Search

Gearing for xxx4 G+

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Gearing for xxx4 G+

Hello all,
I am currently using the castle creation sidewinder with the 5700kv motorand 2cell lipo or 7cell nimh. The truck uses the stock 92 spur and the motor is using a 13 tooth pinion. After its first run the motor seemed very hot, didn't have temp gauge with me, but I could not leave my hand on the motor. It did not have any smell either. Were should I go with the gearing. What are you guys running. Every thing on the truck runs freely.
Jerry
Old 02-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

well my cousin has a 4300kv motor in his xxx-4 and he runs a 94 spur and 21 pinion and his hauls ass. but i dont know why yours is getting so hot...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Although not always true, a general rule of thumb is:
Hot motor, cool controller, cool batteries = undergeared

Cool motor, hot controller, hot batteries = overgeared
Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Uncle, so does that mean I nead to use a bigger pinion. I am not to keen on some of the terms used around here.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerry Coy
Uncle, so does that mean I nead to use a bigger pinion. I am not to keen on some of the terms used around here.
Yes. You have a pretty fast system there IMO. If you're running a low gear, the motor spins really fast and makes heat. You can go to a bigger pinion but keep an eye on the ESC temps.

BTW, the Mamba motors can actually operate up to 200deg. F.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerry Coy
Hello all,
I am currently using the castle creation sidewinder with the 5700kv motorand 2cell lipo or 7cell nimh. The truck uses the stock 92 spur and the motor is using a 13 tooth pinion. After its first run the motor seemed very hot, didn't have temp gauge with me, but I could not leave my hand on the motor. It did not have any smell either. Were should I go with the gearing. What are you guys running. Every thing on the truck runs freely.
Jerry
I run a Novak 7.5r which is a 5800kv motor... Originally I geared it with a 16t pinion and was on the edge for heat on both the motor and ESC. A 6 min run would have both at 170deg. Speed seemed fast enough. What I discovered with brushless is that as you gear up, the motor really comes alive. With a brushed, lower gearing (pinion) would give you more low end and tops out quickly.. bigger pinions you would loose low end and gain top end speed. With brushless when I geared up to a 19t pinion (stock 92 spur) I gained both low end and top speed! And my motor after a 6min race is barely 100 deg... 20 min on practice and it's less than 150 deg and the ESC is 100 deg...

Brushless motors make power different than brushed. They have to rev up to higher RPMs before they hit their powerband.

Have fun!

Jerome
Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I ran a XXX-4 G+ with a mamba 5700 for a bit and if I remember correctly, I was running a 17 pinon with the stock spur. Temps were never an issue with that gearing.