R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy help with diff... i think

hi all, um i was racing today (off-road) and i went off this really big jump and i landed flat but my car sarted makin a really harsh clicking noise. i went to my little workshop and wen i gun the throttle it makes the sound. ive checked both the slipper glutch and pinion gear but i think it may be the diff although the wheels seem to be working fine with how they go backward and forward simultaneously. it could be one of the tranny gears, but i dunno...
bratonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Johnny_S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratonabike View Post
hi all, um i was racing today (off-road) and i went off this really big jump and i landed flat but my car sarted makin a really harsh clicking noise. i went to my little workshop and wen i gun the throttle it makes the sound. ive checked both the slipper glutch and pinion gear but i think it may be the diff although the wheels seem to be working fine with how they go backward and forward simultaneously. it could be one of the tranny gears, but i dunno...
What car is this for? Do you have brushless? If so both wheels should spin the say direction, since the motor doesn't have enough drag to work the diff. If it's brushed, then you may have stripped a gear, probably an idler or center gear. Only way to be certain is to open it up, not much good we can do for you.
Johnny_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

Since you say that the wheels are still moving (along with the motor implied) I'd guess the gear isn't stripped.

I've had that sudden clicking noise happen a few times over the years and it was either:

Cracked idler gear - hard to diagnose as it only expands under pressure(always Duratrax issue)

Partially stripped center gear (with the diff balls in it) it's pretty obvious when you open the tranny (usually Losi issue)

Dogbone/CVD pin coming loose and catching on the a-arm as it rotates. (easiest problem to check) Affects all brands.