Its something in the front end that is screwing it all up. I have rebuilt the CVD's now 5 times. No change. Ordered the U-Joints and aluminum rear diff brace. Hope that helps a little. I also noticed on the one side that has the most chatter (left now), the diff is angling up under load. Maybe I need to reshim both diffs? Should it be like the Xray I had and have zero play at all? Will rebuild both again as per instructions on the Durango web site. Dont want to scrap the car just because of this.
I'm mystified as to how your diffs are shifting, they're twisting the diff hoops? If the whole diff assembly is spinning freely there shouldn't be so much torque on the case?

Last edited by jreeves; 07-14-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcopeland65
Not sure but it looks like you have to much front droop by looking at your axle. The rub Mark is coming from the caster block at full droop. Are you sure that the front axle is not bent to cause this vibration/chatter. Hold the car in the air, front facing you. Give light throttle and see if your axles are running true. Do this at full droop and hold the front arms up and try again. Look at everything while it's spinning. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jreeves
I'm mystified as to how your diffs are shifting, they're twisting the diff hoops? If the whole diff assembly is spinning freely there shouldn't be so much torque on the case?
Weird thing is it's only happening when it's turning. When pointed straight, none of this happens.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT
Not sure but it looks like you have to much front droop by looking at your axle. The rub Mark is coming from the caster block at full droop. Are you sure that the front axle is not bent to cause this vibration/chatter. Hold the car in the air, front facing you. Give light throttle and see if your axles are running true. Do this at full droop and hold the front arms up and try again. Look at everything while it's spinning. Good luck!
At low speed with everything pointed ahead the shafts and axles appear to be perfectly straight. Adding 4mm of internal limiting did nothing. Still jarring in the front end when turning. Limited throw both directions did nothing. Could warped diff cases cause this? I noticed the bearings are clearly not centered in the case.

Last edited by jpcopeland1; 07-14-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Absolutely!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Its just cvd chatter by the sounds of it, every brand car ive ever owned does it, unloaded wheels or dry joints do it worse, but even doing everything perfect it will still do it at full lock on the inside wheel.
To see if yours if excessively worse than mine or other peoples chatter , then upload a video of doing it unloaded and car in your hand etc. maybe just go half throttle tho
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LOSI123
Its just cvd chatter by the sounds of it, every brand car ive ever owned does it, unloaded wheels or dry joints do it worse, but even doing everything perfect it will still do it at full lock on the inside wheel.
To see if yours if excessively worse than mine or other peoples chatter , then upload a video of doing it unloaded and car in your hand etc. maybe just go half throttle tho
Will take one and upload it yo YouTube. In the meantime I called Hobbico and talked to someone who runs for Durango and just by him hearing it over the phone he thinks the out drives may be warped or the gearbox is not right and is sending me new ones. We shall see what happens.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I thought I'd share something... interesting... I'm working on. I plan on making this on the CNC router I'm currently building. I thought I'd give 3d modeling a go while I wait for the CNC parts to show up. Enjoy

Old 07-15-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I thought I'd share something... interesting... I'm working on. I plan on making this on the CNC router I'm currently building. I thought I'd give 3d modeling a go while I wait for the CNC parts to show up. Enjoy

Why?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.