R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post
That's exactly the attraction to electric 1/8 for me. I like to race nitro but having a pitman is not always possible. When I do race, most of my friends are in the same class, and if not, they probably are up to marshall. Seeing 9 guys standing behind pit row and 4 on the track to marshall irritates me
+1
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_jay View Post
8am to midnight! wow, I can see why you guys want to keep it to 10 minutes now. After being at a track for 16hours I'd be wanting to get the heck out of there too.
Sounds like a business opportunity to open a new track in that area that focuses on and does 1/2 of the classes better than the original.
Banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity to open a new track in that area that focuses on and does 1/2 of the classes better than the original.
nah its just the most centrally located track in the state, so alot of people run there, plus if anybody thinks they can run a more organized show for that many entries than Dan that owns RCPD,I guess they can step up and try, but after 20 yrs of racing, I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that can handle the whole deal.Dan is just a super guy that tries to be fair to all, so we can all have a good time!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #34
Tech Regular

manufacturer should rethink there design, a motor mount plus a battery tray is a good short term solution but i'm looking for more than a improved Rc-monster conversion. We need something that could use all the ability of an electric propulsion, a design meant for it
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-T View Post
manufacturer should rethink there design, a motor mount plus a battery tray is a good short term solution but i'm looking for more than a improved Rc-monster conversion. We need something that could use all the ability of an electric propulsion, a design meant for it
what makes you think they're not working on this right now? I'm sure they want to see if this class will take off before they invest the time and money to do a full on 1/8 electric kit instead of a conversion.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Having qualifiers and mains with the same duration say 10 minutes would help those with average budgets to settle on a std battery size and remove the advantage one might get by having the $$$ for a whole set of smaller batteries for shorter qualifing races.

If we are to go down the road of long mains maybe make them double the duration of the qualifier and or multiple of the qualifier (2x, 3x....) and mandate a battery swap or a stop'n'go rule every 10 minutes although I think integration if E.P. as a separate class at large Nitro events would be much easier for everyone if no pit person was required.

I vote for 10 minute races all the way. Qualifiers and Mains. With this format of racing the designers would begin to settle on the most ambiguous areas in their designs like - how much room to allow for batteries, battery tray size, weight distribution and driveline offsets for single pack designs.

The conversion kits are a great testing ground but I think manufacturers are still on the fence about releasing true designs that are not based around a nitro conversion, (With the exception of Caster) as I have noticed, the battery pack size seems to have a great impact on the car set-up. E.G. I run 5s 4000 packs but they are really too heavy IMO and the balance of the car is left side bias. I just recently purchased a 5s 3200 battery and the balance now is perfect. With this lighter weight I can follow the setup sheets for nitro more closely as there are no setup sheets for Electric currently. With some fiddling you can get the large battery right but you know when driving the car that the buggy chassis would prefer the lighter option and it would be just about perfect for a 10 minute race.

Last edited by eXraycer; 01-29-2009 at 03:59 PM.
eXraycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Next topic.

OK. We seem to have figured out that when the class takes off it should follow other electric time frames. At my track the B mains are 5 minutes and the A mains are usually 10 minutes. The 1/8 Nitro main is the only main that is 15 to 20 minutes. Since we will eventually have our own class the 20 minute main is not an issue anymore.

Manufactures can still make the 6 cell 3200kv for bashing or having fun, but obviously a serious club racer is not going to go that route.

So with a 10 minute main at most tracks that means a 3000mah to 4000mah battery should do the trick. My next question is 4 cell, 5 cell, 6 cell, or two 7.4v packs? Is efficiency still an issue? Right now most set ups in most areas will work because the temps around the country are lower. But what about when summer hits and we are racing in 95 degree heat. Will the same set up work and be efficient enough?

What about classes like in 1/10th scale, (ie. 19T, mod, etc.) Should we have the same in 1/8th scale?

These are things manufactures should learn from club racers. We are the majority that buys most of this stuff.

More importantly is to think the design through. I never thought about a specific 1/8 scale design. Mounting the ESC and receiver to the chassis like in 1/10 scale. Hmmm. Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Last edited by zipperfoot; 01-29-2009 at 09:10 PM.
zipperfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #38
Tech Elite

We are considering developing a completely different type of electric 1/8 scale racer, but it will be WAY more expensive than the current ones because it will not be anything like the current fusion line. The Caster has been great and I am sure that people will be seeing them all over the tracks for 2009, but I have asked some engineers to look into a few ideas of mine and see if they are feasible. I am sure that if we do it, then everyone will complain the other way that it isn't fair, etc.... so it is a really hard decision to make. But it would be fun to have the most radical electric and the highest priced electric 1/8 scale on the market....
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
We are considering developing a completely different type of electric 1/8 scale racer, but it will be WAY more expensive than the current ones because it will not be anything like the current fusion line. The Caster has been great and I am sure that people will be seeing them all over the tracks for 2009, but I have asked some engineers to look into a few ideas of mine and see if they are feasible. I am sure that if we do it, then everyone will complain the other way that it isn't fair, etc.... so it is a really hard decision to make. But it would be fun to have the most radical electric and the highest priced electric 1/8 scale on the market....
Make it with Adamantium, call it Wolverine and if it can self-repair after crashing then I'll pay you whatever you want.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
Innovative design does exist, the designer is already building it now
More to find here (in french sorry )
http://rcmag.com/modules.php?name=Fo...highlight=p444

A Sealed belt drive + a steering system that make your car turn like a Forklift

Last edited by Mister-T; 01-30-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-T View Post
Innovative design does exist, the designer is already building it now

[

Pretty cool. It looks like a giant version of the Team Magic touring car that has that same drive train layout. The rear steer is interesting. Looks like it is mixable via 2nd servo and a mechanical mixer. No center diff, not that I mind. Balanced right down the middle. Same battery/motor layout as the Losi touring car. It definitely has potential.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #42
Tech Regular

In fact drive train design is close to most 1/8 Nitro On road cars
But the designer said he did take this car as example
http://www.rcmagvintage.com/reviews/...ee/bmt/bmt.htm
Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #43
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I think the big thing I would want to see in the next interation of 1/8 scale electric is more centrally located weight like what that guy is doing.

I do have to say though, for a conversion, the RCM RC8/RC8T conversions do get the weight over nicely.

As for classes configurations, etc. I think 10 minute mains are the way to go right now. I have dumped 4S 5000mah packs in under 15minutes with a Neu 1512 2.5D/F . So I would be inclined to go with with a runtime that is easily made by the majority of battery packs out there, and 10 minutes does it.

RC Pro Series rules look pretty good in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #44
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Mister-T;5363243]Innovative design does exist, the designer is already building it now

The symmetrical layout looks nice I agree. Would love to see that in the flesh or should I say, in the fiber. I bet there's a few extremist rc engineers already building something like that but it is such a departure from normal cars that you'd have to throw out the book and start from scratch to find out what works and what doesn't in terms of handling and car setup because there doesn't appear to be a centre diff so I assume some sort of slipper arrangement to tune front and rear drive bias in stead of ctr diff oil weight adjustment would be required.