R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I hope to not derail the thread, but what is everyone doing for charging these battery setups for 1/8 e conversions?

Are people running 4s doing 2 separate packs (hours of charging??) or using chargers that can do 4s at a time?

What do people running 5s and 6s use?

I have the LRP Pulsar 3 with the Hyperion balance adapter. The adapter can do 6s batts but the charger says it can only do up to 3s.
onefast8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some people use two separate packs, e.g. two 3s packs to make 6s and others just use a single pack. It depends on what will fit in the chassis and what is most convenient. With a 3s charger you can still charger two identical 3s packs at the same time by making two Y harnesses, one for the main power leads and other for the balance taps, splitting each lead into two.
Losi 22 Mid Motor
SpEEdyBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast8 View Post
I hope to not derail the thread, but what is everyone doing for charging these battery setups for 1/8 e conversions?

Are people running 4s doing 2 separate packs (hours of charging??) or using chargers that can do 4s at a time?

What do people running 5s and 6s use?

I have the LRP Pulsar 3 with the Hyperion balance adapter. The adapter can do 6s batts but the charger says it can only do up to 3s.
I'd suggest you think about what you want the car to do. Get the batteries that will make it happen, then get a charger that will handle them. Don't just get what works for other people, get what will work for you.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #64
Tech Regular

Just picked up a good deal on rclipos.com for a poly RC (Enerland) 3200 5s 30c battery. Free shipping to Australia was a bonus. http://www.rclipos.com
I needed another pack and found that most qualifying rounds at my club are less than 10 minutes so no need to run my heavier 4000 5s Zippy packs.

What I have found with the zippy packs compared to more expensive cells is that the voltage doesn't climb back up after a full discharge down to 3.2v per cell (16v for a 5s pack). Other racers using more expensive brands have posted that their 5s packs voltage will bounce back up over 17.5v easily after 10minutes rest from a full discharge. My Zippy's don't go over 17v. They have done this from day one so there's nothing wrong and both my Zippy's respond very similar, within .2v.

What this means? I don't really know - but I do occasionally have a failure to register the 5s cell count before charging. I beleive it may be because the V is too low. Occasionally I need to charge for a couple of minutes on a lower setting then stop/start it again to register 5s.

Overall the Zippy is a solid performer. Both of mine have worked fine and side by side with over 30 charges each they perform without any noticable difference between them. My cousin on the other hand bought two 4s Zippy's recently and had one which died after one run. I offered to open it up and check the soldering because it looked perfect but he preferred to send it back. This is where it gets interesting. The return process has been difficult from getting the right form to fill out to even getting a confirmation that they received the parcel. (Hobbycity). It's still in limbo. Not a good feeling!

EDIT: Hobby city has since replaced the battery with a new one although communication was very ambiguous. Didn't know the whereabouts of the battery till a replacement came in the mail.
I recommend you get tracking on your parcel if you ever send anything back so you can prove it has been received because they could never confirm this.

Last edited by eXraycer; 02-13-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: new information
eXraycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Has anyone bought this pack: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_5S1P_30C_
If you have could you measure it for me and confirm the dimensions? I read on the Hobby City comments section that a couple of people said that another pack from them was slightly larger than advertized.
Thanks.
steve671 is offline   Reply With Quote