Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Superstock buggy question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Superstock buggy question

I'm planning on running my Losi XXX-CR at the local track in the super stock class. I am getting back into racing after about 14 years off so I'm catching up on all this great new technology. My question

If I am planning on running a 13.5T brushless system wtih lipo and I plan on having 2 lipo battery packs how big of packs should I get and how high of rating?

I'm seeing batteries from 20C-40C and 2800mAh to 5400mAh. I understand I need to watch for what is my weakest link but I also don't want to overkill and waste money. Is there a point where a higher end battery (30-40C range) may not be needed unless your running modified motors? Would a pair of 3800mAh batteries at 20-25C work as good for the class I will be racing as the more expensive models?

Thanks much.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the best i think is the orion 3800 30c lipo battery. trinity makes the 3800 35c which i havent heard much about but the older 25c version worked great. those are probably some of the best you can get. smc is making or has made a 40c 5000mah + lipo that could be considered too.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by not home
the best i think is the orion 3800 30c lipo battery. trinity makes the 3800 35c which i havent heard much about but the older 25c version worked great. those are probably some of the best you can get. smc is making or has made a 40c 5000mah + lipo that could be considered too.
Thanks for the input. I like orion and trinity products and will keep those in mind. Do you know if there is a point where a battery past a certain C level will just put out more current than the 13.5 brushless setup will ever draw?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The orion 3800 and 30C is the perfect combo, the packs are light and have plenty of MAH to make any 5-7 minute race easy and gives a solid 20 minutes of practice time. All you need is 1 pack but two is great for running bakc to back all day long.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jettaglxdriver
Thanks for the input. I like orion and trinity products and will keep those in mind. Do you know if there is a point where a battery past a certain C level will just put out more current than the 13.5 brushless setup will ever draw?
well with a 17.5 i can tell the punch and lightness difference between the trakpower 4900 and orion 3800. i could clear the jumps a ton farther with less of a running start with the 3800.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by not home
well with a 17.5 i can tell the punch and lightness difference between the trakpower 4900 and orion 3800. i could clear the jumps a ton farther with less of a running start with the 3800.
With as many variables offroad has I doubt you were seeing that big of a difference with 5C more, you may have been noticing the weight loss from running the 3800 though.

I have a trakpower 4900 and the new reedy 5000, I would recommend the reedy, plus it was about 15$ cheaper. I like the ability to run for over a half hour at a time, and can do it with these bigger packs. I've never run a smaller lipo (3200, 3800), but I'm sure they're just as punchy, just less run time.

I would recommend getting two lipos as soon as you can afford it, having one charge while you're on the track means you'll be able to run back to back with nearly no breaks, if you wanted to.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Would a pair of 3800mAh batteries at 20-25C work as good for the class I will be racing as the more expensive models?
I think you are on the right track for your situation. Get something reasonable to get restarted with and work on the driving, now is not the time to worry about the battery of the month. I suspect a 13.5 with this level of lipo will have plenty of rip for you to work on getting your driving back. In our experience it’s difficult to separate any possible performance difference in the Lipos we have in this range and up from changing track and tire conditions.

You can always pick up a higher performance battery later as your driving improves. The numbers seem to be getting better by the day, and cheaper too.

Todays technology is frickin' amazing, just gear to the moon and hang on!

Good Luck, and enjoy!

Last edited by Dave H; 01-25-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Sweet thank you all for the information. From what I am seeing about these brushless systems is that if I gear it right and have the run time in my batteries I can really do some long practice sessions without cooking stuff? This new stuff rocks.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Sweet thank you all for the information. From what I am seeing about these brushless systems is that if I gear it right and have the run time in my batteries I can really do some long practice sessions without cooking stuff? This new stuff rocks.
your right, brushless and lipo is great.