Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Wanting to convert over to the quiet side >

Wanting to convert over to the quiet side

Wanting to convert over to the quiet side

Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Wanting to convert over to the quiet side

Hey guys. I currently have a Nitro 8T. I really like it, except out loose everything gets so quickly. I would like to either convert it to brushless or get a RC8T. I was a associated guy back in the day and the cars seem to be much better quality. Right now with my RB C6BB7T and can keep up with every nitro car at the local track. I would like to stay that way but more speed/and the power to blip right over the tripples with the need for such a head start.

Are electric truggys as capable as a electric buggy? I like how much more stable a truggy is.

So whats the best setup for a faster than nitro but not insane truggy setup whether its my current 8T or a brand new RC8T. I love associated. My bro has a .28 and my RB is close to it and I love that kind of power. Neighbors have been complaining lately. sucks. I got the Hyperion Duo charger already. So 4S or 5S w/e is better in the long run is cool with me. How long will the run times be? I think I want to keep the mechanical brakes but they option of giving them up would be great and hopefully I can switch from clutch to direct drive but will probably go direct drive.

If ne one has AIM and could chat with me s/n is SpeedFreak039A

I know the MMM V3 is a must.
Associated makes a conversion for the RC8 but it doesnt say what motors it will fit and if any batts with fit it. Whats the common kit? RCPD or RC Monster? Please help. I dont want to buy all the stuff and find out its not what I wanted and have to rebuy all the motor/battery setup twice. Thankx to other forums and their members my brushless heli is awesome.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

have you tried this forum?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sion-kits.html

u may get better responses there!!!

I have an EMBX5T. It's really fast and has TONS of torque for those doubles and tripples that the nitro guys struggle to make. Also, here is my electric conversion here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hx5Q3MHraM

If u go with my setup, i am sure you will like it. my setup is on my signature.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They are just as capable.. in fact I'd say they almost handle the insane power of a brushless setup better than a buggy. There are pros and cons of each conversion kit. Do you home work. The only drawback that I know in the Team AE kit is that the battery sits further out rather than a conversion that includes a new chassis which moves the center diff over a bit.

Here is my RC8 conversion page: http://opeongo.net/twiki/bin/view/Ba...mAssociatedRc8

Here's another converted RC8. http://www.carsports.com/earls18scaleopenrc8.html
Old 01-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The 8ight T makes an excellent electric truggy. The RCPD kit www.rcproductdesigns.com is the best on the market.

You can't go with the MMM combo or get the tried and true MMM and the Neu 1515/1Y powered by a Polyquest 4s 6000 or 5s 6000 and you will be set.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

^..I agree. 8ight-T is nice because the center diff is already offset so you can achieve optimal balance with minimal cost. Plus the 8ight-T is probably one of the lightest Truggy's already, that is another advantage converting it. (Not that BL motors need any help.) The biggest issue if you race is still mains lasting more than 15 minutes. If you want to do a battery swap you'll lose some time and your gear won't have any time to cool. If you just like running at the track then there is no better setup. Just plug in a battery and go. Except to see more and more club racing e-classes really soon.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There are two questions you need to answer honestly in order to figure out the best setup for your conversion.

1) How fast do you want to go
2) How long do you need to run on one battery pack

Once we know the answers to those questions, we can give you better direction. Based on your post, it sounds like you are racing, so there are several great options motor/voltage wise to give yourself a truggy that will either be about as fast as the fastest .28 you can find or you can go for just destroy any .28 ever made type speed.

However, you also have to weigh it against the type of run time you need at your track.

The LOSI is a great car to convert because it is already perfectly balanced with the offset center diff.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by badassrevo
The 8ight T makes an excellent electric truggy. The RCPD kit www.rcproductdesigns.com is the best on the market.

You can't go with the MMM combo or get the tried and true MMM and the Neu 1515/1Y powered by a Polyquest 4s 6000 or 5s 6000 and you will be set.
You mean I can go with the MMM? Thats a typo right? Now the MMM combo the truggys use the 2200kv setup or the 2650?

Thankx guys. Sounds like I should just keep my 8T.

the neu motor is a 2200kv motor by my research right? do I need the f for finned model? so between the 4s and the 5s just a simple regear and I could use either pack or is the 4s for track racing and the 5s for insane bashing?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Whats the diff between the 2.5D and the 1Y of the 1515 series?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yea it was a typo, I fixed it.

The 2200 is the motor you want.
If you get the Neu get the finned can.

I prefer 4s however I know some people that run the 5s and just turn down the EPA
Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated
There are two questions you need to answer honestly in order to figure out the best setup for your conversion.

1) How fast do you want to go
2) How long do you need to run on one battery pack

Once we know the answers to those questions, we can give you better direction. Based on your post, it sounds like you are racing, so there are several great options motor/voltage wise to give yourself a truggy that will either be about as fast as the fastest .28 you can find or you can go for just destroy any .28 ever made type speed.

However, you also have to weigh it against the type of run time you need at your track.

The LOSI is a great car to convert because it is already perfectly balanced with the offset center diff.
I dont race at this time but we goto the practice days to screw around and try to play race with people. so run time isnt too important but I would like atleast nitro run times or longer, so like 12min+. I mean whats average for these things to run? My heli runs like 5 min. I would like to be inbetween the .28 and beating a .28. It still has to be drivable obviously because I goto the track and try to compete. How many charges you getting out of a battery?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

How do you guys feel about the Tekno Conversion kit? Its only $110 at amain. I would like the option of mechanical or electric brakes since I been a nitro guy for years. What size batterys and stuff will the tekno batt case hold?

So your recommending me a 6ah battery in either 5s or 4s? I would probably go 5s. How long approx will that battery last as far as run time and amount of charges? You guys doing any 2c charging yet? Ive tried it on my heli a couple times since TP said it is possible for their batterys.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

i have tekno on my truggy. I love it. I do not use the manual brakes, but i would prefer manual brakes. i keep on doing front flips with my electric brakes. but tekno is a really good conversion kit. and i love their battery tray better than rc-monster. i never had RCPD tray, so i can not compare the them. tekno highly recommended!!!

what kit do u have?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

You mean what car? I have the 8T. I hate how loose everything gets and since i would get the Tekno conversion I was thinking maybe finding a decent RC8T or just the front and rear end/center diff. Since I would get the whole new Tekno Chassis.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

u can get the tekno for both the losi 8t and rc8t.

what do u mean loose?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

all the parts on the 8T are loose. all the holes were the hinge pins go. the axle carriers. there is no point in adjusting toe to an extent because the arms and everything wobbly. Just my opinion of the losi. So for the truggy people use the 1515, but whats the other number mean because some people use different models of it. Could u answer my batt questions above?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.