R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I am probally opening myself up to get flamed here but oh well.I am all for the 4s approach to power with an open rule on motor.Just like 1/10 mod electric classes.If you want to run more motor then its at the expense of runtime and durability, so its the drivers choice.Also someone pointed out the HOT ROD factor of people posibly running 6s with too large of motor .I have seen this 1st hand.You guys have to keep in mind that not all people are reasonable, and if they get beat on the track their first solution is to throw more motor at it, not work on driving clean.And catching a 10lb buggy in the ribs hurts like hell(ask my 12 yr. old about that!) It also leaves some pretty unique looking bruises.as for race length, Roar currently went to 6 minute quals and mains for 1/10 electric, so to fit a standard race format maybe go with 6 min. quals and 10 minute single mains.Sorry , but compromise is necesarry here.Tripple mains are not necesarry at any level other than regional and higher, just like 1/10 electric. And here is why; How long do you think it will take before the other electric classes want tripple mains like the 1/8 electric guys? How much time do you think that would add to your race program? How tight on time is your current race program as it stands?I know That where we race in the winter time we already have a LONG day(8am til usually midnight and beyond @ washtenaw R/C.Usually have between 150 and 200 entries per race day, KVRC can vouch for it) So if we added tripple mains for the A guys that would add 1.5 hours of race time to our program running 6minute mains not counting time between races and track maintenance breaks. Sounds like a race directors sweaty recurring nightmare to me!!
But really guys compromise is necesarry to make this work for everybody.I have heard guys say they want to keep the 1/8 nitro format, well if that's the case I guess they will keep running with the nitro guys.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

At the NCT(largest series in the NW) we will be using the 10min triple A mains. I think this will be the best way to get folks that are sitting on the fence a little nudge to give it a try. Lighter setups and you do not need a pitman.

I would like to see a lightweight 4s hard case lipo. Something under 15oz. with 4200mah.

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

To answer the first question about the losi, the 8ight-E 2.0 will be introduced at the Nurnburg toyshow on Feb 5th (according to losi's site this morning). More 8ight-E bodies should be at Horizon on the 30th, and if there are widespread problems with the esc's then you can be assured that rocketron is working the problems
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Matt I dig your sig!!!I also am an official member of the guild of calamitous intent!! Mainly because Dr Girlfreind is Hot.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

A brushless system will come up to max temp and stablize unless its overgeared. If properly setup you can run for hours(depending how many batteries you have) without doing any damage to your system or batteries.

many of you know this already. So why wouldn't you want to run longer? we spent $$$$ on equipment, if your racing you probably need more than one battery anyways, why not use it?

I don't know, perhaps its just me, but I enjoy the long races and epic battles that happen in them.( I usually don't like marshalling them as much) I also like having a pit guy, its just part of the racing experience.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

8am to midnight! wow, I can see why you guys want to keep it to 10 minutes now. After being at a track for 16hours I'd be wanting to get the heck out of there too.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_jay View Post
A brushless system will come up to max temp and stablize unless its overgeared. If properly setup you can run for hours(depending how many batteries you have) without doing any damage to your system or batteries.

many of you know this already. So why wouldn't you want to run longer? we spent $$$$ on equipment, if your racing you probably need more than one battery anyways, why not use it?

I don't know, perhaps its just me, but I enjoy the long races and epic battles that happen in them.( I usually don't like marshalling them as much) I also like having a pit guy, its just part of the racing experience.
I like running 15-20 minute mains. They give you enough time to start at the back and work your way up front. However, at the club level, anything longer than 15 minutes seems to turn into a war of attrition as oppose to epic battles of supremacy. People getting lapped 6 and 7 times. Maybe the top 3 drivers are within a lap or two of each other and everyone else is just in the way or eventually breaking. I guess I just don't see the point of longer races.

Ideally I would like 15 minute mains, but it most likely ain't gonna happen with organized electric 1/8 racing. We race 15 & 20 minute A mains locally with the nitros and I am able to get my electric car to run that without a battery swap so I am happy. IMHO battery swaps just adds a level of complexity that simply isn't necessary.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

I would agree with a triple A main
It gets tiring to race 25-30 mins with the winner checking out or if you mess up that run
I suggest one qualifier and triple A mains
If the other electric guys want that let them have it too
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_jay View Post
8am to midnight! wow, I can see why you guys want to keep it to 10 minutes now. After being at a track for 16hours I'd be wanting to get the heck out of there too.
Man thats a normal day. There have been a couple times I havent pulled out of the parking lot until almost 3 am.Also there is a thread on here with vidoes of our 1/8 buggy and truggy electric classes running.I will bump it towards the top for peeps to check out.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
Man thats a normal day. There have been a couple times I havent pulled out of the parking lot until almost 3 am.
My wife give me shit about getting home at 5pm on race day. Good lord... no way I would be racing there. She would probably accuse me going to a strip club instead of an RC race.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
Matt I dig your sig!!!I also am an official member of the guild of calamitous intent!! Mainly because Dr Girlfreind is Hot.
So I'm not the only one with the hots for her? best show on T.V.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Running longer is great. If you can run 30-45 minutes then more power to ya. I just think that having to have a pitguy to swap batteries kind of defeats the purpose of electric this point.

Now at the local club level do whatever you like. The biggest problem we see at the lighter turnouts is not having enough folks to pit and also marshall. Its kind of like musical chairs sometimes finding a pit guy. We often end up with folks pitting two cars or refueling while your cornering. Some of the electric racers who have been converting to nitro dont like that aspect on the club level and have a big interest in converting over to electric for these reasons.

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
So I'm not the only one with the hots for her? best show on T.V.
sad thing is adult swim has the best programming of ANY network!! And it's all cartoons!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdav View Post
Running longer is great. If you can run 30-45 minutes then more power to ya. I just think that having to have a pitguy to swap batteries kind of defeats the purpose of electric this point.

Now at the local club level do whatever you like. The biggest problem we see at the lighter turnouts is not having enough folks to pit and also marshall. Its kind of like musical chairs sometimes finding a pit guy. We often end up with folks pitting two cars or refueling while your cornering. Some of the electric racers who have been converting to nitro dont like that aspect on the club level and have a big interest in converting over to electric for these reasons.
That's exactly the attraction to electric 1/8 for me. I like to race nitro but having a pitman is not always possible. When I do race, most of my friends are in the same class, and if not, they probably are up to marshall. Seeing 9 guys standing behind pit row and 4 on the track to marshall irritates me
Old 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the qualifiers and mains should be what fits into your track program but at this time no more than 10 minutes. tripple a mains are for larger events only.
remember guys we arent the only ones who race, it isnt fair to the guys that only race 5-7 min mains in other classes. how many of you have raced at a track that has nitro and electric on the same day? dosent it suck to have to marshall a 30 minute main?
if you want to run long mains and have a pit guy ect then nitro is avalable.

at washtenaw we only run 5 min qualifiers and mains just like all other classes and on top of that the race day will go from about 10:30 am saturday morning to sometimes 1:30 am sunday morning. and we still get about 15 1/8 buggy enteries every raceday so the short runtimes arent that big of a deal.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote