R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Tech Elite
 
streetracer745's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,291
Send a message via AIM to streetracer745
Default

If yo ureally want him to get interested maybe you should buy a kit and build it with him. I built my first buggy when I was 8 and have been hooked since. You can get a decent Tamiya buggy for relatively cheap and build it with him. He might really take interest with that. A HPI 10B or some budget 2wd truck would probably be best. And sometimes its the inexpensive little cars that are the most fun. I have a ton of fun with my bone stock tl01 POS
__________________
89% of Revos are racers. If your Revo can out-bash and out-run a Savage, put this in your sig.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
Tech Adept
 
buds302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

IMHO dont get and Emaxx.

i had a Tmaxx and it required fine skill in the air in order to not break something. one wrong landing and there went the shocks... or there goes the bumpers, or the skid plates, or something. i was at hobbytown twice a week replacing parts. and i was deemed a good driver for my track... i upgraded to a 1/8 buggy...and never once broke anything on it yet. this has been a year and a half now. the only thing it needs is a new engine.. cause the OEM one is underpowered.

i think a good choice if your going to step it up would be a Erevo. those are pretty tough trucks. a slash is a good choice. an RC18T might also be a good option...4wd
buds302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Tech Adept
 
buds302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

please OP... where is that track???? it looks sweet! im guessing south FL?


and BTW... those pics are awesome... what camera did you take those with?
buds302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
Tech Elite
 
BashemSmashem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,624
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Well , youre not a newbie and judging by your sig you like too mod your trucks so I vote for the E REVO , mine was great stock , not too slow but still fast enough too be fun and I only cracked an a arm once with it from landing on a railroad tie .

It is a better truck on the track than the nitro REVO is IMO because its better balanced and has a lower CG . So even if your son doesnt like it you can always make it brushless and drive it yourself

And they are getting pretty cheap , I belive they are down too 400.00 now for the E REVO ....
BashemSmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #20
Tech Master
 
joeling's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,304
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Wow, thanks. This track is located in East Malaysia on the island of Borneo, land of the head hunters (though I've never seen one) & hornbills

I'm using a entry level Canon 450D with 17-55 EFS F2.8 lens to shoot the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buds302 View Post
please OP... where is that track???? it looks sweet! im guessing south FL?


and BTW... those pics are awesome... what camera did you take those with?
Regards,
Joe Ling
__________________
HN X2 CR OS Speed WC Ti, HN X1 CR Polyquest 5S Neu 1512 2000kv MMM
HN X2 Neu 1515 2000KV Polyquest 5S 6000mah MMM, HN X2 OS Speed WC
Hyper 9e Medusa 2000KV 4S 6000mah MMM, Hyper mini STe Medusa 3300KV 3S 2500mah MM
Savage FLM ext. 5S MMM 8XL, E REVO Medusa 1600KV 6S MMM
Thunder Tiger ST Neu 1515 2000KV Lutach esc 5S 4800mah
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 AM   #21
Tech Master
 
joeling's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,304
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

That's how I got started in my first year of high school with the tamiya hotshot. I will definitely look into this as he gets older. Also perhaps entice him to become a mechanical engineer like myself .

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer745 View Post
If yo ureally want him to get interested maybe you should buy a kit and build it with him. I built my first buggy when I was 8 and have been hooked since. You can get a decent Tamiya buggy for relatively cheap and build it with him. He might really take interest with that. A HPI 10B or some budget 2wd truck would probably be best. And sometimes its the inexpensive little cars that are the most fun. I have a ton of fun with my bone stock tl01 POS

Regards,
Joe Ling
__________________
HN X2 CR OS Speed WC Ti, HN X1 CR Polyquest 5S Neu 1512 2000kv MMM
HN X2 Neu 1515 2000KV Polyquest 5S 6000mah MMM, HN X2 OS Speed WC
Hyper 9e Medusa 2000KV 4S 6000mah MMM, Hyper mini STe Medusa 3300KV 3S 2500mah MM
Savage FLM ext. 5S MMM 8XL, E REVO Medusa 1600KV 6S MMM
Thunder Tiger ST Neu 1515 2000KV Lutach esc 5S 4800mah
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #22
Tech Master
 
joeling's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,304
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Hmm, that's something I would get for myself actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by show&go View Post
You should look into a brushless conversion Jammin CRT.5, Speed would be up to whatever motor and battery combo you throw at it, and it is a tuff little truck. Check out Rc-monster for more info about them.
Regards,
Joe Ling
__________________
HN X2 CR OS Speed WC Ti, HN X1 CR Polyquest 5S Neu 1512 2000kv MMM
HN X2 Neu 1515 2000KV Polyquest 5S 6000mah MMM, HN X2 OS Speed WC
Hyper 9e Medusa 2000KV 4S 6000mah MMM, Hyper mini STe Medusa 3300KV 3S 2500mah MM
Savage FLM ext. 5S MMM 8XL, E REVO Medusa 1600KV 6S MMM
Thunder Tiger ST Neu 1515 2000KV Lutach esc 5S 4800mah
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #23
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 260
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Joe, just give him the radio for your truck. It won't take a long time for him to learn how to control it. You'll be surprised .

