Wiki Posts
Search

BJ4 vs B44

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default BJ4 vs B44

Ok folks I am officially sick of my zx-5 breaking and am looking at alternatives. Tossing up between the bj4 and the b44. I am racing in stock on a hard packed clay surface and am looking for a much stronger car. Which one would you pick and why?

Thanks

Luke
Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have both. I have spoken to Ray Munday about it, and we both agree on the following points -

The slipper is better on the B44
The steering assembly is better on the B44
The rear hub carriers / hinge pin design is better on the B44
The B44 is mass produced, so parts are more readily available (J Concepts still sells parts for the BJ4, but I think they have stopped producing the kit).

In the Aussie forum you asked where you can find a cheap B44 - Metro Hobbies in Box Hill has them listed for $459. I'm not sure if they have any in stock at the moment, but if you ask Peter he may be able to order one in for you.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah mate I spoke 2 ray and he pretty much said the same thing. I originally thought they were pretty similar but with subtle differences. Obviously I was wrong. I seem to break the zx-5 way too much and it is not even from crashing or hiting things anymore. Plus parts availability in australia is a bitch. Is it even worth considering a 2nd hand b44 roller?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookiezx-5
Is it even worth considering a 2nd hand b44 roller?
If you can find one in good condition for the right price, why not.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I just bought a used BJ4 and with the exception of a few parts that you have to order from JConcepts (shock towers, chassis, etc), many of the parts on the original BJ4 (non-world's edition) are either from Losi or the Associated B4, so it's pretty easy to find parts for. Just my thought, but I ran it for the first time in a race 2 days after I received it, and took some spectacular crashes and didn't break anything. It held up better than my Revo!

Food for thought...