Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated 1:8 Electric Conversion Kit >

Team Associated 1:8 Electric Conversion Kit

Team Associated 1:8 Electric Conversion Kit

Reply

Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
  #16  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Exactly! There is only ONE 14.8V hard case battery and over 70 7.4V batteries. AE offers an optional body for the E car that fits perfectly.

Soft cases? Every ROAR race, any larger "outlaw" race, and most electric tracks and clubs require hard cases for 1/10 classes for safety reasons. I don't see why they will treat 1/8 differently.

It all depends on how you look at it.
ROAR is behind the times. A lot of the folks who have been doing this for the past two years don't even use 4s lipos anymore and have moved up to 5s & 6s because everything is runs more efficient and reliably. That is why most of the speedos coming out now go up to 6s.

RC Pro Series doesn't require hardcased lipos and goes up to 6s and I would bet a steak dinner if anyone is serious about 1/8 electric they aren't going to stick with 2 1/10 packs very long.

It is a nice kit, but the battery limitation is a huge drawback IMHO.
Edumakated is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
  #17  
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,988
Default

Originally Posted by kufman View Post
None of our local tracks require hard cases. I also don't see how they are any safer. In fact, not being about to see the warning signs of a failing cell makes them less safe in my opinion. The only thing required is that batteries are charged in a lipo sack or ammo box. In my opinion the most dangerous thing I see at the track is charging two separate lipos as one pack without the use of a balance charger. The use of a balancing charger goes far beyond having the cells matched, it is also a great safety asset. The charger knows so much more about the pack which would have avoided the two lipo fires that have occurred at our local track. Both of which were due to charging a lipo on a non-lipo profile. This protection is built into Hyperion chargers.

More and more companies will make 4 and 5S hard case packs and most likely none of them will be 138mm long.
I am not sure i agree with the last statement so we will have to agree to disagree I think companies will make batteries that fit the most popular cars and conversions.
Rick Hohwart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
  #18  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ca bay area
Posts: 113
Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default

Aparently AE is not considering the thousands and thousands of bashers out there who don't race. These are the people who buy the non ROAR, soft case high power lipos like the Zippy's, Enerland, Thunder Power, and many other no name packs that don't fit.

This is the reason that I am not buying one. So I still think it was an error on their part. Change the battery tray, and I'll be buying one.

Maybe put a removable barrier in there for smaller packs, so they will work with both large and small packs.
steve671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM
  #19  
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,988
Default

Originally Posted by steve671 View Post
Aparently AE is not considering the thousands and thousands of bashers out there who don't race. These are the people who buy the non ROAR, soft case high power lipos like the Zippy's, Enerland, Thunder Power, and many other no name packs that don't fit.

This is the reason that I am not buying one. So I still think it was an error on their part. Change the battery tray, and I'll be buying one.

Maybe put a removable barrier in there for smaller packs, so they will work with both large and small packs.
To each his own.
Rick Hohwart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
  #20  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
trdsupra88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,531
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

How easy would it be to modify the battery tray? I am going to get the kit and am assuming my elite 4s packs wont fit well and I am sure I will have to dremel it a ton...
trdsupra88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
  #21  
Tech Adept
 
MikeDeadly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.
Posts: 113
Default

I did not get the AE conversion for this exact reason. I ended up going with the RC Monster kit.

Thank you JDCrow for posting the part number list because I will be picking up the radio box that comes in the AE conversion. That radio box makes things look oh so clean on that conversion.

Great pics too, that thing looks like it'll be loads of fun.
-M
MikeDeadly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM
  #22  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 956
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
Who has the kit in stock?
I will have two (2) available on Tuesday Jan 27th

JD
JDCrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
  #23  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,461
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ShtLuck View Post
not to mention if you use hard case you get a much higher discharge rating at a better price..
2 quality 5000mah 28c packs at 90 bucks each are cheaper than a 4s 20c or 5s 20c pack.
This I cannot agree with. The NeuEnergy 4300XP is $109 for a 4S with 25C discharge. Is there a hard case 2S pack out there at $55? I see many 3400 mAh, 25C's for about $80-$90, but not too much around $55. The cheapest I can find is an SMC 4100, 24C for $65.
kufman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
  #24  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (33)
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,820
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I like the 2 1/10th scale pack idea.


