R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

i balance everytime, it might be overkill but it doesn't take much longer so why not do it. a nicely balanced pack will give you better performance.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TMR CHASSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedyfz450 View Post
I have been running 3 orion lipos for a little over a year now and check them often for balance but the don't need it often. About 6 months ago I bought a B44 and got a Max Amps 6000mah pack... That pack needs balanced once a week! I thought there was something wrong with it so I called them and they say this is normal for saddle packs...?? One time it was so far off my balancer wouldn't bring it back close so I checked the cells and they were way off the one was 4.19 and the other was 4.10.

My SMC 4900 MAH saddle pack I run in my B44 has never been balanced and still very close. 4.21. 4.19 after 30+ cycles SMC or Thunder Power are best pack you can buy! IMO
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS View Post
My SMC 4900 MAH saddle pack I run in my B44 has never been balanced and still very close. 4.21. 4.19 after 30+ cycles SMC or Thunder Power are best pack you can buy! IMO
+1
Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I run Orion lipos and they never needed to be balanced as of yet . I do balance them once and a while just for mind sake . I had one max amps pack and needed balanced all the time and still didn`t have the punch or runtime as the Orions and the Max Amps pack was 1200mah bigger .

Last edited by Briguy; 01-13-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use a balance charger so I don't even know what it is like to not balance! For me it was a safety thing. The balance charger can tell more about the pack since it is looking at each cell and it can then make decisions about what to do based on that information.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rob martin

looks nice for the price. It has a built in balancer?

rob martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My SMC 4900 MAH saddle pack I run in my B44 has never been balanced and still very close. 4.21. 4.19 after 30+ cycles SMC or Thunder Power are best pack you can buy! IMO I have been looking at the smc for a little while now and think thats the way Im going to go. I see a lot of people recomending trak powers gold bricks but at my local track alone i have seen 4 or 5 of them go bad so I really don't want to spend my money on them.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm curious?? Do you think the orion's are alot better than the maxamps in terms of quality? I see alot of racers at my local track that use the maxamps and i'm curious.
I think they are at least from my experience they seem better. I only wish Orion would come out with one because I would buy one of those asap! I called them about it like a week ago and they don't really have any plans for them so I guess I will try the SMC.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

I have an astro blinky and I think its the best bang for the buck balancer and will work with your existing chargers. You don't even need to be charging either, it just plugs into the balancing taps and slowly equalizes the cells.

I've got some maxamps cells that have seen some different configurations and they do get really out of wack especially when they have been sitting for a long period.

I know some people don't balance ther cells frequently or at all, but why risk damaging the packs that you've spent so much money on?
Crazy_jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Also there are a lot more applications now that have a two battery configuration. Savage Flux, Caster's 1/8 Electrics, Castle's 1/8 conversions kits that are supposed to be coming out these year, E-revo's have dual battery bays correct?. Manufacturers are going to be pretty good at matching the individual cells they put into a single pack, but there may be more variation between cells put into different packs. You would think that we would start seeing manufacturers sell matched packs in pairs but I haven't seen anything like that yet. So anyway use your balancer to balance charge both packs at the same time.

I have two pairs of 5000 mAh 2S LiPos for running in my brushless E-Savage in the 14.8V configuration. One is a 20C Reedy pair and the other is a 25C Yeah Racing pair. Anyway at full balance charge I'll see something like 8.44-8.43 volts on each battery. By the time I hit 12V cutoff set on my Mamba Max at the end of the run, I'll see as much variation as 6.7-6.8 volts on one battery and 6.2-6.4 on another (If I check individual cells I find that the cells within each pack remain very near equal). So for this reason I think it is important to balance-charge both batteries at the same time every time, as there is a greater concern getting the two separate packs in-balance with each other. In these days of hi voltage LiPo setups becoming more mainstream, having a capable charging setup is important.
DARKWAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Call me stupid, but I bought a MaxAmps 6000MAH LIPO 7.4 volt a while back and it just plain blows me away evertime I use it. I run a T4, with a Novak brushless ESC and a 10.5 motor. I get over 30 minutes run time and it hauls the mail!!

Checkpoint 1030 charger, and checkpoint balancer. ONly issue is that I can only charge at 3amps with the balancer connected and it takes like 2 hours to charge!

Trout
trout74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
Checkpoint 1030 charger, and checkpoint balancer. ONly issue is that I can only charge at 3amps with the balancer connected and it takes like 2 hours to charge!
Trout
Is there a high-current charging option available for your Checkpoint setup? I know there are balancers out there that can pass through 8 or 10 amps while balance charging, but I'm not sure if they have harnesses adapters for the bullet connector style hardpacks. I use an ICE/Equinox setup. Out of the box the Equinox is also only 3A max. I had to purchase high power adapters seperatly that allow charging up to 6A max. $30 seemed like an economical price for a charge-through balancer but you have to tack on another $20 to get the 6A capability, so really near the $50 price point you have other balancers available that allow for higher currents like 8 or 10 amps right out of the box.
DARKWAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yes i can buy an adapter but I dont have one. your prices are likely correct for my situation, as the ice and the checkpoint are identical except for the color and sticker.

trout
trout74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob martin View Post
looks nice for the price. It has a built in balancer?

Yep, and checkout RCGroups and see what the plane guys think of them. It is a great charger.

Should you balance your packs, sure, you should have balanced your plane packs once and a while as well. Just remember that plane guys have been running lipo, in-runner and out-runner motors years before the car guys even gave them a second look. Don't get too hung up on name brand lipo packs, only one company that actually makes cells sells to the RC market. The rest just buy cells put their logo on and mark up the price.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great information Gents. Thanks very much for the input!
rektafew is offline   Reply With Quote