R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
Tech Regular

i would love to see this replace the current 2wd truck classes; similar idea, just as competitive, and just as FUN. plus not having open wheels would make racing much more forgiving and enticing for newcomers.

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mike View Post
i would love to see this replace the current 2wd truck classes; similar idea, just as competitive, and just as FUN. plus not having open wheels would make racing much more forgiving and enticing for newcomers.
I think it is the new 2wd truck class, the entry count proves that out. They are that fun. I think you will see others make trucks like this one, if they all stay to the same formula....like everything else, it will be the next big thing, when it starts go go mod crazy it will die.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
Tech Regular

You would think there is a basher market outside of spec racing that would jump all over a 4WD electric short course or desert truck build to reasonable proporations. Monster trucks may be the best for bashing but some may not really like the monster truck style all that much. Me for instance, I can see picking up a Savage Flux in the future for the capability it provides alone but it wouldn't be because I'm into monster trucks (I'll watch monster trucks from time to time, maybe even go to Monster Jam this weekend…decision still pending…but I would rather go to a CORR event then Monster Jam).

Since nothing is currently available I had to make my own…which would be most comparable to a Slayer electric conversion probably. I thought about going the way of converting a 1/8 buggy to electric or waiting for the Caster product to come around, but I already had the E-Savage on the shelf waiting on a brushless upgrade so no need here to add another truck to the fleet when I could turn a monster truck into a desert truck! Kinda win-win for me actually! Anyway I have my needs covered but it would be nice to see some products from the big manufacturers to take-on this market.

This is actually a very simple project. Not counting the brushless related items for a brushless version, you really only need:

1. HPI E-Savage
2. Extended TVPs (Such as those available through GCM)
3. RPM bumper set for E-Savage
4. Slayer front bumpers (Qty: 2)
5. Slayer or Slash type body
6. HPI E-Savage 17mm Hex Hub kit
7. 1/8 Buggy Wheels
8. 1/8 Buggy Tires

No crazy custom fabrication required…just very basic r/c wrenching. Everything except for the TVPs can be ordered in one shot through Tower.
Attached Thumbnails
New CORR trucks coming??-estt_lightbar_covers_sm.jpg  
DARKWAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rob martin

looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKWAV View Post
You would think there is a basher market outside of spec racing that would jump all over a 4WD electric short course or desert truck build to reasonable proporations. Monster trucks may be the best for bashing but some may not really like the monster truck style all that much. Me for instance, I can see picking up a Savage Flux in the future for the capability it provides alone but it wouldn't be because I'm into monster trucks (I'll watch monster trucks from time to time, maybe even go to Monster Jam this weekend…decision still pending…but I would rather go to a CORR event then Monster Jam).

Since nothing is currently available I had to make my own…which would be most comparable to a Slayer electric conversion probably. I thought about going the way of converting a 1/8 buggy to electric or waiting for the Caster product to come around, but I already had the E-Savage on the shelf waiting on a brushless upgrade so no need here to add another truck to the fleet when I could turn a monster truck into a desert truck! Kinda win-win for me actually! Anyway I have my needs covered but it would be nice to see some products from the big manufacturers to take-on this market.

This is actually a very simple project. Not counting the brushless related items for a brushless version, you really only need:

1. HPI E-Savage
2. Extended TVPs (Such as those available through GCM)
3. RPM bumper set for E-Savage
4. Slayer front bumpers (Qty: 2)
5. Slayer or Slash type body
6. HPI E-Savage 17mm Hex Hub kit
7. 1/8 Buggy Wheels
8. 1/8 Buggy Tires

No crazy custom fabrication required…just very basic r/c wrenching. Everything except for the TVPs can be ordered in one shot through Tower.
rob martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I have been wanting to do something like this with my e-revo but none have seemed to look right.
bigbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeej View Post
I have been wanting to do something like this with my e-revo but none have seemed to look right.
E-Revo track looks to wide and wheelbase looks too long. Wheelbase might be right for an SC8 body, but track is still too wide.

At least it is a great driving truck, that's most of the fun right there. I didn't enjoy driving the E-Sav that much after awhile becuase it had such a short wheelbase and such a high CG. I like driving more than tumbling! The RB Chassis fortunately resolved those issues though.

I am looking forward to the 1/16 scale 4WD slayer, that should be a neat little truck. The combination of 4WD and slightler bigger scale wll make it a much better off-road basher than other minis out there now.
DARKWAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck driver View Post
The real corr trucks run different brands of chassis, motors, transmissions, shocks, etc.
As long as the dimensions are within the rules for each class you can run whatever brand you like.
That's not a spec class, that's an open class, and if the now Slash spec classes go open odds are most will abandon it because the cost will sky rocket from that point on. The beauty of the Slash class is the cost containment and the ability to bring new people in and they can be competitive out of the box. If you want to mod a truck, race 2wd truck open class, I think you could race a CORR truck against the T4 and Losi XXX-T at most tracks.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mike View Post
I doubt it would ever replace the 1/10 2WD truck, it's to popular and has way to much history. If ae could focus on developing a 1/10 4WD spec. CORR class make it cost effective to get into and cheap to maintain. Leave the aftermarket and modding to the bashers like myself .
RC nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

