Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread >

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Guys quick question on Ackerman positions. Right now I'm in the middle hole. What would change if I moved it in either direction? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT
Guys quick question on Ackerman positions. Right now I'm in the middle hole. What would change if I moved it in either direction? Thanks!
Moving towards the front of the normally smooths the steering response, better for high speed and flowing tracks.

Moving it back normally makes steering more aggressive and faster. More for a technical track.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dino_D
Moving towards the front of the normally smooths the steering response, better for high speed and flowing tracks.

Moving it back normally makes steering more aggressive and faster. More for a technical track.
Thanks for the answer but what exactly does moving it back do? More overall steering, more mid out? Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the answer but what exactly does moving it back do? More overall steering, more mid out? Thanks again!
Okay. The technical answer then. Ackerman is the difference in the steering arcs of the front and inside tire, and the difference between the 2 arcs is the slip angle. Moving it to the back, basically gives you a greater slip angle between the 2 tires (so in a sense more toe out in the inner wheel vs the outer wheel) which will make your care have more initial steering on corner entry and quicker response.

What are you looking for in your car? More initial steering, mid corner, or on-power exit steering?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JoshC90
Im running a thunder power 5.5 in my 410, ive got a 18t pinion on the stock 87t spur. Im seeing temps of 160ish after a 8min main. I cant seem to find any bigger spurs and a 17t pinion dosnt mesh with the spur close enough. Any ideas?

Im running the 5.5 because we have a HUGE covered track with lots of high speed areas, and im still getting ran down by the belt wheelers running 6.5s. Slightly annoying lol Im running a novak havoc pro esc btw
I tried 2 motor-pinion versions - Speed Passion 5.5T + 18 pinion and Speed passion 8.5T + 21 pinion.
The first 5.5T + 18 is OK for winter indoor conditions, but is very hot at summer. The 8.5T + 21 is OK all-season but has less acceleration. So maybe for the next summer will buy one 7.5T motor for the long tracks. For short tracks 8.5T wokrs OK.
I suppose 5.5T will be always very hot due to the high power it has.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dino_D
Okay. The technical answer then. Ackerman is the difference in the steering arcs of the front and inside tire, and the difference between the 2 arcs is the slip angle. Moving it to the back, basically gives you a greater slip angle between the 2 tires (so in a sense more toe out in the inner wheel vs the outer wheel) which will make your care have more initial steering on corner entry and quicker response.

What are you looking for in your car? More initial steering, mid corner, or on-power exit steering?

It really was not a question of what I am looking for (but it is), as it was a question of what the adjustment does. I play with all other adjustments and never used Ackerman. I want more turn in as I use 21 castor blocks now. I already dropped the front diff oil and front camber link, but don't want play with the rear to much as I like the way it feels. I guess I could always try the 19's or raise the rear link. Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Who runs or tried running the same wt. oil in the front and rear diffs? What did you notice and are you still running it? Thanks...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Who runs or tried running the same wt. oil in the front and rear diffs? What did you notice and are you still running it? Thanks...
I tried 12k fr/rr, the car would over rotate on exit.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It really was not a question of what I am looking for (but it is), as it was a question of what the adjustment does. I play with all other adjustments and never used Ackerman. I want more turn in as I use 21 castor blocks now. I already dropped the front diff oil and front camber link, but don't want play with the rear to much as I like the way it feels. I guess I could always try the 19's or raise the rear link. Thanks again!
Do you need more turn in for on or off power?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmackani
Do you need more turn in for on or off power?
Off power, but the car is good. I also dropped the rear sway from 1.5 to 1.3. Just looking to gain some of the lost steering due to the 21* blocks. The car is definitely smoother with them.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Off power, but the car is good. I also dropped the rear sway from 1.5 to 1.3. Just looking to gain some of the lost steering due to the 21* blocks. The car is definitely smoother with them.
Quickest thing to try is moving the ackerman back. Are you saucing tires at all? Dropping the front diff fluid seemed to help mine with off power also. I am stuck at a point of 5 or 7 in the front and I am going to try saucing my front tires which I normally do not do to see if I can tweak what I need just through that. Dropping that rear swaybar will cause the rear to hook more and also take away some of that steering.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Are you running a front sway bar? I would think going from 1.5 to 1.3 in the rear would be a step in the other direction, no?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmackani
Quickest thing to try is moving the ackerman back. Are you saucing tires at all? Dropping the front diff fluid seemed to help mine with off power also. I am stuck at a point of 5 or 7 in the front and I am going to try saucing my front tires which I normally do not do to see if I can tweak what I need just through that. Dropping that rear swaybar will cause the rear to hook more and also take away some of that steering.
Originally Posted by flame56mx
Are you running a front sway bar? I would think going from 1.5 to 1.3 in the rear would be a step in the other direction, no?
Diff oil I went from 7-5 down to 5-3 and it made a difference. No front sway. I will try the lighter sway and go back if anything. I thought that maybe it would help the rear roll. easy enough to reverse. Like mentioned, in all I like the 21's better but would like to regain some turn in. I sauce my tires. I race at two local tracks and one being larger is fine the other being tighter (of course) is a tad worse. Really not a big deal just probing for ideas. I will try the rear ackerman hole and a bit more toe out next time at the track. Thanks guys.....
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Diff oil I went from 7-5 down to 5-3 and it made a difference. No front sway. I will try the lighter sway and go back if anything. I thought that maybe it would help the rear roll. easy enough to reverse. Like mentioned, in all I like the 21's better but would like to regain some turn in. I sauce my tires. I race at two local tracks and one being larger is fine the other being tighter (of course) is a tad worse. Really not a big deal just probing for ideas. I will try the rear ackerman hole and a bit more toe out next time at the track. Thanks guys.....
I was having same problems and I end up going back to 17* castor block rather than 21*, I guess the new 19* will be a good compromise.

To get more off power:

lighter diff oils, heavier rear sway bar, more rear droop, more front toe-out
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zzztech
I was having same problems and I end up going back to 17* castor block rather than 21*, I guess the new 19* will be a good compromise.

To get more off power:

lighter diff oils, heavier rear sway bar, more rear droop, more front toe-out
I forgot I did add 2mm rear droop. Now I'm at 98mm on center. What's everyone else running for rear droop? Thanks again...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.