Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 electric & mechanical brake mixing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 1/8 electric & mechanical brake mixing

I read in a post where someone had mixed their mechanical and electric brakes on their 1/8 buggy, but they just mentioned it, no details.

Anyone try this? What are the pros & cons? I was thinking I'll try to run without mechanical brakes at all. I know you can have bias with mechanical and not with electric, but what would the benefits of mixing them together?

Banter
Old 01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Banter
I read in a post where someone had mixed their mechanical and electric brakes on their 1/8 buggy, but they just mentioned it, no details.

Anyone try this? What are the pros & cons? I was thinking I'll try to run without mechanical brakes at all. I know you can have bias with mechanical and not with electric, but what would the benefits of mixing them together?

Banter
Well, mechanical brakes will likely use less power than the motor to slow the car. That means, in a long main, you could have more run time. It also means your motor won't get as hot doing the braking. If you set up the brakes on just the rear, then mixed in a little motor braking, you could adjust bias by dialing in or out the ESC brakes.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

Most of the time when people refer to mixing the brakes it means they are turning off the brakes in the ESC and using a servo only for the brakes.

Every set up is diffrent, and it should be. Based on track conditions and more importantly, personal prefrence.

I prefer a break servo. Yeah, I said it, I think its better. On a short track you don't need nearly as much front brake. Also, backing off the front brakes gives it a sort of one-way feel that is oh so great in a 1/10th scale 4wd car.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies, I'll try it both ways, or actually 3 ways. Elec only, mech only and a mix of both.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Joaf
Most of the time when people refer to mixing the brakes it means they are turning off the brakes in the ESC and using a servo only for the brakes.

Every set up is diffrent, and it should be. Based on track conditions and more importantly, personal prefrence.

I prefer a break servo. Yeah, I said it, I think its better. On a short track you don't need nearly as much front brake. Also, backing off the front brakes gives it a sort of one-way feel that is oh so great in a 1/10th scale 4wd car.
Praise JEEZUS!!! Somebody else has SEEN THE LIGHT! I thought I was the only person on Earth that understood this!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Praise JEEZUS!!! Somebody else has SEEN THE LIGHT! I thought I was the only person on Earth that understood this!
We've been on board for some time too. All setups are different, that is true, the motor brake setups run hotter and slower
Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by teknorc
We've been on board for some time too. All setups are different, that is true, the motor brake setups run hotter and slower
Oh yeah, I've seen your kits. AWESOME! I like your philosophy!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Its hard to make people understand some times, you know. Don't get me wrong , i love how the industry is based on people that put the "boy" in fan-boy-ism. I mean, i got my friend to buy a tekno conversion with out even seeing mine.
I do prefer it though. I've heard stuff about weight and other things that were quickly put to rest when i ran the car for the first time. In a way, it feels like a light version of my nitro 8ight. I would FOR SURE recomend that you check out the teknoRC conversion when looking where to leap in this fast-growing class.