Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice on my B4...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Post Need advice on my B4...

I have a Team Assoc. B4. My stock brushed motor took a dump. I can't afford a Blushless system so what would be the next best thing for a Brushed motor? I race alot. I'm not a basher. So I need to be able to keep it under control on the track. Let me know. Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Well if you don't want to run in the stock class anymore you can go buy a 19turn spec motor.
I would also buy a lipo batter. You don't need the brushless system to run a lipo (allot of people assume this).
Here's a link for a good lipo pack:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/32076
Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

A good 27 turn or 19 turn stock motor would be the go for racing with some control, and getting a bit of life out of the motor. Assuming you don't want to spend an absolute mint, you could look around for a Checkpoint money, or Reedy Challenger. They are both good motors, and have a few different variants depending on your budget.

Also, remember to keep it clean, get the comm skimmed fairly regularly if you can, and change the brushes when they get too worn or chipped.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would just buy a Castle Creations Sidewinder brushless system for $140.00 and be done with it for a long time!! A bunch of guys at our local track have over 17 months on theres and havent touched them! I know it might be more then you want to spend now but just look at how much you can save over 17+months.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trickedyfz450
I would just buy a Castle Creations Sidewinder brushless system for $140.00 and be done with it for a long time!! A bunch of guys at our local track have over 17 months on theres and havent touched them! I know it might be more then you want to spend now but just look at how much you can save over 17+months.
I agree. If you're not spec racing go brushless, it's fast, reliable, and low maintenance. I would recommend the 4600kV motor as the 5700kV is so overly powerful it makes the T4 hard to control, it would be even more uncontrollable in a B4. The Sidewinder/4600kV is a great combo for the money.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i wouldnt get a castle bl system. they are very uncontrollable from what ive heard, id go with the novak havok 17.5 system. cheap, good, your best choice. for a stock motor, get it cut often, new brushes and if you can get it tuned too that would be awesome.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Trinity monster stock 27 turn is a great motor.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Trinity Monster or Trinity CO27 for stock (roar legal) brushed...
For the T4 I geared at 19/87 which I think is what the AE manual recommends, I'm not sure what they say for the B4.

Make sure to use motor cleaner to keep the comm clean (cut it when needed as well). Brushes last a long time for practice, but for good performance when racing change the brushes every 2-3 runs.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home
i wouldnt get a castle bl system. they are very uncontrollable from what ive heard, id go with the novak havok 17.5 system. cheap, good, your best choice. for a stock motor, get it cut often, new brushes and if you can get it tuned too that would be awesome.
LOL at suggesting he not get one from someone who has never had one.

You can make it as controllable as you like by adjusting the Mamba and your controller. If you move between big tracks or indoors you can always dial in just the right amount amount of power. Unlike my friend above me here, I will NOT say to avoid the Novak because I have never owned and therefore will keep my uneducated opinion to myself, because that's what it would be, ignorant and uneducated.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Forgot about the Cobalt. That is a great motor from what I have seen.

Brushless is great if you have the cash to splash in one hit. Some of us are married......
Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey Ive got a B4 and just bought the Castle sidewinder 5700 combo..what gearing should I start out with? Thanks..
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krupted
I have a Team Assoc. B4. My stock brushed motor took a dump. I can't afford a Blushless system so what would be the next best thing for a Brushed motor? I race alot. I'm not a basher. So I need to be able to keep it under control on the track. Let me know. Thanks.

Dan

I would have to do a +1 on the Trinity Monster stock 27T motor if you can't afford brushless.

In a 2wd, 1/10th buggy, a 27T is plenty fast, although if your intent is to clear long doubles and triples, you might want to invest in a lower turn motor.

A good el-cheapo modified that I loved using when I was using brushed motors were the Team Orion Method R motors. They are super cheap nowadays (Hobbypeople are going to have a sale soon). I would highly recommend getting something between 13T to 19T. I think anything below a 13T for a 2wd buggy is just too much power...

Then again, if you do end up going brushless, there's a tremendous amount of power in those as well...

In my experience, Castle Creation's ESCs have performed very well. It is probably the best bang for your buck IMO... I'd recommend staying with the 4600Kv motor if you do go with a CC system. But that's just my opinion, I prefer more torque then RPM in off-road application. You can always adjust it with gearing, but there's limitation in that as well due to spur, pinion, and motor mounting positions...
Old 05-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Tech Master

They have the starter gearing on the little chart that comes with the ESC. Depends on the batteries (lipo, NiMh, number of cells), and also if you're racing or bashing, whether you want acceleraion or speed etc. Lots of variables!
The guide with the ESC says 18 to 23 tooth for a B4 with 6 cell NiMh batteries. Maybe start in the middel of that range and go from there
Old 05-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
They have the starter gearing on the little chart that comes with the ESC. Depends on the batteries (lipo, NiMh, number of cells), and also if you're racing or bashing, whether you want acceleraion or speed etc. Lots of variables!
The guide with the ESC says 18 to 23 tooth for a B4 with 6 cell NiMh batteries. Maybe start in the middel of that range and go from there
Thanks JR. I bought my Sidewinder 5700 used so I didnt get the chart. I just needed a rough starting point so that works. Thanks again!