I'm also waiting to get a slayer ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKWAV View Post
I am looking forward to the 1/16 scale 4WD slayer, that should be a neat little truck. The combination of 4WD and slightler bigger scale wll make it a much better off-road basher than other minis out there now.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #25
Tech Adept

I found this truck and it looks the most scale out of all the trucks that are out their... I would be real interested in how it handels. @ $389.00 and a pre order I doubt it will really take off like the Slash but it sure looks way better than the competition.

http://thundertechracing.com/desertracer.htm

Last edited by RC nut; 01-13-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Actually, the Caster will not have anything to do with the Slash. It will be 1/8 scale based. We are working on it to try to figure out how to make it marketable.

Here is my thought process. The slash was the coolest thing I had seen in R/C in years and if you look back you can see where I posted that and I predicted it would be huge. It sits at $200. I said we needed to build one and we got tied up with other projects and AE beat us to the punch. Now my opinion is that the SC8 is the coolest R/C vehicle on the planet and that says a lot considering who I am.

Here is the dilemma, traxxas is selling on price factor at this point and is a great entry level piece for newcomers to get onto the track. AE is going for the "this is the real deal and you pay for it" selling factor. What we need to figure out is what does it need to sell and what price does it have to be to sell. We want to be somewhere in the middle of course, but what do you decide you need and what do you decide the price should be.

And of course, being a Caster, it has to handle really well and look as real as possible within reason. Do you need the cage? Do you need the mudflaps? Can you make the bumpers better? Should it sell for $400 or 550? Should there be a pro and a race roller or just one option? Electric conversion or kit? Make the bodies clear or painted? What about trying to do a 2wd class and locking the center diff and losing the unneccessary front parts?

There are about 100 other questions we have been pondering. I think we are lucky that AE came out and set the bar where they did. I am sure ours will be much different since we are racers at heart.....
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
Actually, the Caster will not have anything to do with the Slash. It will be 1/8 scale based. We are working on it to try to figure out how to make it marketable.

Here is my thought process. The slash was the coolest thing I had seen in R/C in years and if you look back you can see where I posted that and I predicted it would be huge. It sits at $200. I said we needed to build one and we got tied up with other projects and AE beat us to the punch. Now my opinion is that the SC8 is the coolest R/C vehicle on the planet and that says a lot considering who I am.

Here is the dilemma, traxxas is selling on price factor at this point and is a great entry level piece for newcomers to get onto the track. AE is going for the "this is the real deal and you pay for it" selling factor. What we need to figure out is what does it need to sell and what price does it have to be to sell. We want to be somewhere in the middle of course, but what do you decide you need and what do you decide the price should be.

And of course, being a Caster, it has to handle really well and look as real as possible within reason. Do you need the cage? Do you need the mudflaps? Can you make the bumpers better? Should it sell for $400 or 550? Should there be a pro and a race roller or just one option? Electric conversion or kit? Make the bodies clear or painted? What about trying to do a 2wd class and locking the center diff and losing the unneccessary front parts?

There are about 100 other questions we have been pondering. I think we are lucky that AE came out and set the bar where they did. I am sure ours will be much different since we are racers at heart.....
What's your take on the Thundertechracing pice? I understand production stuff need's to be somewhat plasticy in order to kepp things simple and cost effective. The AE offering when I looked at it well I was rather dissapointed in the fact they didn't find a way to make it more true to life with respect to suspension and drive train. the over all look with Traxxas and AE are real nice but when you take off the body it's just an, oh that's it bummer!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

[QUOTE=RC nut;5290276]I found this truck and it looks the most scale out of all the trucks that are out their... I would be real interested in how it handels. @ $389.00 and a pre order I doubt it will really take off like the Slash but it sure looks way better than the competition.
QUOTE]

The most scale IMO is the Tamiya TA-02 Ford based truck...small 1/10 4wd...Ill post pics of mine later...
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #29
Tech Addict

I don't think any more "CORR style" trucks are necassary at this point. The Slash spec class racing is a great idea and the cost-controlled element is great. Proper management of cost-controlled racing is the key to increasing the number of racers we have.

The issue with r/c racing now is that we already have too many classes to choose from. It seems that every time a new class comes out it may draw a few more racers in here and there but it also draws some racers away from existing classes.

One thing I have noticed from my experience is that many times at the local club level you get 5 different classes and 3-6 drivers in each class.

I've raced in club races with only 2 other drivers and let me tell ya' the old adage "the more the merrier" really does fit.

New classes aren't always a benefit.
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #30
MDB
Suspended

Let's see

Traxxas has the Slash

ThunderTech just came out with their CORR2

In the March 09 issue of R/C Car Action they review the electric conversion kit for the SC8.

So far that is all that I know in electric.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote