tenergy question

Old 12-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default tenergy question

me and my friend bought some tenergy 4500 packs for our slash's and he got a 4500 pack with yellow cells and i got the pack with red cells.is there any diferences bettween the packs
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how do you like the packs so far? i've heard some pretty bad things about those batts
Old 12-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

there pretty good batts . and if they were bad batts my lhs owner would sell them.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamcarpetfire
there pretty good batts . and if they were bad batts my lhs owner would sell them.
If they were or weren't? Or he would or he wouldn't? My local shop sells Tenergy too, he sells only what he believes (and his racers) works.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

oops i misspelled that what i meant was if they were bad batteries he would not sell them.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Count yourself lucky - I bought a pr of 4200 7cell Emaxx pacs and they are the worst cells I've ever owned, a total waste of money. New, they never charged to more than 3000mah even following a discharge and even that amount went downhill rapidly. They acted like they were old and had been sitting for a long time before I got them. Cycling them did no good either.

Contacting Tenergy was also a waste of time, "electrical - you're on your own" was the all the help I got from them. You were lucky enough to get some that were apparently fresh - thank your lhs owner for that.

They won't see my money again, I'll stick with someone I can depend on.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Count yourself lucky - I bought a pr of 4200 7cell Emaxx pacs and they are the worst cells I've ever owned, a total waste of money. New, they never charged to more than 3000mah even following a discharge and even that amount went downhill rapidly. They acted like they were old and had been sitting for a long time before I got them. Cycling them did no good either.

Contacting Tenergy was also a waste of time, "electrical - you're on your own" was the all the help I got from them. You were lucky enough to get some that were apparently fresh - thank your lhs owner for that.

They won't see my money again, I'll stick with someone I can depend on.
Huh, we got the same reply on some VENOM packs......electrical, yer on yer own. Almost sounds like industry standard rule.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

the diff between the colors is junky VS crappy
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
the diff between the colors is junky VS crappy
+1 and a BIG LOL!

for the cost of the tenergy packs you could buy a zippy 4000 li-po.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

I had 3 of these I used with my Losi XXX buggy a few years ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-7-2V-3800mAh-N...3A1%7C294%3A50

They really weren't that bad for the money. They were rather inconsistent though, sort of reminded me of old radio shack NiCD batteries in a way. I had a pretty high-end charger but still experienced really flat runs at times then really peppy long runs at other times. None of my other Orion packs ever did this and I never treated the two types any differently. Granted these were almost half the price of the Orions.

I have some tenergy AA, AAA and C's hanging around the house for kids' toys but I wouldn't purchase them again for RC use other than maybe for the transmitter. They do have a decent life on them at least. I've had some for over two years now and they still work fine. But again, not the best battery for high drain devices (which RC is probably the king of). The price is right though so I suppose they might not be a bad idea to try, at least for bashing. Sometimes I think I may have been doing something wrong with charging since I got such a variation of performance from them.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

returned the box of cells i tried on behalf of the club last yr, glad to get my $ back b/c for cells touted as 700mah, they were lucky to take 300, and they sure didnt give it back on cycle either. gar-bage

R
Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought some of their el-cheapo NiCDs so my girlfriend's son could bash around with them. After only about 3 cycles they stutter badly if you try to hammer the throttle after only running for a few minutes.

Then again, I did say el-cheapo.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My Tenergy 4500 "red" pack only lasted about 5 charges. Had a bad cell in it from the start.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've got some of the Yellow/Red Tenergy Propels. I use then in 6-cell and 4-cell packs (B4 and 12th scale). Are they great? No. Are they usable? Yes. They can be used for bashing and lower-Amp racing. Compared to good cells like EP 4600 and enerG 4600, they don't deliver the voltage or runtime. They seem to get hotter than other cells during racing and charging. Bought them off eBay for "pretty cheap" from All-battery.com. The 2nd order where I got 24 cells, they shipped me the Red ones and not the Propel (Yellow/Red) - they may have had someone in their packing department not read it right. They fixed that and sent the right ones. So far, I'd say "good cheap batteries" but I wouldn't run them for important races if I were you.

I've done some Battery Tests on the Propels and enclosed the graph here.
Attached Thumbnails tenergy question-propel-vs.-others.jpg   tenergy question-propel-4cell-vs.-others.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

i thought they were good when i bouht them but i thought wrong!!!!!!!!!! my truck died so i thought my charger was not chargin it so i gave my friend the pack he put it on his ice and it said it was done. so i took it to the owner and told him the battery wasnt working well and he checked it and it had 0VOLTS!!. right after it was done charging and it was still warm. exchanged it for a dynafun 4500. DONT BUY TENERGY