Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is Lipo to much power in 1/10th modified ? >

Is Lipo to much power in 1/10th modified ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Lipo to much power in 1/10th modified ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
With Brushless motors and a high end Lipo is the power/punch to much in 1/10th Modified 2wd and Truck ?

I'm asking this because we released a single cell Lipo for 1/12th scale and I'm thinking of trying single cell in mod offroad. I'm pretty sure it would make the motors smoother which should be good on many of the low traction tracks.

We could do a 12000 pack in the current ROAR hardcase.

Nothing stoping anyone or you Danny from using a 1 cell Li-Po anyway`s....

and

No !!!

2c is not to much power to handle ....
Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I still want to test this as there might be some advantages. When racing indoor carpet offroad with a 7.5 Light motor I was really never squeezing the throttle with a 5000/28 pack. I was getting 27 minutes of runtime.

If I were to try 3.5 regular wire single cell Lipo maybe it would give me a better power band. Would be fun to see how much runtime I could get at 12000mAh.

It's easy for me to get our Lipo supplier to build some packs to play with so I will try and it and have afew others mess around with it to see if there is any advantages or use for it.
Test it and give us your experiences, it's interesting stuff!

Beware though that the current ROAR rules do not allow single lipo (better double check).
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

At our lower grip track in sw lower michigan we've gone to 10.5 motors and your lipos and are turning faster laps than 8.5 & 7.5 motors. Running close to the same in overall topend but getting there smoother.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Danny, 7.4 lipo power is just fine in off-road. Modified off-road has always been the great equalizer class. The fastest 3.5 turn motor is available, but nobody runs it in off-road. Anybody could buy that 3.5 motor and have a faster car than Ryan Cavalieri, but would not beat him on the track. Everybody buys slower, track specific motors based on track size and traction. Between radio adjustments, speed control adjustments, and motor adjustments, and the different available winds, off-road is covered for a long time to come. If anything, being able to buy a different can winding without spending $85.00 on a whole new motor would be more useful. Besides another battery rule change so soon would cause unneeded choas in the industry again, and in this economy, that would not be a good thing.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

nice part bout castle stuff. u can easily chop it down to make it work, make it driveable towards ur skill level and save ur tires.

i've really hogged tied mine down and its only a 4600

R
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Brushless gearing can be very high, I wonder how that would turn out?
Hotter motor, but at lower voltage?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

At the track i race at in the winter traction is in short supply, so a lower voltage lipo may be a hot ticket possibly. I currently just change the punch control settings on the ESC and that seems to do the trick too.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hell i would try it. why not... do some testing over at smc and if you need outside testing do what needs to get done whats 10 packs really gonna cost you guys in the long run especially if it pans out.. its like any other r&d.

i say, hell you never know unless you try.