R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xirtic
Default Cen Matrix Buggy Brushless Conversion....Looks a little like a SLASH

My growing dislike of Nitro powered vehicles prompted me to try this conversion. I also figured that I needed a new look since the original body was all chopped to allow airflow for an Axial .28 in that tight space. So the CORR look 4wd Matrix Brushless Buggy idea took shape. I am not a racer (mostly a basher) so I did not go high end on the motor. The guts consist of:

-Mamba Monster Max
-Feigao 540 8L Motor
-RC Monster Motor Plate
-Zippy-R 11.1v 4800mah 25C Lipo
-Cen Matrix Buggy with CF and Alum upgrades

Cen Matrix Buggy Brushless Conversion....Looks a little like a SLASH-matrixcorr_nolid1_c2.jpg

I then decided on the Proline body, painted it Pactra Candy Purple with a silver backing and some XXX-MAIN internal decals (I just cannot paint well). I finished it off with some custom body mounts, and a set of SLASH bumpers. I also went with Proline Badlands to complete the look.

Cen Matrix Buggy Brushless Conversion....Looks a little like a SLASH-matrixcorr_bumpers_front1_c2.jpg

Cen Matrix Buggy Brushless Conversion....Looks a little like a SLASH-matrixcorr_bumpers_side2_c2.jpg

Cen Matrix Buggy Brushless Conversion....Looks a little like a SLASH-matrixcorr_bumpers_side3_c2.jpg
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

looks cool its nice to see more people around here going brushless (btw im from elgin)
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Cheesecake...thanks. I truly cannot imagine why a person who just bashes would want to spend the time/effort to fight with nitro. I do understand that getting a nitro RTR is usually much less expensive initially than buying an out-of-the-box brushless (If you can find what you want) but once a brushless config is really set, it is just so much easier. It allows more time for driving, and less time tuning/fixing. If a person has some skills, they can buy a good roller and then convert to brushless for a really good cost. Since I only really BASH (except for Crawling....I compete there) I made an effort to gear/build my brushless configs to run on the same batteries (lipo). This keeps my battery costs down, and with 3-4 good large batteries, I can run for a bunch of hours. I have one more truck to convert (1/10th scale) and then I will be OUT of nitro.

Hopefully the guys on Chitown will get a good night for that party at LHR. I look forward to trying the 2 most recent conversions on the indoor track. I am Jeep_Guy on Chitown. Since you are in Elgin, have you been going to Barnyard on the rare chance that they are open? I have never gone...but was interested...but was turned off by the negative press.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Is the 8L enough power? I had a 7XL in my Brushless Truggy and it was nice and had tons of low end.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

It has a TON of get up and go. In fact, I cannot really get any serious traction. On asphalt, all 4 wheels spin and just bald tires in an afternoon. (I am not running the Badlands on the asphalt)...on grass it just skips along and slides everywhere. Dirt is similar to the grass experience. I wanted to go with an XL motor, but it simply would not fit in the chassis. The wires would hit the rear suspension. I am using a 6xl in my Duratrax Warhead....having ESC issues....waiting for a new warranty replacement unit to get here. BUT, the few seconds that it did work before smoking were a blast. That 6xl in the monster truck was NICE. I can see the need to go with more torque in the bigger vehicle. In the buggy, the 8L is a great match.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Tech Regular

How are those tires holding up for bashing? I decided to roll Moabs for my basher running on buggy rims.
DARKWAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

I have not had the badlands on asphalt with this motor setup as of yet. When I ran this buggy as nitro (.28 Axial Motor) the badlands just got chewed up FAST. So I expect similar if not worse as electric. My intent is to run a more street tread on asphalt, and then run these badlands for dirt/grass.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

What proline body is that? Does it fit it well? i have the matrix and ive always wondered/wanted one of those bodies.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
What proline body is that? Does it fit it well? i have the matrix and ive always wondered/wanted one of those bodies.

The body is the Pro-Line Hardcore Slash Body. I used Pro-Line Revo Extended Body Posts for the posts to hold the body. You can see them mounted in the first picture. I used the stock body lines for cutting, but behind the front wheels I had to trim a small amount. Other than that, it fits like it belonged there. You can see in the pics that the wheels look good within the wheel openings. To finish the look, I feel that getting at least a SLASH front bumper is important. I got a front and a rear bumper for $10 off of ebay. I used the diff chassis front screws for the front bumper (minor trimming) and the brace mounted to the tower. The rear bumper required small bracket fabrication and attached to the extended (UN-CUT) rear body posts. Body fitting took maybe 15 minutes. Bumper attachment/modification took maybe 30 minutes. I hope that this fully answers your question.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

nice...
Old 01-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
The body is the Pro-Line Hardcore Slash Body. I used Pro-Line Revo Extended Body Posts for the posts to hold the body. You can see them mounted in the first picture. I used the stock body lines for cutting, but behind the front wheels I had to trim a small amount. Other than that, it fits like it belonged there. You can see in the pics that the wheels look good within the wheel openings. To finish the look, I feel that getting at least a SLASH front bumper is important. I got a front and a rear bumper for $10 off of ebay. I used the diff chassis front screws for the front bumper (minor trimming) and the brace mounted to the tower. The rear bumper required small bracket fabrication and attached to the extended (UN-CUT) rear body posts. Body fitting took maybe 15 minutes. Bumper attachment/modification took maybe 30 minutes. I hope that this fully answers your question.
yes it does thank you
Old 01-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Looks very good ! , I want too go B/L in all of my cars also but it would cost way too much ....

I have Badlands on my buggy conversion too and I love them when the dirt gets loose or in grass , tons of traction ...
BashemSmashem is offline   Reply With Quote