That's what I did to my son.
__________________
Castle 1518 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .18TZ
Supermaxx with Trx 3.3
Revo 3.3
Kyosho ST-RR
george16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #24
Tech Master
 
joeling's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,304
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, I bought a couple from Stormerhobbies just last night. Still waiting for them to ship it out though.

Actually, a thought came to me just now. I have some Thunder Tiger ST-1s lying around & I have just bought a RCM mount for it. I can convert it to BL with a 12XL lying around & pair it with a spare MMM & 14cell Nimh. This will give a top speed in the low 20's mph. This should be slow enough for him to handle & I can upgrade the motor later when he gets better.

Why didn't I think of this earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashemSmashem View Post
Well , youre not a newbie and judging by your sig you like too mod your trucks so I vote for the E REVO , mine was great stock , not too slow but still fast enough too be fun and I only cracked an a arm once with it from landing on a railroad tie .

It is a better truck on the track than the nitro REVO is IMO because its better balanced and has a lower CG . So even if your son doesnt like it you can always make it brushless and drive it yourself

And they are getting pretty cheap , I belive they are down too 400.00 now for the E REVO ....
Regards,
Joe Ling
__________________
HN X2 CR OS Speed WC Ti, HN X1 CR Polyquest 5S Neu 1512 2000kv MMM
HN X2 Neu 1515 2000KV Polyquest 5S 6000mah MMM, HN X2 OS Speed WC
Hyper 9e Medusa 2000KV 4S 6000mah MMM, Hyper mini STe Medusa 3300KV 3S 2500mah MM
Savage FLM ext. 5S MMM 8XL, E REVO Medusa 1600KV 6S MMM
Thunder Tiger ST Neu 1515 2000KV Lutach esc 5S 4800mah
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #25
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 260
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Yeah, I bought a couple from Stormerhobbies just last night. Still waiting for them to ship it out though.

Actually, a thought came to me just now. I have some Thunder Tiger ST-1s lying around & I have just bought a RCM mount for it. I can convert it to BL with a 12XL lying around & pair it with a spare MMM & 14cell Nimh. This will give a top speed in the low 20's mph. This should be slow enough for him to handle & I can upgrade the motor later when he gets better.

Why didn't I think of this earlier



Regards,
Joe Ling

I'm hoping you'll have better luck getting your son drive a 20 mph truck while watching drive with yours. I know my son didn't.
__________________
Castle 1518 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .18TZ
Supermaxx with Trx 3.3
Revo 3.3
Kyosho ST-RR
george16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #26
Tech Master
 
joeling's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,304
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Hi george16,

I'll just have bring to something like the lunchbox & let him choose one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george16 View Post
I'm hoping you'll have better luck getting your son drive a 20 mph truck while watching drive with yours. I know my son didn't.
Regards,
Joe Ling
__________________
HN X2 CR OS Speed WC Ti, HN X1 CR Polyquest 5S Neu 1512 2000kv MMM
HN X2 Neu 1515 2000KV Polyquest 5S 6000mah MMM, HN X2 OS Speed WC
Hyper 9e Medusa 2000KV 4S 6000mah MMM, Hyper mini STe Medusa 3300KV 3S 2500mah MM
Savage FLM ext. 5S MMM 8XL, E REVO Medusa 1600KV 6S MMM
Thunder Tiger ST Neu 1515 2000KV Lutach esc 5S 4800mah
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #27
Tech Adept
 
buds302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Wow, thanks. This track is located in East Malaysia on the island of Borneo, land of the head hunters (though I've never seen one) & hornbills

I'm using a entry level Canon 450D with 17-55 EFS F2.8 lens to shoot the photos.



Regards,
Joe Ling

i wouldve never guessed malaysia....lol i was gonna say south FL casue the palm trees, open view... and what looked like a mexican walking on the track...lol
buds302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #28
Tech Master
 
joeling's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,304
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by buds302 View Post
i wouldve never guessed malaysia....lol i was gonna say south FL casue the palm trees, open view... and what looked like a mexican walking on the track...lol
__________________
HN X2 CR OS Speed WC Ti, HN X1 CR Polyquest 5S Neu 1512 2000kv MMM
HN X2 Neu 1515 2000KV Polyquest 5S 6000mah MMM, HN X2 OS Speed WC
Hyper 9e Medusa 2000KV 4S 6000mah MMM, Hyper mini STe Medusa 3300KV 3S 2500mah MM
Savage FLM ext. 5S MMM 8XL, E REVO Medusa 1600KV 6S MMM
Thunder Tiger ST Neu 1515 2000KV Lutach esc 5S 4800mah
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #29
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 120
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buds302 View Post
i wouldve never guessed malaysia....lol i was gonna say south FL casue the palm trees, open view... and what looked like a mexican walking on the track...lol
Hehe, you should get out more. I was guessing Singapore myself.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #30
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 260
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I thought that track is located in the Philippines .
__________________
Castle 1518 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .18TZ
Supermaxx with Trx 3.3
Revo 3.3
Kyosho ST-RR
george16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St Ives RC Club B4Bandit Australian Racing 16584 12-06-2017 03:53 AM
Race Results Addict sa RC Manila Racers 1028 03-29-2016 09:55 PM
Manufactures Agree To Limited Selection Of Tires For Electric Offroad Nationals Todd Hodge Electric Off-Road 95 08-06-2006 09:13 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:28 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net