Community
Wiki Posts
Search

batt. weight vs runtime in a 1/8th. racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Default batt. weight vs runtime in a 1/8th. racing

Whats everyones opinion on the largest pack for a 1/8th buggy used for racing?

Our conversions are generally heavier to begin with so at what point does the wieght of the battery start hurting laptimes?

my old ofna conversion was using a 4s 6300mah pack(in a very odd configuration) it was fast but it was obviously heavier than needed and felt heavy in the corners.

my x-ray xb8 has a 4s 4200mah pack in it, it wieghs less and handles better(the ofna was pretty sloppy so thats a factor too). I haven't raced it yet, but I will this summer.

I'm thinking that 4s 4000-4500mah is about the limit for competetive racing.(about 500grams) so for 5s I guess that would be arond 3800mah and 3s would be 5000?

What do you think.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

5000 4s, 4000 5s.

Anymore than that and you are killing the handling by adding a ton of weight IMO.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm thinking that 4s 4000-4500mah is about the limit for competetive racing.(about 500grams) so for 5s I guess that would be arond 3800mah and 3s would be 5000?
Those numbers sound pretty close to me. I think the other factor here is chassis weight. Some cars are much lighter than others and thus can have more battery weight for the same overall weight. I think if cars are going to have higher capacity batteries, they will need to be better balanced to do it well. Putting a Losi 5000 on the left side of a RC8 that hasn't had the drive line moved, isn't going to get the job done very well. On the other hand, an RC8 with the RCM conversion and a 4000-4500 softcase is pretty much perfectly balanced.