R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If anyone is looking...I have a super-nice Banzai/Checkpoint 19T "mod" (adjustable timing, hand-wound). It has probably 20-25 runs on it, super-clean and it doesn't even need a cut yet from what Scott @ Banzai tells me.

I bought it about a year ago for my (then) new SP and ran it until I could scrape together enough $$$ for another BL ESC. I think I paid 55-60 bucks for it and I'll sell it for $30 shipped with an extra set of brushes.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #17
Tech Master

PM sent
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #18
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say go lipo if you can, it will make the biggest difference. The battery is the source of the power so if it doesnt have it, the motor deffenatly wont.

Most people it seams switch to lipo and brushless at the same time so they think its brushless motor that has all the power, well its the battery. I run a 19t with lipo and it is faster than 13.5 and if i have the traction the truck will flip right over. A good battery makes all the difference in the world.

I dont have a cuttoff on my esc and run smc 4100 pack. same as ultegratsi was talking about.
Yukondoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you are set on getting a 19t motor which it sounds like you are. The brand you buy is going to be based on how much you want to spend. If you are looking for a cheaper budget friendly 19t look at motors like the Trinity Chameleon or the Reedy Quad magnet. If you want a real race motor look at the Fantom motors, Checkpoint Money, Orion Element (all 3 versions are great), or the Trinity Komodo. The Elements and the Fantoms are my favorite because they run strong for a long time before needing to be cut. The Money was a very good motor for me until I bought the others and the Komodo is a good motor if you get a good one. I had 4 of them before I got one that ran as strong as the others. I know there are many places selling the fantom motors as there own special tweaked version but I found that if you buy them straight from fantom you get the better numbers. The 1st one I bought dyno'd at 26,700 rpm at 5 volts and that is better than most 15t mods on the market.
racerj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukondoit View Post
I would say go lipo if you can, it will make the biggest difference. The battery is the source of the power so if it doesnt have it, the motor deffenatly wont.

Most people it seams switch to lipo and brushless at the same time so they think its brushless motor that has all the power, well its the battery. I run a 19t with lipo and it is faster than 13.5 and if i have the traction the truck will flip right over. A good battery makes all the difference in the world.

I dont have a cuttoff on my esc and run smc 4100 pack. same as ultegratsi was talking about.
how many lipos should i get or would i need?

also would i need a lipo charger?

how much would this all cost me?

at this particular track there is about 15 mins between each race. THat means say I run this battery down, would I have time to charge it up again before the next race, or would I have to use another battery?
asbe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #21
Tech Master

You can run lipos with your stock ESC just don't run past 10min.
Heres the battery
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/32076
Heres the charger
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/26108
Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

alright thanks!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you are worried about using a lipo on an older speed control you can also look for batteries with the built in cutoff like the Trinity Reference Lipo. The c-rating is only 20c and not 35 like some of the new ones but it still get the job done.
racerj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

If you are looking for a really good 19T motor, post a WTB for an "ARCOR" 19 turn. They are hand wound 19 turns with standup brushes. The ARCOR organization is defunct, so no one really races these any more and anyone who has any for ARCOR racing would probably be glad to sell them.

I haven't seen many for sale recently - I don't know if the supply has dried up or if people have given up trying to sell them. I'd offer you a new one for $35 shipped, but you might find a better deal somewhere else.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #25

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i told u that smc battery is about 65bux. u only need 1

the onyx 230 can be had for 60bux, no more than 70.

ready to go

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbe88 View Post
how many lipos should i get or would i need?

also would i need a lipo charger?

how much would this all cost me?

at this particular track there is about 15 mins between each race. THat means say I run this battery down, would I have time to charge it up again before the next race, or would I have to use another battery?
You wouldn't have to worry about running a Li-Po down in a 5 minute club race, hell you don't have to worry about even 2 races. If you were to charge it in between every round (which is by no means necessary), you should be able to charge it in 15 minutes. Plus they don't get warm so they can go directly from the car to the charger. They just make life so much easier and I am sure that when you make the switch you will be much faster and happier.
LIVipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can recharge a lipo between rounds with issue. There no need to run it down. Also before you spend the money, trying borrowing someone else lipo at the track just for practice a couple laps. This is how i found my issue with my batteries. I was running a 11x2 fantom checkpoint motor and it was still slow. I put the lipo in and it was out of control so i went down to a 13x2 then later stuck with a 19t.

Also if you need a charger do you currently have a power supply? If you do you can buy cheaper chargers.
Yukondoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 AM   #28
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

You never answered ultegrasti about your gearing . What are you geared at ? If you have it geared wrong , no motor or battery will fix that .

For years I said I`d never go brushless /lipo , then I tried a guys buggy with it and then sold my brushed motors and Nimh batts . The initial cost seems high but well worth it .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

problem solved, all help was appreciated
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

i probably won't go lipo for a while, becuase they need a lot of attention and money and are dangerous, my friend has lipos, he told me about them, he said they are very fast but converting to lipos cost him about 400, which tbh is something id like to avoid as much as when i've driven his xxCR I loved it so much because it was going so fast it was doing wheelies the whole of his track.

I am going to get a new motor though, a reedy challenger most likely, the friend above has this motor and he said it was well worth it, I know many people may think it's not the motor that is the probem, but I've read into it and discovered that the radon really does suck bad!

and the answer to briguy's question was that my gear ratio on the b4 is 2.6:1 .

thanks everyone! problem solved all comments appreciated.