Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 8ight-E converted to MMM >

Losi 8ight-E converted to MMM

Losi 8ight-E converted to MMM

Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Losi 8ight-E converted to MMM

FYI,

I have been through 3 Xcelorin 1/8th Speed controllers with my build number 243 Limited Edition Losi 8ight-E, 2 of which are currently waiting for Horizon to get more stock.
The default settings have been set on these ESC's but they still fail.
Service from Horizon is great but I live in Australia so the postage is approximately $50AUD every time I send one back to the US.
I don't race this car I only drive in on carpet on practice days so it gets very little hard abuse.
I have decided to give MMM a go so I have added a few pics and I'll keep you guys updated on how the MMM goes.

Cheers

Last edited by Colin8ight-E; 01-30-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Pics Cont

Last edited by Colin8ight-E; 01-30-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

carpet would be "hard abuse" on your speed control. on a dirt track your tires spin which keeps the current flow threw your esc down. carpet is a very high traction surface and would put additional strain on your esc.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I hope you will have better luck with the Mamba Monster esc then I have had. I'am on my 3rd replacement from castle. I've heard the new v3 version is supposed to be the ticket though.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Crazy_jay
carpet would be "hard abuse" on your speed control. on a dirt track your tires spin which keeps the current flow threw your esc down. carpet is a very high traction surface and would put additional strain on your esc.
My friend has the exact 8ight-E but it's build number 242 and he hasn't had to replace one ESC and I set his controller and ESC up.

I don't know how to drive like a racer so I keep the wheel spin and Acceleration down to a minimum, I even turned it down to the lowest setting on the ESC cause I agree it's pretty harsh on the Driveline and ESC (Burst).
Old 01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by davidg86
I hope you will have better luck with the Mamba Monster esc then I have had. I'am on my 3rd replacement from castle. I've heard the new v3 version is supposed to be the ticket though.

Thanks David,

I hope I do to as there's no other optionfor me after this.
Yeah I have heard the V3 has all the bugs worked out.

Cheers
Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crazy_jay
bs.. wheelspin decreases efficiency, increases current flow through the esc and motor.

100% traction would be the most efficient driving surface. You shouldnt have any problems racing on carpet. You need less power to accelerate the same with the traction it provides. you dont get a freewheeling motor, which is bad on the esc.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2
bs.. wheelspin decreases efficiency, increases current flow through the esc and motor.

100% traction would be the most efficient driving surface. You shouldnt have any problems racing on carpet. You need less power to accelerate the same with the traction it provides. you dont get a freewheeling motor, which is bad on the esc.
Dont bite the dudes head off. Think of it this way.

What would burn out your esc faster?

Placing your truck on carpet and holding it in one spot, and hitting the throttle.

or

Placing your truck on dirt and holding it in one spot, and hitting the throttle.

The dirt acts almost like a slipper clutch for your motor, which reduces that initial burst of power you are sending through your esc.