Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New To RC's need advice on setup for T4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New To RC's need advice on setup for T4

I have had my T4 for about a month and broke the front end on this thing at least 6 times. I have a Mamba MAX 5700kv brushless motor and ESC and with my 4000mah lipo battery I can't control it. Does anyone run this setup? Will someone give me some pointers on how I can take some mustard out of this car. I really think that Castle Creations has all the stuff I need to tone it down, just don't know where to start. What class can I run in with this setup?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

well mamba for racing isnt the best. its very crazy. you'd have to run in the modified class with that setup. what type of track do you want to run on?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rather be lucky
I have had my T4 for about a month and broke the front end on this thing at least 6 times. I have a Mamba MAX 5700kv brushless motor and ESC and with my 4000mah lipo battery I can't control it. Does anyone run this setup? Will someone give me some pointers on how I can take some mustard out of this car. I really think that Castle Creations has all the stuff I need to tone it down, just don't know where to start. What class can I run in with this setup?
I am running the same ESC/motor on my T4. First off, dial back your throttle endpoint, way back if you can't control it right now. Also make sure you have the punch control turned off on the ESC. Just turning the throttle endpoint will make it much controllable. 2WD truck class is a tough class, it takes a lot of throttle control to keep the truck going the right way. Make sure you dial in the suspension and adjust your slipper properly too, that will take some of the traction losing wheel spin away. Other than adjusting the throttle endpoint the only other thing you can do is be gentle on the trigger, if you punch it you will lose control.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

check your slipper settings and loosen it a little. loosening your slipper will help the power come on a little smoother. make sure to check with other guys at your track and see what tires and foams they are running.. having the right setup will help you out a lot with control and consistencey
Old 01-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This is what I run at an indoor track in my area. hard pack clay that grooves up.
AE FT T4 2wd Factory Tracks Setup
Front Blue springs 30-35wt #2 piston .120 shock limiters
camber link (1a) inside on the tower and hub
shocks middle on the tower and inside on the arm
Rear Green springs 25-30wt #1 piston .090 shock limiters
camber link (1c) inside on the tower outside on the hub
shocks middle on tower and inside on the arm
plastic truck(chassis, arms, shock towers) –1 deg camber front & rear
30caster block, battery middle.
31/30 ride height.

I run 35front and 30 rear on smooth tracks or warmer days
I run 30 front and 25 rear on rougher tracks or on cold days.
This is for winter right now it is below freezing in my area but the track is about 40 deg

For setting you slipper here is what you need to do
get you car set up ready to race
grab both rear tires with your transmitter in your hand
and give your truck throttle. your truck shoud not flip over!!
It should pull the wheels off the ground but not flip over.
ONLY do this for a second to see where the slipper is set at.
IF you hold the throttle with the slipper spinning like crazy you will prematurly wear out the slipper pads or damage the slipper.

If you have access to the castle creations software you can asjust the ESC's parameters.
I would use these settings
start power low
timing low
braking 25%
punch control is a good one to play with on some mamba systems to low of punch will cause extra cogging or studdering at take off especially if you are over geared.

I don't kow the motor that well but I would think for racing you would want something between 18-23 for the pinnion and the stock 87T spur

good luck
and in 2wd tires are everything
Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would definitely look into lowering your timing setting to low or lowest (if you get cogging bump up the timing to low).

Next, I would pay around with punch control. A fast vehicle with a smooth takeoff is easier to control than one that can pull a dead start wheelie, especially in 2wd dirt racing. Don't be afraid to have that control turned up quite a bit either.

Right now I have mine set to about 50% since the track I used it at is very slick.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default rc10 T4 setup

Thanks for the advice everyone, the punch control made a huge differnce and slipper clutch and meatier tires seem to do the trick for this NEWBY: I would love to go and watch a race first before I go out on the track and ruin my car or somebody else's. Anyone know where the closest track is to 84774? What is the most rewarding race class to run in? And are all dirt tracks 6's? I almost bought a Rustler VXL, so glad I didn't, the T4 is easier to work on and weighted more even. One more ? Can I put in a 27T motor with my Mamba Max ESC and run stock?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rather be lucky
Thanks for the advice everyone, the punch control made a huge differnce and slipper clutch and meatier tires seem to do the trick for this NEWBY: I would love to go and watch a race first before I go out on the track and ruin my car or somebody else's. Anyone know where the closest track is to 84774? What is the most rewarding race class to run in? And are all dirt tracks 6's? I almost bought a Rustler VXL, so glad I didn't, the T4 is easier to work on and weighted more even. One more ? Can I put in a 27T motor with my Mamba Max ESC and run stock?
If you're new (or even experienced), the most rewarding class going these days has got to be the Slash Spec class, especially on a smaller 1/10 track. If you're local track has this class I highly encourage you to check it out. 2WD truck is a fun class, driving a T4 in a controlled fashion at speed takes a lot of finesse, but if you can master it you'll have no problems with the other classes.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum-6/
Racing forum

http://www.rctech.net/forum/track-locator-forum-37/
Track locator forum

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=224448

http://www.utahrc.com/

just a quick search found this........
hope that helps
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

You really should ditch that sensorless mamba max and go with a sensored system like the Tekin RS, Novak GTB, or the LRP. The mamba max just isn't cut out for racing. You will notice an immediate improvement going to a sensored system. I have owned two Mamba Max systems, and after spending a lot of time and money trying to get the thing to run as smooth as a sensored system, it just never happened. Go ahead and try out the Mamba though, but if you are serious about racing, you will eventually get rid of the Mamba Max.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thats funny. When i tried the GTB, was not impressed with how smooth it was compared to my experiences with the Mamba Max setups I have had.