I am a 1/10th scale electric guy who wants to dabble in 1/8th electric this summer at vineland.

What are 1/8th scale rules ?

don't give me no JBRL crap cause thats a west coast thing.

What's the roar limitation ?

Is 5s allowed in racing ?



another point is some people don't have 5s and 6s capable chargers.
Jason Pelletier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
  #25  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kufman View Post
This I cannot agree with. The NeuEnergy 4300XP is $109 for a 4S with 25C discharge. Is there a hard case 2S pack out there at $55? I see many 3400 mAh, 25C's for about $80-$90, but not too much around $55. The cheapest I can find is an SMC 4100, 24C for $65.
Many people don't know where to shop for lipos yet, so they still pay top dollar for maxamps and other stuff because they don't know any better. The neuenergy stuff is excellent. I think I paid $130 for a 5s 25c 4350 pack. I won't get started on the zippys for under $90 bucks that work just as well. Not to mention truerc.net.

Softcase lipo dangers are greatly exaggerated. I had a strap break and send my lipo flying out of my car at 40 mph and it didn't do any damage to the battery. No nuclear explosions or black holes. Still works just fine. The biggest danger are people not charging properly which a hardcase can't prevent.
Edumakated is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
  #26  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (33)
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,820
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Many people don't know where to shop for lipos yet, so they still pay top dollar for maxamps and other stuff because they don't know any better. The neuenergy stuff is excellent. I think I paid $130 for a 5s 25c 4350 pack. I won't get started on the zippys for under $90 bucks that work just as well. Not to mention truerc.net.

Softcase lipo dangers are greatly exaggerated. I had a strap break and send my lipo flying out of my car at 40 mph and it didn't do any damage to the battery. No nuclear explosions or black holes. Still works just fine. The biggest danger are people not charging properly which a hardcase can't prevent.

If i have managed to crack the hardcase on one of my orion lipo's in a 1/10th Bug how the hell are you gonna say a soft case lipo couldn't be easily damaged.


I like the added value of a hard case design. It makes sense to me.
Jason Pelletier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
  #27  
Tech Master
 
RBMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Clara CA
Posts: 1,264
Default

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Soft cases? Every ROAR race, any larger "outlaw" race, and most electric tracks and clubs require hard cases for 1/10 classes for safety reasons. I don't see why they will treat 1/8 differently.

It all depends on how you look at it.
I look at it from efficiency & technology point of view.

I run at 3 different tracks & none are following ROAR on the hard case rule (or the 4 cell rule). ROAR is messing up 1/8th electric rules in a big way & this tray is a perfect example of what I mean. Oh ya & I paid $150 for each of my 6 cell packs which if motored & geared correctly run way cooler than any 4 cell set-up. Don't even get me started on the sensored motor rules.
RBMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
  #28  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,461
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
If i have managed to crack the hardcase on one of my orion lipo's in a 1/10th Bug how the hell are you gonna say a soft case lipo couldn't be easily damaged.


I like the added value of a hard case design. It makes sense to me.
Because most of us that use softcase have padding in our battery boxes and usually some velcro too to prevent the slippage that leads to breaking things.

Has anyone taken apart a hard case pack? Is there padding in there, or potting?
kufman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
  #29  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: pa
Posts: 2,643
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kufman View Post
This I cannot agree with. The NeuEnergy 4300XP is $109 for a 4S with 25C discharge. Is there a hard case 2S pack out there at $55? I see many 3400 mAh, 25C's for about $80-$90, but not too much around $55. The cheapest I can find is an SMC 4100, 24C for $65.
if you are going to quote me make sure you read what i wrote first....
ShtLuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
  #30  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Default

guys get on neo-buggy.net take a look at associateds newest hot deal
charly71 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service