R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Looking to jump to Lipo

Hey I am looking to jump up to Lipo batterys, but I have no idea what to start off with. What would you guys recommend for a decent but not so expensive lipo battery, and a charger for them? Thanks
slash187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Tech Adept

smc 4000 lipo and duratrax ice charger

Team Associated/ Seidel Racing/ Team Scream Racing/ Nike 6.0/ RC Madness
b4.1 novak gtb/ velociti 6.5r
b44.1 lrp sxx tc spec v2/ velociti 5.5r
TNS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

core 5000, core charger,
Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You're going to 100 different answers to this question.

What are you looking to use a LiPo for? What type of vehicle, what motor package, racing or bashing, what kind of run time do you need?

LiPo can range anywhere from $35-135 depending on the answer to the questions above.

The Duratrax Ice is a good all around charger for the money. The Hyperion chargers are also a good choice. If you are going to stay with a 5000mah LiPo or smaller, that really opens up the options for chargers that max out a 5 amps (1C charge rate for a 5000mah pack)

So I would say answer the first list of questions in order to get the most accurate recommendations.

Check out Ultraline Hobbies. They have a good selection of packs from Yeah Racing, Core, and ThunderPower. I don't have a link, but the SMC packs are also a good safe bet.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

orion 3800 30c battery. an extremely great pack that has tons of power. defiantly recommended for any racer, or bashers.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

gndprx makes some very good points. More info please.

But in general I would strongly recommend a balancing charger, no reason not to if buying new for lipo, it is a much safer long term way to go. The Duratrax ICE mentioned earlier does not have a balancer.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Good point on the balancer. If you go ICE or similar non-balance charger, budget about $30 for a good add-on balancer.

Or just go right to a balance charger.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gndprx View Post
You're going to 100 different answers to this question.

What are you looking to use a LiPo for? What type of vehicle, what motor package, racing or bashing, what kind of run time do you need?

LiPo can range anywhere from $35-135 depending on the answer to the questions above.

The Duratrax Ice is a good all around charger for the money. The Hyperion chargers are also a good choice. If you are going to stay with a 5000mah LiPo or smaller, that really opens up the options for chargers that max out a 5 amps (1C charge rate for a 5000mah pack)

So I would say answer the first list of questions in order to get the most accurate recommendations.

Check out Ultraline Hobbies. They have a good selection of packs from Yeah Racing, Core, and ThunderPower. I don't have a link, but the SMC packs are also a good safe bet.
Ive got a slash, and its mainly gonna be for bashing until I feel I am ready for racing, its all stock, just looking to get more run time than my 2400mAh 7.2v Ni-MH battery which is approx. maybe 10 minutes dont quote me though ive never timed it. I'm still fairly new to the hobby and don't know much about lipos. So I have no clue what I am to look for.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash187 View Post
Ive got a slash, and its mainly gonna be for bashing until I feel I am ready for racing, its all stock, just looking to get more run time than my 2400mAh 7.2v Ni-MH battery which is approx. maybe 10 minutes dont quote me though ive never timed it. I'm still fairly new to the hobby and don't know much about lipos. So I have no clue what I am to look for.
Well with the stock slash you have to be careful because there is no low voltage cutoff on the stock esc. All you have to be aware of is how long you are running for and as soon as you start to notice the slightest decrease in performance pull the car off that track immediately. Failure to do so could result in a damaged battery. The Orion Li-Po's are pretty good packs. Plus Kokam (the cell that Orion Uses) basically built an idiot proof pack in that there are so many safety contents of the actual cells, which prevent them from blowing up, making these great packs for people who are still a little shaky on Li-Po technology. And Orion packs really don't need to be balanced because they are such high quality cells that they really don't get out of balance with the voltages in the cell. And the best part is that you are really only going to need one battery per vehicle which makes battery management so much easier. Here is a link to a couple of their packs:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVSS5&P=7

The one above will provide you with the most run-time. You will probably get tired of driving before the battery starts to die. Not to mention it already comes with the Traxxas connector so you can just plug it in and go (after you charge it of course). Here's another:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVSS3&P=7

This one does not offer the same run-time but will give you a little bit more power (you probably won't even notice it over the other Orion pack because of all the tire spinning in off-road). Plus it is cheaper and also comes with the Traxxas plug. Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.
LIVipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVipers View Post
Well with the stock slash you have to be careful because there is no low voltage cutoff on the stock esc. All you have to be aware of is how long you are running for and as soon as you start to notice the slightest decrease in performance pull the car off that track immediately. Failure to do so could result in a damaged battery. The Orion Li-Po's are pretty good packs. Plus Kokam (the cell that Orion Uses) basically built an idiot proof pack in that there are so many safety contents of the actual cells, which prevent them from blowing up, making these great packs for people who are still a little shaky on Li-Po technology. And Orion packs really don't need to be balanced because they are such high quality cells that they really don't get out of balance with the voltages in the cell. And the best part is that you are really only going to need one battery per vehicle which makes battery management so much easier. Here is a link to a couple of their packs:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVSS5&P=7

The one above will provide you with the most run-time. You will probably get tired of driving before the battery starts to die. Not to mention it already comes with the Traxxas connector so you can just plug it in and go (after you charge it of course). Here's another:

This one does not offer the same run-time but will give you a little bit more power (you probably won't even notice it over the other Orion pack because of all the tire spinning in off-road). Plus it is cheaper and also comes with the Traxxas plug. Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.
Well I no longer have the traxxas plug on my esc i replaced it with a deans connector. How much run time would I lose if I went with your second link

compared to the first link?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Onyx 230 charger is a nice charger and doesn't need a power supply and only cost around 80.00. I just got a trtion Jr. charger off of this site for 45.00 and I made the power supply out of a pc power supply and it works great. As for the lipo the Orion lipos work really well and also the SMC lipos.
ghj1997 is offline   Reply With Quote