Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Putting Nails in Tires, good idea or bad? >

Putting Nails in Tires, good idea or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Putting Nails in Tires, good idea or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Default Putting Nails in Tires, good idea or bad?

Today i was diggin around and i found two BALD tires, and i thought it would be cool if i put nails in 'em to make 'em like... Dirt tires? Would this be a good idea or bad?
Old 11-05-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

i dont think it would work very well..they probably wouldnt last maybe one run before the tires rip apart
Old 11-06-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

screws through the plastic wheel and into the tire would probably work better

let me know if you try it...always wanted to make ice pick tires for when below freezing temps come our way
Old 11-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

I'm makin some as we speak, but not through the rim, and they're shorter than half a nail, i cut 'em down a bit.... Later I'll post a link to the REAL reason I'm makin 'em...
Old 11-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

I've tried a Million times to put the pic in, I just have no clue how to do it... Sorry

Last edited by LosiFromHell986; 11-10-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

post a picture on this site so I/we dont have to sign up on that forum to see it

thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Hey hopefully soon i'll take some pix for youguys, WOW these things work AWESOME in the Dirt AND in the Grass!!! Definately not in the street though, it slides EVERYWHERE!!! Kinda neat though, they make sparks a stuff if u do doughnuts The one negative is they make your steering radius REALLY wide.... I'll let you know when i think of a fix... Later
Old 11-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

just remember if you lose a nail it WILL end up in someones tire and ruin their morning or night. so count them and look for it if you lose one. not to mention that WOT with a nail flying out is going to have enough speed to cause some serious pain or damage to whatever it hits.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I have seen something like this done before in RC Car action where a guy in canada used wooded screws i believe for ice racing. Looked pretty cool!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by corvettecrazy
just remember if you lose a nail it WILL end up in someones tire and ruin their morning or night. so count them and look for it if you lose one. not to mention that WOT with a nail flying out is going to have enough speed to cause some serious pain or damage to whatever it hits.
I redid them into the rim, they dont work as well, but yeah they're safer
Old 11-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by LosiFromHell986
Hey hopefully soon i'll take some pix for youguys, WOW these things work AWESOME in the Dirt AND in the Grass!!! Definately not in the street though, it slides EVERYWHERE!!! Kinda neat though, they make sparks a stuff if u do doughnuts The one negative is they make your steering radius REALLY wide.... I'll let you know when i think of a fix... Later

mayeb if u use them in the fron too..it should give you more traction at the front end instead of just the back end pushing the the car out
Old 11-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

So you using Screws or nails What size? Seems like a #3 or 4 1/4 or5/16 Glued might work good I have some tires gonna try it on I like the Idea. How many rows what kinna spacing did you predrill the Holes?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Fisher890
So you using Screws or nails What size? Seems like a #3 or 4 1/4 or5/16 Glued might work good I have some tires gonna try it on I like the Idea. How many rows what kinna spacing did you predrill the Holes?
3 rows across, 1/2" spacing both ways. If you're gunna put 'em through the rims, use screws, but ITS NOT EASY... I'd advise you to use nails and stick them through the tire, then put the firmest foams you have in the tires... I used some...ohh....guessing 1.5" nails, and cut 'em down to around 3/4"....im experimenting... it's better at around 1/2", so if you can get 1/2" nails, use those.

NOTE: Im only 14 so if it's mickey mouse, sorry
Old 11-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

My thoughts on it were this....
sm 3 or 4 panhead wood or sheetmetal phillips screws pre drill the tire add some CA Glue. Make the tips stick out 1/4-3/8" offset rows of 2 &3 for the rear. Not loading up the center row too much too avoid TOO much Ballooning.
For the front same screws in 1 circular pattern out in the last 1/3 of the tire for outter steering traction.
I Think the screws will hold better with the larger heads and threads locked with Ca Glue.
The Tires i'm gonna try this on are some Very heavy stiff XTM junk I woreout in 2 days running. I Think the Heavier stiffer Rubber will hold the screws and Not Blow apart like the Lighter stock RC10GT would.
I think by going thru the rubber and Glueing the screws it will allow enough flex without ripping the tire apart as Long as the screws aren't too long. A longer spike will stick better But I think it will also tear the tire apart in the meantime.
Gonna Get the screws tomorrow and Maybe by friday will have some results in my findings. I like the Idea! Keep me Posted on what you see and i'll do the same.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Talked to a guy in my LHS today, he says Nailed Tires are REALLY hard on the Transmission... The Gears wear faster than they should... I took 'em off... I'll still use them though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.