Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread >

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

That is so cool you raced against Rick Mears. I watched his career closely and was a big fan. Had no idea he was into RC.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLRrunner
Hey guys, I have been out of town for a bit but I'm back now and I just saw this. I have the v5 designed by Bman and I absolutely love it!! The car was fast before but now its glued to the track! I took it with me while I was away and got a chance to race against retired Indy car driver Rick Mears! I was only on the track for about 4 practice packs and I started putting down close to track record fast laps. I too have used the stock slipper and the 2 way, the center diff give an added amount of control that I didn't have before.
I met Rick at Bashers several months ago and he is now the 2nd of my Indy/ChampCar heroes I've met and we spoke at length about the series, his career and Roger Penske and his role on the tea til this day. Just a wonderful human being and one hell of a driver.

FYI, the reason he's so good at off-road RC racing is that he began his racing career in tiny off-road buggies with his brother and then when he made it big he almost always had a top notch RC car of some sort.

Here's a pic my son and I took with him a couple months before my surgery that made some of my F1 buddies jealous! Lol

Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitro-rob
That is so cool you raced against Rick Mears. I watched his career closely and was a big fan. Had no idea he was into RC.
If you look on youtube you might find a documentary on Rick Mears done by ESPN (I think) that does a decent job of covering his life and career, and his only brain fart in a car that almost cost him his career.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
I met Rick at Bashers several months ago and he is now the 2nd of my Indy/ChampCar heroes I've met and we spoke at length about the series, his career and Roger Penske and his role on the tea til this day. Just a wonderful human being and one hell of a driver.

FYI, the reason he's so good at off-road RC racing is that he began his racing career in tiny off-road buggies with his brother and then when he made it big he almost always had a top notch RC car of some sort.

Here's a pic my son and I took with him a couple months before my surgery that made some of my F1 buddies jealous! Lol

Same place I was when I met him. I'm mad I didn't get a picture with him, I did get his autograph though. Btw Bashers has either closed or maybe moved since I was there.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLRrunner
Same place I was when I met him. I'm mad I didn't get a picture with him, I did get his autograph though. Btw Bashers has either closed or maybe moved since I was there.
if you're referring to the bashers in palm beach gardens florida, they closed at the end of march
Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The difference is that the whole unit still slips, whereas in the DESC I can run the slipper tight or loose and still control bias via fluid weights, with the 2-way I can't. The bias needs to be controlled via the pads, and overall slippage via slipper tension.[/QUOTE]

Good job on the explanation Dino. I'm curious about this last part. It almost sounds like you prefer the DESC set up? Are you using a dual slipper in your dex?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
back to the wiring and component question someone had earlier….here's my Spektrum, Speed Passion setup. Taking your time and doing it right makes the car so easy to work on. You can take out the entire ESC/Motor setup with a few screws. Running the wires was a bit time consuming I'll say! Especially since I upgraded to 10AWG and I blame incubus for having to do it over :P Just kidding!

Is anyone using an aftermarket CF radio plate? I'm not sure how I feel about it being flimsy…my ESC bounces a little. I thought it would stiffen up after mounting my components….
Looks good! I never thought of standing the rx on its side. Definitely a space saver.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Doesn't anyone pay close attention to my setup?!??? Lol
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 PM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by these_savages
i need to get those alu rear gearbox inserts, as those plastics are breaking just lookin at them.

should i go for team durangos? http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...ox-Insert-Left

or are there any better ones out there?
They are a solid upgrade if you have issues with the plastic ones, note that there is a left TD310006 and right TD310007 side.
Other options are TDs weight version TD220002 and the Tresrey ones.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

The last couple pages about the center diff has sparked my imagination. After some planning, a beer, and an hour or two with my drill and dremel, I've got stage one nearly complete.

Stage one is simply to change the battery placement. I noticed doing this got me some more rear weight bias with my scales, which alone could be enough to settle the back end down. I need to find a way to re-stiffen up the chassis, as it flexes like a noodle with half of the sidepods cuts off. I've got some garolite sitting around I can use for that, plus the battery hold-downs.

Stage two will be the center diff. I think there's certainly enough room to stuff one into the standard chassis. This step is a bit farther off in the future.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
The last couple pages about the center diff has sparked my imagination. After some planning, a beer, and an hour or two with my drill and dremel, I've got stage one nearly complete.

Stage one is simply to change the battery placement. I noticed doing this got me some more rear weight bias with my scales, which alone could be enough to settle the back end down. I need to find a way to re-stiffen up the chassis, as it flexes like a noodle with half of the sidepods cuts off. I've got some garolite sitting around I can use for that, plus the battery hold-downs.

Stage two will be the center diff. I think there's certainly enough room to stuff one into the standard chassis. This step is a bit farther off in the future.

Let me help you out.....or save you the trouble.
Attached Thumbnails Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-image.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thephunnel
The difference is that the whole unit still slips, whereas in the DESC I can run the slipper tight or loose and still control bias via fluid weights, with the 2-way I can't. The bias needs to be controlled via the pads, and overall slippage via slipper tension.
Good job on the explanation Dino. I'm curious about this last part. It almost sounds like you prefer the DESC set up? Are you using a dual slipper in your dex?
The DESC410 offers one adjustment for front / rear bias via diff oil, and pads for slip. You can set them independently from each other. Its a great feature to have. In a perfect world, having it in your DEX would be great.
Currently the DEX platform isn't big enough to fit the DESC diff. Space is already tight as it is. The 2-way was a compromise of weight savings and space. You can get the 2 way to work "like" a center diff with a slipper.
Because you are not using fluids to tune the bias, you need several different pads to change the bias around based on grip level. The stock pads or AE B4 pads are good for most med grip tracks. The power is 50/50. Drilling holes to reduce friction, or change the pad material to one that has more friction will change your bias. Changing material is a big change, whereas drilling holes is less of a change.

Is it an improvement of the standard v3 slipper, I would say "YES." Definitely. It will make your car easier to control coming out of corners, its gets less unsettled over bumps and jumps (if the slipper isn't set too tight).

Yes I am using the 2-way dual slipper on both my DEXs.

Last edited by Dino_D; 04-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT
Let me help you out.....or save you the trouble.
I appreciate the offer, but half the fun will be doing it myself! I'm a tinkerer. If I wanted to just buy something, I'd sell the dex and get a hot bodies. Where's the satisfaction in that.

If you want to help me out, I wouldn't mind detailed measurements comparing the slipper and the center diff. I don't have access to a diff to plan this out.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Another piece of the puzzle is complete tonight! I free-handed a new wider u-brace thing with the dremel. It now fits nicely around the new battery layout. I'm not sure how I'm going to join the old sidepods, new brace, and chassis together just yet, but I have some ideas. I won't be able to work on it again until Sunday.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

If your track uses aka clay typos what are you guys using for hexes to run them and is the correct offset maintained?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.