R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Help with Mini LST2

I am new to rctech.com. I just purchased a used Losi Mini LST2 from someone on ebay. The first day the car worked fine for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the car would stop for a few minutes then start up again. I noticed that there was a red light that was flashing on the ESC. This happened numerous times that evening. The next morning, the car would barely move and after about 10 seconds, the car would stop and the red light would flash again.

I do not know what is wrong. I made sure the batteries in the car and radio were good. I read the manual and tried to reset the ESC, but the ESC wouldn't even allow me to follow the steps outlined in the manual. I spoke with the previous owner and he was not aware of a problem.

Any thoughts?
roscoejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoejohnson View Post
I am new to rctech.com. I just purchased a used Losi Mini LST2 from someone on ebay. The first day the car worked fine for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the car would stop for a few minutes then start up again. I noticed that there was a red light that was flashing on the ESC. This happened numerous times that evening. The next morning, the car would barely move and after about 10 seconds, the car would stop and the red light would flash again.

I do not know what is wrong. I made sure the batteries in the car and radio were good. I read the manual and tried to reset the ESC, but the ESC wouldn't even allow me to follow the steps outlined in the manual. I spoke with the previous owner and he was not aware of a problem.

Any thoughts?
Try to send the esc back to Losi or call their support and ask them. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.
LIVipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Default LST2

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I would say go Brushless.
What battery are you running? The stock battery doesn't give out enough power for the little monster. I coggs too much.
I had the same problem with mine, The ESC burnt up after about 10 runs. I sent it back and the second one lasted for about 5 runs. I sent it back with the motors and a long letter about how much I like Losi products. They sent me a sidewinder micro with a 4700 kv motor. They are very nice people.
robert890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Did you charge the batteries in the car after the initial 20 minutes of running?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post
Did you charge the batteries in the car after the initial 20 minutes of running?
That's my question as well. about 20 minutes of running on the stock battery seems about right....

And do you have something other than the stock charger?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

I figured it out. The charger was charging the batteries at the wrong rate. I had to change the settings of the charger.

One more issue though.

I have the Duratrax Onyx 210 charger. I am charging 6 cell, 7.2 volt, 1100 mah batteries. The charger can charge at a rate of .8, 1.5, 3 or 5 amps. It defaults to 5. When I charged it at 5 the batteries didn't charge. The manual says to use the 1.5 rate and it did work. What is the difference between the 1.5 and 5 and what does it matter? Again, I am new to this and I trying to figure all this out. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
I figured it out. The charger was charging the batteries at the wrong rate. I had to change the settings of the charger.

One more issue though.

I have the Duratrax Onyx 210 charger. I am charging 6 cell, 7.2 volt, 1100 mah batteries. The charger can charge at a rate of .8, 1.5, 3 or 5 amps. It defaults to 5. When I charged it at 5 the batteries didn't charge. The manual says to use the 1.5 rate and it did work. What is the difference between the 1.5 and 5 and what does it matter? Again, I am new to this and I trying to figure all this out. Thank you.
That's Amperage/Amp Hours (Capacity) (Ah) (mAh = Milliamp hours, or 1/1000 amp per hour)

Typically you charge 1A per 1000mah, so a 1100mah battery would ideally charge at 1.1A in about an hour. at 1.5A, it prob gets done in 3-35 minutes or so....

It's a NiMH, it can take a little more current ....
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the response.

2 questions.

First, will I hurt the batteries if I charge it at 5? Will it change the characteristics of the charge cycle? I am looking for more run time, not more speed.

Second, any ideas as to why it didn't charge at 5?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
2 questions.

First, will I hurt the batteries if I charge it at 5? Will it change the characteristics of the charge cycle? I am looking for more run time, not more speed.
Probably. You will likely cook the battery at 5A

Quote:
Second, any ideas as to why it didn't charge at 5?
Technically it should, but I would not try it....

Old 10-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default Need help finding a losi lst2 speed controller

Hello all, I am new to this site and RC Cars. I recently acquired a Losi Mini LST2 monster truck. I cannot get the receiver or electronic speed controller to work. The handheld transmitter turns on but I do not see any lights flashing or even lit on the receiver. I connected it to a new battery but it seems like there is no power to the control or receiver. I am assuming that the controller is dead. I know that the existing controller in no longer available. Is there an optional replacement for the controller for the twin motor that would also work with the current 2.4ghz receiver? Thanks for your time.

tbirdsteve
65tbirdsteve is offline   Reply With Quote